Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default X-Men Unlimited #108 - "The Redroot Saga" Part 3 (FoX connection)

After killing the corrupted Summoner that was trying to kill Sunfire, Sheriff Whitechapel introduces herself and tells him how she's fond of Witchbreed. She mounts her horse and Sunfire follows her as they fly to her and her posse's base. She tells him that since Saturnyne left Otherworld they've been dealing with feral Summoners, roving Vescora and other untamed threats.

They arrive at her base which she informs Shiro used to be a Blightswill refinery...

(My babies! Nice continuity nod as this is Betsy's small stealth group while the others were in the Crooked Market.)

She introduces him to Oso, one of her posse (first seen in Excalibur, he's the cutie wearing the bear head.) He's also a mutant as many of her crew are. Shiro is feeling the effects of Blightspoke and doubles over as Whitechapel tries to steady him.

Apparently after the Knights freed what is now Whitechapel's refinery, Orchis brought in heavy forces and turned their last remaining distillery into a fortress. Whitechapel points to it far in the distance up on a hill. We get a brief flashback as she tells Shiro about how she and her crew tried taking Orchis out but didn't expect them to bring Stark Sentinels with them. She lost a lot of her people that day. She does her best to take out stray Orchis goons when she can but they can't directly take on the fortress.

Sunfire looks down at his hand and the splinter compass is of course pointing directly at the Orchis distillery. As they continue to talk, Oso suddenly pushes Whitechapel aside as they are ambushed by a Sentinel. Oso takes a direct hit and is knocked out. The Sentinel announces its detection of the x-gene and proceeds with intended neutralization of Shiro. Whitechapel fires at it as Shiro powers up and tells her to get her men to safety. She puts big boy Oso on her back and flees as Shiro launches at the Sentinel.

Unfortunately it's too much for already weakened Shiro and he's slammed to the ground by its blast. The Sentinel amends its directive and proceeds to retrieve a barely conscious Shiro. He locks eyes with Whitechapel for a moment as she and Oso run before he blacks out.

The next page is black and then we see a pair of feet near Shiro who is pretty beat up on the ground. His eyes are starting to open as the mysterious figure speaks to him.

"Well, well, well... look what my big metal cat dragged in."
    Last edited by JB; 10-08-2023 at 10:53 PM.
    "Danielle... I intend to do something rash and violent." - Betsy Braddock
    Krakoa, Arakko, and Otherworld forever!

"Next: Moira X-plains it All!"

This issue was awesome and I did not expect the story to wrap into Fall of X. It's good to know at least that Orchis is down to one last distillery and I'm hopeful it'll be destroyed by the end. We know that Shiro somehow escapes with Redroot but then he gets lost in Otherworld. It would be dope if Whitechapel informs Betsy and Rachel that he's in Otherworld and they somehow find him.

I don't know why but I'm actually enjoying Moira as a villain for the few shots we've had of her. I hate that they made her a full mutant hating villain after Inferno but she's funny. I wish they didn't ditched Omega though.

The story was cool for the nods to the other series. A bit sad hat it's really quick.

Extraordinary Member Master of Sound's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jbenito View Post
    After killing the corrupted Summoner that was trying to kill Sunfire, Sheriff Whitechapel introduces herself and tells him how she's fond of Witchbreed. She mounts her horse and Sunfire follows her as they fly to her and her posse's base. She tells him that since Saturnyne left Otherworld they've been dealing with feral Summoners, roving Vescora and other untamed threats.

They arrive at her base which she informs Shiro used to be a Blightswill refinery...

(My babies! Nice continuity nod as this is Betsy's small stealth group while the others were in the Crooked Market.)

She introduces him to Oso, one of her posse (first seen in Excalibur, he's the cutie wearing the bear head.) He's also a mutant as many of her crew are. Shiro is feeling the effects of Blightspoke and doubles over as Whitechapel tries to steady him.

Apparently after the Knights freed what is now Whitechapel's refinery, Orchis brought in heavy forces and turned their last remaining distillery into a fortress. Whitechapel points to it far in the distance up on a hill. We get a brief flashback as she tells Shiro about how she and her crew tried taking Orchis out but didn't expect them to bring Stark Sentinels with them. She lost a lot of her people that day. She does her best to take out stray Orchis goons when she can but they can't directly take on the fortress.

Sunfire looks down at his hand and the splinter compass is of course pointing directly at the Orchis distillery. As they continue to talk, Oso suddenly pushes Whitechapel aside as they are ambushed by a Sentinel. Oso takes a direct hit and is knocked out. The Sentinel announces its detection of the x-gene and proceeds with intended neutralization of Shiro. Whitechapel fires at it as Shiro powers up and tells her to get her men to safety. She puts big boy Oso on her back and flees as Shiro launches at the Sentinel.

Unfortunately it's too much for already weakened Shiro and he's slammed to the ground by its blast. The Sentinel amends its directive and proceeds to retrieve a barely conscious Shiro. He locks eyes with Whitechapel for a moment as she and Oso run before he blacks out.

The next page is black and then we see a pair of feet near Shiro who is pretty beat up on the ground. His eyes are starting to open as the mysterious figure speaks to him.

"Well, well, well... look what my big metal cat dragged in."
    Great written summary! I think this is one of the best Unlimited stories so far. I hope they continue with this quality. Also great to have focus on Sunfire as well as on Sheriff Gia and her posse.
    "COURAGE, DON'T YOU DARE LET ME DOWN"
    ==================================================
    ==================================================

Thanks for the thread, Jbenito. A pleasure to read, as always.

I thoroughly enjoyed this. The Steves are really cooking with plasma on this mini.
    From the lore drops to the cameos to continuously citing how HAWT Shiro is, and now Miss Moira herself?

Despite my own preference for the physical copy experience, I must admit that having this story so speedily fed to us on the app has been a real treat. And I must compliment Larraz on Shiro's sleek & sexy suit, once more. That **** is fire.

Astonishing Member

It was moria all along ? That's some dedication to spite

Quote Originally Posted by Master of Sound View Post
    Great written summary! I think this is one of the best Unlimited stories so far. I hope they continue with this quality. Also great to have focus on Sunfire as well as on Sheriff Gia and her posse.
    Thank you! I agree, this is really enjoyable. If anyone out there has been unsure about subscribing to Unlimited, this story is definitely worth giving it a try for.

Quote Originally Posted by Fokken View Post
    Thanks for the thread, Jbenito. A pleasure to read, as always.

I thoroughly enjoyed this. The Steves are really cooking with plasma on this mini.
    From the lore drops to the cameos to continuously citing how HAWT Shiro is, and now Miss Moira herself?

Despite my own preference for the physical copy experience, I must admit that having this story so speedily fed to us on the app has been a real treat. And I must compliment Larraz on Shiro's sleek & sexy suit, once more. That **** is fire.
    My pleasure!

I find myself excited on Sunday nights because of this story, the same way I am on Tuesday nights. The Steves are doing a great job and the link to Knights of X continuity is so smooth. The art team is killing it! Those panels of Sunfire versus the Sentinel were gorgeous.

"Dear Old Friend Moira" - Isn't Sunfire like the person from the old Giant-Size roster she spent the least with? Other than Thunderbird.

Love how the story is moving along BUT IDK which one of them decided to give her the southern draw characterization but Giada Whitechapel did not sound like that before and im sorry i hated everytime she opened her mouth.

Isnt she from otherworld.

But like I said they are doing a great job at moving the story along and excited to see what comes next.

I wonder what they're going to do with Moira now that Krakoa is ending.

Quote Originally Posted by CGAR View Post
    Love how the story is moving along BUT IDK which one of them decided to give her the southern draw characterization but Giada Whitechapel did not sound like that before and im sorry i hated everytime she opened her mouth.

Isnt she from otherworld.

But like I said they are doing a great job at moving the story along and excited to see what comes next.
    Yeah the sudden country bumpkin vibe they gave her took me aback a little. But I appreciate that she's still putting her life on the line for her mutant crew and the concern she showed for Shiro was sweet and genuine.

Sharing this beautiful image because Sunfire is so gorgeous and this image of Redroot is fire.

Quote Originally Posted by Fokken View Post
    Sharing this beautiful image because Sunfire is so gorgeous and this image of Redroot is fire.

Argh Reddit can be finicky so in case anyone can't see it on their browser, booya.

I hope he rescues her next issue and like you mentioned previously, that they have some bonding time.

orchis in space, on earth, in the otherworld, with demons, and I suppose orchis in the ten kingdoms... it's starting to be ridiculous to put them everywhere and when in moira each of his affiliations are catastrophic and me reminder of how good she was under Hickman and how Percy ruined her forever even if technically it's not Moira but a machine with her last memory.

Can someone explain how there are mutants in Otherworld? Are they originally from Earth or does the X-Gene also manifest among Otherworld's inhabitants?