Page 5 of 43 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast

Jean Grey's original death.
    You know.
    Before deaths - especially hers - became an utter joke in Marvel Comics (thanks heavily to her resurrections...)

Don't get me wrong. Her first resurrection for the whole X-Factor thing. Fine. Good story. But then it just became "a thing."

Then it became a thing that every named character "dies" ("This time for good!" - Tricked you, they're back 2 years later! But we got MAD sales from those lies!)
    Need Comics? Consider using my Affiliate link - helps keep my Podcast ad free!
    https://www.mycomicshop.com/?AffID=1055159P01
    Check out the Comic Relief Podcast! - The podcast all about comics!

Sarveśām Svastir Bhavatu Devaishwarya's Avatar

Speaking of death...
    Colossus' death/suicide in order to activate the cure for the Legacy Virus.
    My Summer rain. My rooftop in Japan. My quiet in the storm. *cries* Al Ewing is GOD...Praise His name! Uplift Him in song! Glorify His works!

Extraordinary Member From The Shadows's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Tenebrae View Post
    Probably the only time I liked Northstar

This was Chuck Austen too, amazingly enough. A strong debut. I remember how happy a lot of us were on here when this issue was first released. We thought we were in for a pretty good run back then and then it went down hill. I sometimes wonder if Chuck Austen was trying too hard to compete with Grant Morrison at the time by making everything shocking and weird. I think he could have been a great writer if he kept to this style and sensibilities.

Quote Originally Posted by Vegan Daddy View Post
    Piotr learning that flatscans will always let you down.

God every other issue in those Bolton back-ups made me want to tear up. Actually, all I've been thinking of is these lately. When I saw this thread all I wanted to do was post some but I'm too lazy to scan them. You must be a mind reader, Vegan, with this and the NC thread. Love this last page.

Quote Originally Posted by Jbenito View Post
    I've got to say this is probably the best crying scene I've ever seen in a super hero book especially with Logans wibble and Kurts eyes with that smile - tears of joy! No manly bropat here but all out hugs and tears. They are strong enough in themselves as men.
    Last edited by From The Shadows; 02-05-2020 at 10:54 PM.

That Kurt/Logan hug reminds me of another solid moment - in UXM the first time they're infected with the Brood egg and Kurt approaches Logan about religion. Thought that was a tender moment.

Sarveśām Svastir Bhavatu Devaishwarya's Avatar

Storm stabbing Callisto in the heart was a very powerful moment.
    My Summer rain. My rooftop in Japan. My quiet in the storm. *cries* Al Ewing is GOD...Praise His name! Uplift Him in song! Glorify His works!

Quote Originally Posted by Adam-X View Post
    You know.
    Before deaths - especially hers - became an utter joke in Marvel Comics (thanks heavily to her resurrections...)

Don't get me wrong. Her first resurrection for the whole X-Factor thing. Fine. Good story. But then it just became "a thing."

Then it became a thing that every named character "dies" ("This time for good!" - Tricked you, they're back 2 years later! But we got MAD sales from those lies!)
    Honestly, I don't cry at the newer deaths. I'm disgusted mostly.

Quote Originally Posted by MetalPsyc View Post
    Remender's UXF has some powerful/emotional moments:

Betsy had to kill Jamie (using Brian's hand) so he couldn't become the evil Goat Wizard:

But... didn't Jamies recent resurrection kind of ruin this since he's back and her and Brian hate him?

Quote Originally Posted by Devaishwarya View Post
    Speaking of death...
    Colossus' death/suicide in order to activate the cure for the Legacy Virus.
    Yeah... "I'm coming Snowflake." I cried. Now they are both back and not too long ago Piotr wanted to kill that snowflake for what she did to him. Yep...
    Last edited by From The Shadows; 02-04-2020 at 08:48 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by From The Shadows View Post
    Honestly, I don't cry at the newer deaths. I'm disgusted mostly.
    Yeah. I don't blame you. That's what I was getting at. Her first resurrection was fine - first time. You get a pass. And it's for a cool story.
    Now she's died... how many times? Five? Six? More?
    I would wager she may have more resurrections to her name than any other character.
    I get it - it's in her name "Phoenix" and the "Phoenix Force" blah blah. But that just make each death cheapen her character more because you know, "Oh, she'll be back. Phoenix Force and all that. I just need to wait it out."

Which - if you really break it down - Jean never really HAD the Phoenix Force in the beginning right?
    When she was piloting the ship the Phoenix Force apparently replicated her - put her in a coma in the cocoon thing and left her at the bottom of the lake, alive - in suspended animation.
    So the whole thing with the Dark Phoenix and her death on the moon was never her - because of the X-Factor retcon (which bothers me if I think too much about it, because I did enjoy X-Factor when it started)

Yeah. I don't blame you. That's what I was getting at. Her first resurrection was fine - first time. You get a pass. And it's for a cool story.
    Now she's died... how many times? Five? Six? More?
    I would wager she may have more resurrections to her name than any other character.
    I get it - it's in her name "Phoenix" and the "Phoenix Force" blah blah. But that just make each death cheapen her character more because you know, "Oh, she'll be back. Phoenix Force and all that. I just need to wait it out."

Which - if you really break it down - Jean never really HAD the Phoenix Force in the beginning right?
    When she was piloting the ship the Phoenix Force apparently replicated her - put her in a coma in the cocoon thing and left her at the bottom of the lake, alive - in suspended animation.
    So the whole thing with the Dark Phoenix and her death on the moon was never her - because of the X-Factor retcon (which bothers me if I think too much about it, because I did enjoy X-Factor when it started)
    Yeah and Claremont couldn't mention it without getting angry for the longest time. The whole never really her (but the Phoenix took her essence so its really her) took a bit getting used to. I also liked X-Factor despite this.

BANNED

You know.

I am a fan of Jean for 5 years. I think when Jean died during New X-Men was actually devastating for X-Men. It changed the outlook of X-Men a lot and she remained dead for 15 YEARS.
    Last edited by Vishop; 02-04-2020 at 10:13 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by biswaboxz View Post
    I am a fan of Jean for 5 years. I think when Jean died during New X-Men was actually devastating for X-Men. It changed the outlook of X-Men a lot and she remained for 15 YEARS.
    That's impressive for Marvel I'll give you that.

Quote Originally Posted by Devaishwarya View Post
    Storm stabbing Callisto in the heart was a very powerful moment.

One of the greatest pages in the medium. Well done Claremont/Smith!
    Let the flames destroy all but that which is pure and true!

Storm vs her first Sentinel will always have a special place in my heart. Always stand up against the genocidal military industrial complex. Always!

Let the flames destroy all but that which is pure and true!

BANNED

That Kurt/Logan hug reminds me of another solid moment - in UXM the first time they're infected with the Brood egg and Kurt approaches Logan about religion. Thought that was a tender moment.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SLNQ2JRb4zA

Storm immediately accepting the dark phoenix proposition in resurrecting Jean.

"We understand and we accept."

Definitely Alan Davis' swan song on Excalibur.

Truly the end of an era.
    Last edited by K7P5V; 12-24-2020 at 05:20 PM. Reason: Made Adjustments.