Page 5 of 23 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast
Results 61 to 75 of 334
  1. #61

    Default

    Jean Grey's original death.
    You know.
    Before deaths - especially hers - became an utter joke in Marvel Comics (thanks heavily to her resurrections...)

    Don't get me wrong. Her first resurrection for the whole X-Factor thing. Fine. Good story. But then it just became "a thing."

    Then it became a thing that every named character "dies" ("This time for good!" - Tricked you, they're back 2 years later! But we got MAD sales from those lies!)
    Check out the Comic Relief Podcast! - The podcast all about comics!

  2. #62
    Sarveśām Svastir Bhavatu Devaishwarya's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2018
    Posts
    3,604

    Default

    Speaking of death...
    Colossus' death/suicide in order to activate the cure for the Legacy Virus.
    We are MUTANT...One people. One tribe. One family...Krakoa, FOREVER!!!

  3. #63
    Boo! From The Shadows's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Salem Center, NY
    Posts
    2,900

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Tenebrae View Post
    Probably the only time I liked Northstar

    This was Chuck Austen too, amazingly enough. A strong debut. I remember how happy a lot of us were on here when this issue was first released. We thought we were in for a pretty good run back then and then it went down hill. I sometimes wonder if Chuck Austen was trying too hard to compete with Grant Morrison at the time by making everything shocking and weird. I think he could have been a great writer if he kept to this style and sensibilities.

    Quote Originally Posted by Vegan Daddy View Post
    Piotr learning that flatscans will always let you down.

    God every other issue in those Bolton back-ups made me want to tear up. Actually, all I've been thinking of is these lately. When I saw this thread all I wanted to do was post some but I'm too lazy to scan them. You must be a mind reader, Vegan, with this and the NC thread. Love this last page.

    Quote Originally Posted by Jbenito View Post
    I've got to say this is probably the best crying scene I've ever seen in a super hero book especially with Logans wibble and Kurts eyes with that smile - tears of joy! No manly bropat here but all out hugs and tears. They are strong enough in themselves as men.
    Last edited by From The Shadows; 02-05-2020 at 10:54 PM.

  4. #64

    Default

    That Kurt/Logan hug reminds me of another solid moment - in UXM the first time they're infected with the Brood egg and Kurt approaches Logan about religion. Thought that was a tender moment.
    Check out the Comic Relief Podcast! - The podcast all about comics!

  5. #65
    Sarveśām Svastir Bhavatu Devaishwarya's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2018
    Posts
    3,604

    Default

    Storm stabbing Callisto in the heart was a very powerful moment.
    We are MUTANT...One people. One tribe. One family...Krakoa, FOREVER!!!

  6. #66
    Boo! From The Shadows's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Salem Center, NY
    Posts
    2,900

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Adam-X View Post
    Jean Grey's original death.
    You know.
    Before deaths - especially hers - became an utter joke in Marvel Comics (thanks heavily to her resurrections...)

    Don't get me wrong. Her first resurrection for the whole X-Factor thing. Fine. Good story. But then it just became "a thing."

    Then it became a thing that every named character "dies" ("This time for good!" - Tricked you, they're back 2 years later! But we got MAD sales from those lies!)
    Honestly, I don't cry at the newer deaths. I'm disgusted mostly.


    Quote Originally Posted by MetalPsyc View Post
    Remender's UXF has some powerful/emotional moments:

    Betsy had to kill Jamie (using Brian's hand) so he couldn't become the evil Goat Wizard:



    But... didn't Jamies recent resurrection kind of ruin this since he's back and her and Brian hate him?

    Quote Originally Posted by Devaishwarya View Post
    Speaking of death...
    Colossus' death/suicide in order to activate the cure for the Legacy Virus.
    Yeah... "I'm coming Snowflake." I cried. Now they are both back and not too long ago Piotr wanted to kill that snowflake for what she did to him. Yep...
    Last edited by From The Shadows; 02-04-2020 at 08:48 PM.

  7. #67

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by From The Shadows View Post
    Honestly, I don't cry at the newer deaths. I'm disgusted mostly.
    Yeah. I don't blame you. That's what I was getting at. Her first resurrection was fine - first time. You get a pass. And it's for a cool story.
    Now she's died... how many times? Five? Six? More?
    I would wager she may have more resurrections to her name than any other character.
    I get it - it's in her name "Phoenix" and the "Phoenix Force" blah blah. But that just make each death cheapen her character more because you know, "Oh, she'll be back. Phoenix Force and all that. I just need to wait it out."

    Which - if you really break it down - Jean never really HAD the Phoenix Force in the beginning right?
    When she was piloting the ship the Phoenix Force apparently replicated her - put her in a coma in the cocoon thing and left her at the bottom of the lake, alive - in suspended animation.
    So the whole thing with the Dark Phoenix and her death on the moon was never her - because of the X-Factor retcon (which bothers me if I think too much about it, because I did enjoy X-Factor when it started)
    Check out the Comic Relief Podcast! - The podcast all about comics!

  8. #68
    Boo! From The Shadows's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Salem Center, NY
    Posts
    2,900

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Adam-X View Post
    Yeah. I don't blame you. That's what I was getting at. Her first resurrection was fine - first time. You get a pass. And it's for a cool story.
    Now she's died... how many times? Five? Six? More?
    I would wager she may have more resurrections to her name than any other character.
    I get it - it's in her name "Phoenix" and the "Phoenix Force" blah blah. But that just make each death cheapen her character more because you know, "Oh, she'll be back. Phoenix Force and all that. I just need to wait it out."

    Which - if you really break it down - Jean never really HAD the Phoenix Force in the beginning right?
    When she was piloting the ship the Phoenix Force apparently replicated her - put her in a coma in the cocoon thing and left her at the bottom of the lake, alive - in suspended animation.
    So the whole thing with the Dark Phoenix and her death on the moon was never her - because of the X-Factor retcon (which bothers me if I think too much about it, because I did enjoy X-Factor when it started)
    Yeah and Claremont couldn't mention it without getting angry for the longest time. The whole never really her (but the Phoenix took her essence so its really her) took a bit getting used to. I also liked X-Factor despite this.

  9. #69

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Adam-X View Post
    Jean Grey's original death.
    You know.
    Before deaths - especially hers - became an utter joke in Marvel Comics (thanks heavily to her resurrections...)

    Don't get me wrong. Her first resurrection for the whole X-Factor thing. Fine. Good story. But then it just became "a thing."

    Then it became a thing that every named character "dies" ("This time for good!" - Tricked you, they're back 2 years later! But we got MAD sales from those lies!)
    I am a fan of Jean for 5 years. I think when Jean died during New X-Men was actually devastating for X-Men. It changed the outlook of X-Men a lot and she remained dead for 15 YEARS.
    Last edited by Vishop; 02-04-2020 at 10:13 PM.

  10. #70
    Boo! From The Shadows's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Salem Center, NY
    Posts
    2,900

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by biswaboxz View Post
    I am a fan of Jean for 5 years. I think when Jean died during New X-Men was actually devastating for X-Men. It changed the outlook of X-Men a lot and she remained for 15 YEARS.
    That's impressive for Marvel I'll give you that.

  11. #71

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Devaishwarya View Post
    Storm stabbing Callisto in the heart was a very powerful moment.


    One of the greatest pages in the medium. Well done Claremont/Smith!
    Let the flames destroy all but that which is pure and true!

  12. #72

    Default

    Storm vs her first Sentinel will always have a special place in my heart. Always stand up against the genocidal military industrial complex. Always!



    Let the flames destroy all but that which is pure and true!

  13. #73

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Adam-X View Post
    That Kurt/Logan hug reminds me of another solid moment - in UXM the first time they're infected with the Brood egg and Kurt approaches Logan about religion. Thought that was a tender moment.

  14. #74
    Amazing Member Jeremy!'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    36

    Default

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SLNQ2JRb4zA

    Storm immediately accepting the dark phoenix proposition in resurrecting Jean.

    "We understand and we accept."

  15. #75
    Astonishing Member K7P5V's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Location
    Chicago, Illinois
    Posts
    2,907

    Default

    Definitely Alan Davis' swan song on Excalibur.

    Truly the end of an era.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by K7P5V; 04-23-2020 at 02:15 AM. Reason: Made a correction.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •