Page 30 of 43 FirstFirst ... 2026272829303132333440 ... LastLast

I hope this wasn't already posted

It's from X-Men / Alpha Flight: The Gift

It's really one of my favorite scenes, and it's when I fell in love with Rogue!
    Broken English Spoken Perfectly

Astonishing Member Sandmans_Raven's Avatar

That is a really great page. Such a good era of X-Men. As a side note, I always forget Rogue speaks French
    Make Good Art

My favourite panel from the Dark Phoenix saga is actually one where Mastermind gets his comeuppance. It was just such an incredibly cathartic moment because this guy had screwed X-men and particularly Jean every six ways from Sunday. X-men do break free but it looks like Mastermind might still escape...nope, Jean got the drop on him and got it good:
    jeanie1.jpg

And the final payback. This may not seem a big deal today but at the time it was huge character moment for Jean. At that point, X-men still largely believed in the 'system'. Bad guys were usually given the classic 'tie them up and leave them to police' treatment. Guess Wolverine might sometimes do something crazy. For some time they had gradually dropped hints that deep down Jean might have similar mean streak as Wolverine. And here she brings it forth. None of the other X-men at the time would have done this - even Wolverine would have just killed the guy and that's it. Jean declares she will do something worse and does it:
    jeanie2.jpg

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by niconico00 View Post

I have always thought that the best mutants are the ones who's powers are steeped or have caused them real tragedy.

All-New Member

This issue has stayed with me to this day. Super moving and powerful.

E7F37181-6E83-4C86-8C25-CFE9E5EE4602.jpg

Extraordinary Member From The Shadows's Avatar

That and the dance (which I posted) are some of my fave scenes from this crossover.

Quote Originally Posted by Sbono13 View Post
    This issue has stayed with me to this day. Super moving and powerful.

E7F37181-6E83-4C86-8C25-CFE9E5EE4602.jpg
    Cameron Hodge was a grade a creep.

Astonishing Member

(picture)
    (picture)

Scenes like that make me think it would be more interesting if the idea of mutant power surpression medicine was more of a grey shaded subject than a black and white one in the X-men comics.

Because the standard narrative for this kind of subject seems to go simply with "No that would be genocide, be proud of your powers!".
    Which isn't helped by writers over the past 20 years pushing the "mutant race" narrative more and more into a deep line.
    All while still apparently wanting the other metaphors to be still part of their narrative too. Which seems further pushes a black and white presentation for anything that handles the point of dangers and problems caused by mutant powers (including for the mutants themselves).

But there is the catch, because as seen with Rogue and many other mutants, the metaphor includes disability and harmfull conditions and how it makes people pariahs or problems for societies.

However in that metaphor anything that can help a mutant handle their powers better or get some way of relief from them should be a grey subject, not black and white one.
    Because there are plenty of people with mental and physical disabilities or conditions who can handle life a lot better with the medicine they get. Medicine which however can also be abused as drugs or has problematic side effects.
    For example antidepressants.

So yeah an emotional moment for one part of the mutant metaphor, highlighting how the powers that make mutants what they are, can be blessings for some, a curse for others and sometimes even both. The X-gene is a lottery and only few hit the jackpot.
    Last edited by Grunty; 09-23-2020 at 04:13 AM.

I just thought I'd point out the XM/AF crossover is only called The Gift in trade and not to be mixed up with the Bolton back up story in classic x-men.

90's X-Men with Colossus. In a moment of grief...

This may not be as powerful as the others but it made an impact with me showing all of Rachels summers most important memories.

Quote Originally Posted by From The Shadows View Post
    That and the dance (which I posted) are some of my fave scenes from this crossover.

Cameron Hodge was a grade a creep.
    Yes, I perhaps hated him the most out of all the villains because he pretended to be someone's friend.

Quote Originally Posted by Big Joe View Post
    This is exactly what I was thinking. It's how Thunderbird kind of foreshadows Blink.

Speaking of Sean, I also liked how his actual strength was first really shown "and ye Major Maple Leaf ..... ye're the man to blame". He seemed to be quite fond of Moira all the way back then. How's he going to react when he finds out she and Xavier have been using him for years? Written well, that could be properly powerful and emotional.
    Yes he was, but he was expecting a rather sturdy woman to put it politely at the sound of her name and hearing she was from the Scots Guard. But as soon as he opened the door he was hooked.

That's what makes it fun! Ricochet Rita's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by From The Shadows View Post
    This may not be as powerful as the others but it made an impact with me showing all of Rachels summers most important memories.

GOSH.

Till this moment, I never noticed that these wonderful pages are built upon a structure such as... 'Watchmen', you may say?

Nop. The Hernandez Bros.

Awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by sunofdarkchild View Post
    OMG you are alive Fokken.
    I'm just now seeing this. hahaha. Was I dead? Is this Krakoa?

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Fokken View Post
    I'm just now seeing this. hahaha. Was I dead? Is this Krakoa?
    You seemed to disappear when the movie came out. At least that's what I thought.