Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678
    Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Godlike13 View Post
    Look at Ric. I think Nightwing fans would be more accepting of him having gone out in a blaze of glory even, then having to continue to witness him slowly go out with a whimper as a shame under lazy creators with no vision.
    The problem is people wouldn't imagine the worst option until it happens. When they know the worst option, they can say other options would be better.

This discussion that Bruce should be aged and retired is often closely linked to allowing Dick to be treated with respect by DC and allowed him to leave Batman shadow.

I really doubt that Grayson fans would want to Nightwing to retire if he was respected and well treated by DC and writers.
    Last edited by Konja7; 02-04-2020 at 06:42 PM.

Retired

When CRISIS ON INFINITE EARTHS was coming out in 1985, I was trying to figure out how it would all end. I knew there was going to be some kind of reboot or reset, so I figured things would be changed for Batman and the Teen Titans just as they would be for Superman and the Justice League. I imagined that they would rejuvenate Batman--with Dick as a boy. But then how would they work out the Teen Titans--maybe they'd switch out characters, so now a different guy like Jason Todd would be the Nightwing of that group. I never thought things would end up how they did after COIE. It still seems strange that so many other characters got rebooted or semi-rebooted but not Batman and Robin--they got retconned but they didn't get a new start like with Wonder Woman and Hawkman.

Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

The only mistake of Dick growing up from the role of Robin is I can no longer see his bare muscular thighs from the Hudson and NTT era. Perez replaced with them Disco cleavage but it's not the same thing and most of the Nightwing artists aren't really taking advantage of his ass reputation.

Oh, that's not what we're talking about?

Quote Originally Posted by Restingvoice View Post
    The only mistake of Dick growing up from the role of Robin is I can no longer see his bare muscular thighs from the Hudson and NTT era. Perez replaced with them Disco cleavage but it's not the same thing and most of the Nightwing artists aren't really taking advantage of his ass reputation.

Oh, that's not what we're talking about?
    Nope but go on. Ass reputation ......

lol

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly View Post
    When CRISIS ON INFINITE EARTHS was coming out in 1985, I was trying to figure out how it would all end. I knew there was going to be some kind of reboot or reset, so I figured things would be changed for Batman and the Teen Titans just as they would be for Superman and the Justice League. I imagined that they would rejuvenate Batman--with Dick as a boy. But then how would they work out the Teen Titans--maybe they'd switch out characters, so now a different guy like Jason Todd would be the Nightwing of that group. I never thought things would end up how they did after COIE. It still seems strange that so many other characters got rebooted or semi-rebooted but not Batman and Robin--they got retconned but they didn't get a new start like with Wonder Woman and Hawkman.
    Crisis and NTT had the same creative team. Makes sense that Wolfman wouldn't want to reboot. He was probably annoyed at Wonder Woman rebooting though, as if it hadn't, Donna and Lilith's origin stories wouldn't have needed retconning.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    Crisis and NTT had the same creative team. Makes sense that Wolfman wouldn't want to reboot. He was probably annoyed at Wonder Woman rebooting though, as if it hadn't, Donna and Lilith's origin stories wouldn't have needed retconning.
    Actually he's on record saying that if he had it his way at the time CoIE would've started everything over from Day #1 as that was his original pitch to DC. It was Dick Giordano who changed Wolfman's original plan.

Mighty Member

I don't think that Dick growing up and graduating to be his own (kinda) man was a mistake, it was one of 3 possible outcomes for the sidekick character. Jason explores the other outcome (death) and then after that we get into some muddy territory as the other outcome is to remain a sidekick perpetually...but DC has added multiple characters in that sidekick role to the point that it becomes quite a challenge to "cut the fat" as all of those characters have their fans.