Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

I think Kelly Thompson's run on Captain Marvel has surpassed Kelly Sue Deconnick's for me.

Dennis Hopeless' Spider-Woman is what made Jessica Drew my favorite character

Waid/Samnee Black Widow
    Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.
    Co-Host of the Attilan Rising Podcast Follow @SpiderWomnDaily on Twitter, and check out To Know Her Is To Fear Here: The Spider-Woman Podcast

Extraordinary Member

I'm going to list my favorite runs in terms of characterization. This doesn't necessarily mean the best run they were in but the one that features my favorite take on that particular character.

Scarlet Witch: Kurt Busiek Avengers (with Abnett/Lanning Force Works as a close runner-up)
    Wasp: Roger Stern/John Buscema Avengers
    Vision: Roy Thomas Avengers
    Hawkeye: Thunderbolts
    Captain America: J.M. DeMatteis Captain America
    Iron Man: Archie Goodwin Iron Man
    Peter Parker/Spider-Man: Lee/Romita Spider-Man
    Reed Richards: Mark Waid Fantastic Four
    Sue Storm/Invisible Girl/Woman: John Byrne FF
    Johnny Storm/Human Torch: Chris Claremont FF
    Ben Grimm/Thing: Lee/Kirby FF
    Daredevil/Matt Murdock: Ann Nocenti

I was going to do this for the individual X-Men but I find I can't separate most of them in my mind from Chris Claremont because he wrote it for so long and has so much influence on later characterizations.
    Last edited by gurkle; 02-02-2020 at 04:25 PM.

Hold your machete tight! Personamanx's Avatar

For Spider-Man I would probably give it to Brian Bendis, and the totality of his Ultimate Spider-Man stories. I don't think there's been any other runs of any length that were as consistent or as enjoyable.
    Continuity, even in a "shared" comics universe is often insignificant if not largely detrimental to the quality of a comic.

Immortal X-Men - Once & Future- X-Cellent - X-Men: Red

Nobody cares about what you don't like, they barely care about what you do like.

Busiek/Bagley on T-Bolts:

Fabian Nicieza on T-Bolts:

Peter David on Captain Marvel:

Quote Originally Posted by Flash Gordon View Post
    Ellis/Shalvey on Moon Knight
    Agreed. Too bad it only lasted six issues:

Quote Originally Posted by cc008 View Post
    Nicieza - Gambit
    Agreed. It seems Nicieza is one of the few who can write Remy:

Quote Originally Posted by Personamanx View Post
    For Spider-Man I would probably give it to Brian Bendis.
    Agreed. Bendis' Ultimate Peter Parker will live on in our hearts:
    Last edited by K7P5V; 02-03-2020 at 01:04 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Marvell2100 View Post
    Jim Starlin on Silver Surfer
    Totally agree. As long as Ron Lim was at the helm, I enjoyed the first three runs of the Silver Surfer...

Englehart - 80's run:

Starlin - 90's run:

Marz - 90's run:

Quote Originally Posted by Personamanx View Post
    For Spider-Man I would probably give it to Brian Bendis, and the totality of his Ultimate Spider-Man stories. I don't think there's been any other runs of any length that were as consistent or as enjoyable.
    Bendis took 40 years of actual innovation, cherry-picked the stuff he liked, and everyone acted like something was being created. The Marvel Adventures Spider-Man did the exact same thing without all the pretension.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Grapeweasel View Post
    Bendis took 40 years of actual innovation, cherry-picked the stuff he liked, and everyone acted like something was being created. The Marvel Adventures Spider-Man did the exact same thing without all the pretension.
    So does Spencer’s work and you don’t see anyone else complaining.

Hold your machete tight! Personamanx's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Grapeweasel View Post
    Yeah, it's about as derivative as any franchise comic with 30+ years of history behind it. He had the benefit of being able to start fresh, had a lot of stories to pull elements from, and was successful enough for long term arcs to have actual pay offs. Not to mention having long stretches with excellent artists that paired well with the narrative directions at their time. The book had everything going for it, and the result is one of the most consistently enjoyable runs of superhero comics under a single writer.

Marvel Adventures Spider-Man was great, and had similar advantages. Freedom from established continuity while being able to draw upon elements from the character's long history to create stories. There were certainly some fantastic done-in-ones, and mini-arcs. But it was never in its nature to be terribly ambitious, and the frequent changes in creative teams make it difficult to place onto any "best runs" list.
    Continuity, even in a "shared" comics universe is often insignificant if not largely detrimental to the quality of a comic.

Immortal X-Men - Once & Future- X-Cellent - X-Men: Red

Nobody cares about what you don't like, they barely care about what you do like.

Quote Originally Posted by PCN24454 View Post
    So does Spencer’s work and you don’t see anyone else complaining.
    gonna get this post tattooed on my back

Hmmm, for Cap it's a tie between Gruenwald's ten year run, and Waid's Captain America vol. 3, for me.

Quote Originally Posted by K7P5V View Post
    Totally agree. As long as Ron Lim was at the helm, I enjoyed the first three runs of the Silver Surfer...

Englehart - 80's run:

Starlin - 90's run:

Marz - 90's run:
    That run had me on the edge of my seat with each issue.

Extraordinary Member Zero Hunter's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by K7P5V View Post

Englehart - 80's run:

Starlin - 90's run:

Marz - 90's run:
    It broke my heart when that book starting falling apart. After Lim left it was just never the same. The book spent 100 issues making the Surfer a true cosmic hero but it seemed like every writer after Marz just wanted to do retreds of the tourtured poor soul version from the original Stan Lee run. I mean the book had good writers with the likes of George Perez and J.M. DeMatteis, but it could never capture the fun of those first 105 issues and the art was no where near as good as when Lim was on the book. When Lim left with issue 92 you could kind of feel Marz losing interest and he was gone a year latter himself.

Quote Originally Posted by capandkirby View Post
    Hmmm, for Cap it's a tie between Gruenwald's ten year run, and Waid's Captain America vol. 3, for me.
    Agreed. But Waid's run from Vol. 1 will always be my favorite:

Quote Originally Posted by Marvell2100 View Post
    That run had me on the edge of my seat with each issue.
    Agreed. Bringing back Thanos & making him an adversary for the Silver Surfer did wonders for Marvel Cosmic:

Quote Originally Posted by Zero Hunter View Post
    It broke my heart when that book starting falling apart. After Lim left it was just never the same. The book spent 100 issues making the Surfer a true cosmic hero but it seemed like every writer after Marz just wanted to do retreds of the tourtured poor soul version from the original Stan Lee run. I mean the book had good writers with the likes of George Perez and J.M. DeMatteis, but it could never capture the fun of those first 105 issues and the art was no where near as good as when Lim was on the book. When Lim left with issue 92 you could kind of feel Marz losing interest and he was gone a year latter himself.
    Agreed. However, I always thought DeMatteis' run had potential (especially with pleasant artwork from the ever-reliable Ron Garney):

Claremont/ Lobdell/Nicieza on X-men
    Hama/Claremont on Wolverine
    Simonson on Thor
    Busiek on Avengers
    Grunewald on Captain America
    Dixon on Punisher
    Peter David on Hulk, X-Factor
    Howard Mackie Ghost Rider, Mutant X
    John Byrne on Alpha Flight