Page 35 of 43 FirstFirst ... 25313233343536373839 ... LastLast
    Amazing Member

I don't visit here a lot and it's near impossible to catch up on a 34 page thread immediately.

I think the comic that most fits as "most emotional" and "powerful" would be X-Men (Vol. 1) #46.
    Professor X had died and the Team had to break up.
    Scott Summers got a job as a DJ at a radio station.
    Jean Grey became a model.
    To change your life that drastically... sheesh.. it must have opened the doors to all sorts of confusing emotions.

Sarveśām Svastir Bhavatu Devaishwarya's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by psylurker View Post
    These early John Romita Jr stories are SO good. The Michael Rossi/Rogue issue made me a Rogue fan for life while the other story where Ororo shields Rogue from Forge's gun, followed by the masterful Lifedeath, made me fall in love with Ororo.
    Because you mentioned them...and because they were emotional and powerful stories, from start to finish.
    UXM 182.jpg
    UXM 185 cov.jpg
    UXM 186.jpg
    My Summer rain. My rooftop in Japan. My quiet in the storm. *cries* Al Ewing is GOD...Praise His name! Uplift Him in song! Glorify His works!

Quote Originally Posted by Devaishwarya View Post
    Because you mentioned them...and because they were emotional and powerful stories, from start to finish.
    UXM 185 cov.jpg
    I always liked this cover.
    Some of us wait, some of us act.

Astonishing Member your_name_here's Avatar

Surprised it’s not been on yet...

Extraordinary Member From The Shadows's Avatar

The original Pyro and his sacrifice.

Cyclops educates Reverend Stryker.

X-23. Also Hellion in the first page.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by From The Shadows View Post
    X-23. Also Hellion in the first page.

I absolutely hated this. Liu completely screwed Hellion over.

Everyone in this arc was "Poor Laura, bad, angry Julian needs to stay away from her" while Wolverine and Gambit are shitting all over him for Karima despite them having done far, FAR worse and never been punished for it. All of Julian's issues got chalked up to him being a dick, while Laura was a traumatized victim over her past. It completely ignores he's a kid who got booted by his parents, TWICE, (including them literally just up and moving without giving him a forwarding address) watched 99% of his friends and peers get depowered then a substantial number of THEM get BLOWN UP. He lost his hands and the best anyone could do for him was pump him full of painkillers (and that's from actual dialogue) and tell him to man up about it. His not-quite girlfriend sneaks away in the middle of the night and leaves him alone to deal with all of it himself without even saying good bye. When Karima attacks Utopia, he watches EVERYONE get taken out, leaving him the only person in a position to act. For a moment Karima reasserts control, and she BEGS HIM TO KILL HER before her programming takes over again, so Hellion does literally the only thing he could and grants that request, and literally EVERYONE treats him like he's now a monster and villain as a result, while Cyclops locks him up with Wolverine for not being repentant enough over doing the only thing he COULD do to save everyone (the kicker: Karima WASN'T EVEN KILLED).

And then when he tries to reach out to the ONE person he could reasonably expect to listen and understand, she literally turns her back on him and tries to walk away.

Yes, Laura was not really in a position to do much for him (though it wouldn't have killed her to just sit with him and listen. That's all he was actually asking for). And yes, Hellion trying to restrain her when she him was crossing a line, and the things he said afterwards were uncalled for (though frankly, with Liu's Robo-Laura you can't exactly fault him for thinking it) there's no dispute about that. But how the X-Men treated him while handling Laura (who had done FAR worse things, whether she had a say in it or not) with kid gloves was thick with hypocrisy (ESPECIALLY from "King of the Hypocrites Why Are the X-Men Looking To ME For Moral Guidance?" Logan).

This isn't about shipping. The entire arc just served to highlight that Laura is an absolute **** friend. She never tried to help Kiden and her gang get off the streets. We've seen her interact with them precisely once in the main universe since NYX, when all it takes is a single line of dialogue "I offered them a place at Xavier's school/Utopia/Wherever but they refused." She walks away from Julian when he's just trying to reach out to SOMEBODY for help coping with what he's dealing with and has every reason to expect that the person he considered his best friend — and who reciprocated that feeling and more — to be there for him. She hasn't even talked to Dust, Mercury, or any of the Avengers Academy kids (granted she's got good reason to with Finesse, but still) in almost 10 years now.

That arc was the one time I've ever found her utterly unsympathetic.

Quote Originally Posted by Ambaryerno View Post
    I absolutely hated this. Liu completely screwed Hellion over.

Everyone in this arc was "Poor Laura, bad, angry Julian needs to stay away from her" while Wolverine and Gambit are shitting all over him for Karima despite them having done far, FAR worse and never been punished for it. All of Julian's issues got chalked up to him being a dick, while Laura was a traumatized victim over her past. It completely ignores he's a kid who got booted by his parents, TWICE, (including them literally just up and moving without giving him a forwarding address) watched 99% of his friends and peers get depowered then a substantial number of THEM get BLOWN UP. He lost his hands and the best anyone could do for him was pump him full of painkillers (and that's from actual dialogue) and tell him to man up about it. His not-quite girlfriend sneaks away in the middle of the night and leaves him alone to deal with all of it himself without even saying good bye. When Karima attacks Utopia, he watches EVERYONE get taken out, leaving him the only person in a position to act. For a moment Karima reasserts control, and she BEGS HIM TO KILL HER before her programming takes over again, so Hellion does literally the only thing he could and grants that request, and literally EVERYONE treats him like he's now a monster and villain as a result, while Cyclops locks him up with Wolverine for not being repentant enough over doing the only thing he COULD do to save everyone (the kicker: Karima WASN'T EVEN KILLED).

And then when he tries to reach out to the ONE person he could reasonably expect to listen and understand, she literally turns her back on him and tries to walk away.

Yes, Laura was not really in a position to do much for him (though it wouldn't have killed her to just sit with him and listen. That's all he was actually asking for). And yes, Hellion trying to restrain her when she him was crossing a line, and the things he said afterwards were uncalled for (though frankly, with Liu's Robo-Laura you can't exactly fault him for thinking it) there's no dispute about that. But how the X-Men treated him while handling Laura (who had done FAR worse things, whether she had a say in it or not) with kid gloves was thick with hypocrisy (ESPECIALLY from "King of the Hypocrites Why Are the X-Men Looking To ME For Moral Guidance?" Logan).

This isn't about shipping. The entire arc just served to highlight that Laura is an absolute **** friend. She never tried to help Kiden and her gang get off the streets. We've seen her interact with them precisely once in the main universe since NYX, when all it takes is a single line of dialogue "I offered them a place at Xavier's school/Utopia/Wherever but they refused." She walks away from Julian when he's just trying to reach out to SOMEBODY for help coping with what he's dealing with and has every reason to expect that the person he considered his best friend — and who reciprocated that feeling and more — to be there for him. She hasn't even talked to Dust, Mercury, or any of the Avengers Academy kids (granted she's got good reason to with Finesse, but still) in almost 10 years now.

That arc was the one time I've ever found her utterly unsympathetic.
    I understand what you're saying... Hellion is of my favorites of this generation but I still felt it was powerful for both.

The Funeral of "Snowflake."

Quote Originally Posted by From The Shadows View Post
    The Funeral of "Snowflake."

WTH, I know Colossus is tall but not 9 feet.
    Some of us wait, some of us act.

Quote Originally Posted by LordAllMIghty View Post
    WTH, I know Colossus is tall but not 9 feet.
    Liefeld/Lee inspiration? (Though I liked those two's work, but more the latter of the two). They had their ticks.

I don't know if this was posted yet but this was a rather touching moment between Moira and Stevie Hunter. May not be the most powerful but it had a lot of emotion.

There really isn't enough Gambit in here.