Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Incredible Member

Default Mike Tyson Prime vs Michael Jai White Prime

Who takes it.

Lin Kuei Grandmaster Sub-Zero MKA's Avatar

MJW will need some serious feats. Tyson was an absolute monster in his prime.
    DBM | Sarada | Parsley

ROLL TIDE ROLL!

nice to meet ya! master of read's Avatar

as much as i love MJW, he will need some BIG feats to deal with tyson in his prime.

tyson was a total beast back in the day: impressive technique, fast for a HW and scary, scary SCARY power.

I have no doubt that MJW is a skilled dude but Tyson is killing him in a fight.

Astonishing Member

Does MJW have any kind of fighting record? Because if he does I don't actually see Tyson doing too well. MJW's bigger and is trained in BJJ.

Tyson in his prime?

That's how he fought with rules and a ref...

Tyson eats his heart.
    Reimagined public domain superheroes in a 1945 that never was!
    Read the superhero webcomic THE POWER OF STARDUST!

nice to meet ya! master of read's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by wjowski View Post
    Does MJW have any kind of fighting record? Because if he does I don't actually see Tyson doing too well. MJW's bigger and is trained in BJJ.
    not that i know of. i know dude is very well trained but i haven't seen him in actual fights/competitions to really gauge how he would actually fair.

I don’t know much about MJW but he’s allegedly got some experience in Buh-JJ.

At which point this basically turns into the Ronda vs. Floyd thread from back in the day. Fun times.

(INSERT DEVIL’S ADVOCATE)
    Not really but you know, it’s the old grappling vs. striking debate, and unlike Floyd, Tyson wouldn’t have the male physiological advantage present in that fight. Also MJW seems to have better striking than Ronda which could help him close to clinch range without getting one-shotted.

Anyway, a lot of unknowns here. Tyson would obviously destroy him standing up. It’s the grappling that gives me a little hesitation. This ain’t Royce vs Jimmerson by any stretch.

EDIT: Bah, what do I know. Prime Mike may just be able to smash him in the liver/skull as he comes in and drop the guy like that. I’ve never been purposefully hit by a pro boxer. Slammed on my head/neck in randori a couple times but I don’t know how that compares.
    Last edited by Harbinger19; 02-02-2020 at 01:14 AM.
    "What I sought, I could not obtain."

"This is a meaningless battle. We are two madmen engaging in senseless folley."

"I will kill, I will let live..."

--Genuine Fake Priest Kotomine Kirei

Astonishing Member Captain Morgan's Avatar

Mayweather also has a reputation for not hitting very hard. I dunno how accurate it is, but my vague undestanding is he generally relies on points instead of damage. Well, except when he beats his wives or girlfriends I guess. Tyson was not known for hitting light.

Rumbles Limbo Champion big_adventure's Avatar

Tyson absolutely destroys. The dude was an absolute monster, with crazy reflexes and shocking hitting power.
    "But... But I want to be a big karate cyborg... ;_;" - Nik Hasta
    "Get off my lawn! ...on this forum, that just makes people think of Cyclops." - Sharpandpointies
    "...makes me think the Night King just says "Screw the rules, I have magic money" when it comes to physics." -Captain Morgan

The Weeping Mod Sharpandpointies's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Harbinger19 View Post
    I don’t know much about MJW but he’s allegedly got some experience in Buh-JJ.

At which point this basically turns into the Ronda vs. Floyd thread from back in the day. Fun times.

(INSERT DEVIL’S ADVOCATE)
    Not really but you know, it’s the old grappling vs. striking debate, and unlike Floyd, Tyson wouldn’t have the male physiological advantage present in that fight. Also MJW seems to have better striking than Ronda which could help him close to clinch range without getting one-shotted.

Anyway, a lot of unknowns here. Tyson would obviously destroy him standing up. It’s the grappling that gives me a little hesitation. This ain’t Royce vs Jimmerson by any stretch.

EDIT: Bah, what do I know. Prime Mike may just be able to smash him in the liver/skull as he comes in and drop the guy like that. I’ve never been purposefully hit by a pro boxer. Slammed on my head/neck in randori a couple times but I don’t know how that compares.
    The issue with MJW is that he has zero feats for actual fighting, is my understanding.

Would I give an extremely skilled and experienced BJJ artist with feats a solid chance of taking Mike Tyson down and strangling him out? Sure. I'm pretty cool with, all things being equal, a pure grappler taking a pure striker down and winning far more often than not. That's been shown enough times in the past. Thus, even if the pure grappler didn't quite have Tyson's fight record, I'd be fine with them taking a majority so long as the physicality was somewhat on par. Especially since it's boxing, which focuses its practitioners specifically on deal with punches above the belt, and pretty much nothing else. <-- this is not me saying 'boxing sucks', this is just what boxing is.

But I wouldn't give that to MJW because he has zero fight record. Given the fighters involved, Tyson has the actual fighting feats (even if, yes, it's in a boxing ring with rules) to back up him taking this rather handily.
    Last edited by Sharpandpointies; 02-03-2020 at 05:32 AM.
    Why are we here?

"Superboy Prime (the yelling guy if he needs clarification)..." - Postmania
    "...dropping an orca whale made of fire on your enemies is a pretty strong opening move." - Nik
    "Why throw punches when you can be making everyone around you sterile mutant corpses?" - Pendaran, regarding Dr. Fate

Rumbles Limbo Champion big_adventure's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sharpandpointies View Post
    The issue with MJW is that he has zero feats for actual fighting, is my understanding.

Would I give an extremely skilled and experienced BJJ artist with feats a solid chance of taking Mike Tyson down and strangling him out? Sure. I'm pretty cool with, all things being equal, a pure grappler taking a pure striker down and winning far more often than not. That's been shown enough times in the past. Thus, even if the pure grappler didn't quite have Tyson's fight record, I'd be fine with them taking a majority so long as the physicality was somewhat on par. Especially since it's boxing, which focuses its practitioners specifically on deal with punches above the belt, and pretty much nothing else. <-- this is not me saying 'boxing sucks', this is just what boxing is.

But I wouldn't give that to MJW because he has zero fight record. Given the fighters involved, Tyson has the actual fighting feats (even if, yes, it's in a boxing ring with rules) to back up him taking this rather handily.
    Just to comment on this - and I know that we've discussed these things before between us - the "physicality" thing there is pretty important. Up until recently, nobody in any other activity trained fight-specific skills and abilities like professional boxers do. That's for a ton of reasons, but mostly because, up until MMA became a thing (which effectively just adds more people training professionally to be fighters), people needed jobs, and so the couldn't dedicate hours a day to purely physical combat related training. Pro boxers can take hits and deliver them in ways other people simply cannot, an they have the endurance to do both of those things for MUCH longer than anyone else. I don't care what kind of physical condition someone is in, if they haven't specifically trained for these things, they'll get annihilated by a boxer, especially one like Tyson.

So when you say "an extremely skilled and experienced BJJ artist" I hope you are talking about someone who is at the very least a professional fighter and not just some dude who spends a dozen hours a week in a dojo, because if not, Tyson is going to destroy the person.
    "But... But I want to be a big karate cyborg... ;_;" - Nik Hasta
    "Get off my lawn! ...on this forum, that just makes people think of Cyclops." - Sharpandpointies
    "...makes me think the Night King just says "Screw the rules, I have magic money" when it comes to physics." -Captain Morgan

The Weeping Mod Sharpandpointies's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by big_adventure View Post
    Just to comment on this - and I know that we've discussed these things before between us - the "physicality" thing there is pretty important. Up until recently, nobody in any other activity trained fight-specific skills and abilities like professional boxers do. That's for a ton of reasons, but mostly because, up until MMA became a thing (which effectively just adds more people training professionally to be fighters), people needed jobs, and so the couldn't dedicate hours a day to purely physical combat related training. Pro boxers can take hits and deliver them in ways other people simply cannot, an they have the endurance to do both of those things for MUCH longer than anyone else. I don't care what kind of physical condition someone is in, if they haven't specifically trained for these things, they'll get annihilated by a boxer, especially one like Tyson.

So when you say "an extremely skilled and experienced BJJ artist" I hope you are talking about someone who is at the very least a professional fighter and not just some dude who spends a dozen hours a week in a dojo, because if not, Tyson is going to destroy the person.
    I'm gonna quote myself here for clarity:

Would I give an extremely skilled and experienced BJJ artist with feats a solid chance of taking Mike Tyson down and strangling him out? Sure.
    I'm pretty cool with, all things being equal, a pure grappler taking a pure striker down and winning far more often than not.
    Thus, even if the pure grappler didn't quite have Tyson's fight record, I'd be fine with them taking a majority so long as the physicality was somewhat on par.
    Some dude who is, by my standards, a recreational martial artist (a dozen hours a week practicing, in your words), is not what I've noted above. Cripes, Michael Jae White is likely more than that in terms of practice, and I've noted that Tyson takes this 'rather handily'.

Clarity is good. ^_^
    Last edited by Sharpandpointies; 02-03-2020 at 07:35 AM. Reason: Missed one.
    Why are we here?

"Superboy Prime (the yelling guy if he needs clarification)..." - Postmania
    "...dropping an orca whale made of fire on your enemies is a pretty strong opening move." - Nik
    "Why throw punches when you can be making everyone around you sterile mutant corpses?" - Pendaran, regarding Dr. Fate

I pretty much word for word agree with Sharp's breakdown here.

Without actual fight experience or a proper education with some demonstrated feats, Tyson should turn the guy into hamburger.
    "At the end of the day, Arby is a pretty prolific poster proposing a plurality of proper posts for us."
    - big_adventure