Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Sing (Kung Fu Hustle) vs Scorpion (Mortal Kombat)

What will happen here?

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Tyrannoraptor View Post
    What will happen here?
    A flawless victory for Sing.

nice to meet ya! master of read's Avatar

one buddha's palm and hanzo is dead or at least down for the ten.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by master of read View Post
    one buddha's palm and hanzo is dead or at least down for the ten.
    I was going to say that Scorpion could teleport out of the way. But I don't know if he has the speed feats to keep up with Sing.

Probably not.

Quote Originally Posted by Dark Soul # 7 View Post
    I was going to say that Scorpion could teleport out of the way. But I don't know if he has the speed feats to keep up with Sing.

Probably not.
    But actually, Scorpion’s speed is comparable to that of Reptile who dodged some gunfire & he has outsped Raiden in a few occasions.

Extraordinary Member

But actually, Scorpion’s speed is comparable to that of Reptile who dodged some gunfire & he has outsped Raiden in a few occasions.
    Sing generally wallopped the Beast whose bullet catching feat (among other cool feats) stomps all over regular gunfire dodging.

Given Sing's speed against someone who outright *catches* bullets, so what?

Legendary God of Pirates Nik Hasta's Avatar

Sing generally wallopped the Beast whose bullet catching feat (among other cool feats) stomps all over regular gunfire dodging.
    To expand on this a little, by far The Beast's most impressive speed feat is his casual blitzing of the Tragic Couple. Given their own, quite ridiculous speed feats, the fact that he can overwhelm and troll them with his own speed is a bit ridiculous.

Also, also, quite apart from the Buddhist Palm, Sing is wildly stronger than Scorpion. He doesn't actually need to use that technique to treat Scorpion apart.

The Weeping Mod Sharpandpointies's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Twickster View Post
    Given Sing's speed against someone who outright *catches* bullets, so what?
    I'm with Nik. The outspeeding the Legendary Couple is a far better feat than the bullet-catch, because the bullet-catch has some asterisks on it.

BIG asterisks.
    Why are we here?

"Superboy Prime (the yelling guy if he needs clarification)..." - Postmania
    "...dropping an orca whale made of fire on your enemies is a pretty strong opening move." - Nik
    "Why throw punches when you can be making everyone around you sterile mutant corpses?" - Pendaran, regarding Dr. Fate

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Sharpandpointies View Post
    I'm with Nik. The outspeeding the Legendary Couple is a far better feat than the bullet-catch, because the bullet-catch has some asterisks on it.

BIG asterisks.
    I mainly went for that feat since it's the most easily compareable to the gunfire comment. But I do have vague memories of these asterisks being mentioned in other threads.

What were they now again?

Quote Originally Posted by Nik Hasta View Post
    Also, also, quite apart from the Buddhist Palm, Sing is wildly stronger than Scorpion. He doesn't actually need to use that technique to treat Scorpion apart.
    But didn't Scorpion survive getting slammed into the ground by Blood Magik amped Raiden hard enough to tear up chunks of the earth below and have the ability to turn intangible by transforming into a fire skeleton?

I mainly went for that feat since it's the most easily compareable to the gunfire comment. But I do have vague memories of these asterisks being mentioned in other threads.

What were they now again?
    Okay, some discussion necessary, which is fine. :D

1. The Beast knows exactly when he's going to pull the trigger. This may not seem like a lot, but it's the difference in real life between people catching arrows mid-battle, and someone timing an arrow-catch in a gymnasium. The conditions are, to some extent, 'controlled';

2. While we don't normally get into crazy math to say 'this bullet zips in 11 feet per second more quick than THAT bullet, so this character's bullet-catch/whatever is more fast than THAT characters', we do place some importance (and rightly so) on what kind of bullets are being fired. Why? Because a 9mm combat load (and many other pistol loads) runs somewhere around Mach 1, and assault rifle rounds will fly around upwards of Mach 2.5; this is a sizable difference. Matt Murdock barely managing to dodge a sniper round when he -- otherwise completely unaware -- picks it up at a distance of 5' is a hell of a lot more impressive than Ozymandius catching a .38 fired from a snub-nosed revolver when he's fully aware the the shooter will shoot (which to some extent also helps).

Enter the Webley.

The pistol in question being used by the Beast is a Webley. In the past, I've managed to do full photographic comparisons and figure out WHICH Webley it is (I forget right now), but suffice to say that the bullets fired by this model of Webley trundle along -- AT BEST -- at around 2/3 the speed of sound (I remember this much very clearly). And that's high-balling them. Many Webley rounds in that caliber (and fired by that particular model of pistol) barely squeak across the finish line of Mach 0.5, if you get my drift. So what does that mean?

It means that the gulf between '9mm dodging and 7.62 mm sniper round dodging' is bigger than the gulf between 'Webley round dodging and...arrow dodging', I shit you not. Ie, dodging a Webley round is closer to dodging an arrow than dodging a modern combat pistol round is to dodging a 7.62 round.

In fact, dodging a Webley round lies closer to the mid-point between 'arrow' and 'modern pistol round' (this doesn't take into account the fact that one is going to have a harder time seeing a tiny pistol round, but let's leave that aside). More toward the 'modern pistol round' area, and a lot more if we go with the fastest, fastest Webley rounds, but again...you get my drift.

That's not to say that the Beast's bullet-catch isn't far, far more impressive than catching an arrow, for example. It's a tiny projectile, he catches it between two fingers, etc. But at best, it's approaching Ozymandius' feat, and Ozzy's feat (as bullet-time feats go) is really bottom of the barrel, having a number of asterisks on it as well (on average a round fired by a snub-nose .38 is still not that fast for a modern pistol, his hands are already almost in place when she fires, it still almost gets him, etc).

Basically, I would be leery of granting the Beast 'bullet-time' status based purely on this feat alone, thanks to the two rather important qualifiers above. His feat against the Legendary Couple, with them having some absolutely insane speedfeats themselves, is what pushes him into this region of speed for me.
    Why are we here?

"...dropping an orca whale made of fire on your enemies is a pretty strong opening move." - Nik
    "Why throw punches when you can be making everyone around you sterile mutant corpses?" - Pendaran, regarding Dr. Fate

But didn't Scorpion survive getting slammed into the ground by Blood Magik amped Raiden hard enough to tear up chunks of the earth below and have the ability to turn intangible by transforming into a fire skeleton?
    Sing is firstly going to be hitting him much faster than he can react to use any of his esoteric abilities to dodge and second, while Scorpion has some level enhanced durability, I don't think anyone has shown to hit as hard as Sing does.

Like, if you can show feats of Scorpion taking hits from people who can kick people more than five stories into the air with little effort - go for it.

Quote Originally Posted by Nik Hasta View Post
    Sing is firstly going to be hitting him much faster than he can react to use any of his esoteric abilities to dodge and second, while Scorpion has some level enhanced durability, I don't think anyone has shown to hit as hard as Sing does.

Like, if you can show feats of Scorpion taking hits from people who can kick people more than five stories into the air with little effort - go for it.
    Yeah, that was Sing kind of...beating up a group of people as quickly as he could, as I recall, rather than REALLY trying to smear each one of them.
    Why are we here?