Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Rumbles Limbo Champion big_adventure's Avatar

For one thing, I don't know that a virus that would be lethal to a human would affect a half-saiyan. But... who knows?

For a second, yeah, there are contrivable scenarios that could work against him, no doubt, buuuuuuut the same can be said, and even more so, for many, many other heroes. In addition, Trunks isn't a DC/Marvel superhero. He doesn't hang out fighting petty crime, doesn't listen to the police radio to find things to stop, doesn't know other people around who would call him up and ask for help. He would probably ONLY get involved in something city-threatening or bigger: he simply wouldn't know about other stuff going on. Teenage Gohan, he of Great Saiyaman dance-party fame, would be another story: he actively pursued the superhero game.

I mean, maybe Trunks would eventually get involved like that, but it wouldn't be automatic for him. And if he DID get involved like that, it would take time and be a process, and Trunks, pragmatic and realistic as he is, would surely learn about the threats that exist for that kind of life. He'd almost surely take the time to track down a Batman, a Superman, a Wonder Woman, a Captain America, a Spider Man, and ask them how this thing works. And they would certainly say "cool, we welcome the help, especially someone as badass as you, by the way, there are some sick f&*ks around, so pay attention to your surroundings and don't shake disease-ridden hands."

Well, Batman likely would not do that, but the others, definitely.
    "But... But I want to be a big karate cyborg... ;_;" - Nik Hasta
    "Get off my lawn! ...on this forum, that just makes people think of Cyclops." - Sharpandpointies
    "...makes me think the Night King just says "Screw the rules, I have magic money" when it comes to physics." -Captain Morgan

Quote Originally Posted by Nik Hasta View Post
    Don't they have to know who they are looking for?

Like, if say... Lex Luthor, sets up an elaborate situation to kill Trunks, he can hire like infinite numbers of goons and randos to run interference and deliver whatever super killer nerve gas he might want to deploy and Trunks doesn't know Luthor, doesn't know any of the mooks, doesn't have any feats of detecting a conspiracy against him or whatever so... again, I'm not seeing how he's getting out of this.

Like and this could just be as simple as "stage a thing that Trunks intervenes in, person who he saves shakes his hand and delivers a killer virus thing,"

He's a potent fighter and would do well in big cosmic fights or whatever but if DC villains want him gone, they have options here.
    And obviously yes, Trunks would need to know the signature of the person he's looking for. But all that would take it a meeting or just spotting them being perp-walked.
    "Get off my lawn! ...on this forum, that just makes people think of Cyclops." - Sharpandpointies
    "...makes me think the Night King just says "Screw the rules, I have magic money" when it comes to physics." -Captain Morgan

Legendary God of Pirates Nik Hasta's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by big_adventure View Post
    For one thing, I don't know that a virus that would be lethal to a human would affect a half-saiyan. But... who knows?
    Goku canonically died of regular old heart disease when he was stronger than Trunks and he's a full Sayain. DC scientists could definitely make something that kill a half Sayain.

For a second, yeah, there are contrivable scenarios that could work against him, no doubt, buuuuuuut the same can be said, and even more so, for many, many other heroes. In addition, Trunks isn't a DC/Marvel superhero. He doesn't hang out fighting petty crime, doesn't listen to the police radio to find things to stop, doesn't know other people around who would call him up and ask for help. He would probably ONLY get involved in something city-threatening or bigger: he simply wouldn't know about other stuff going on. Teenage Gohan, he of Great Saiyaman dance-party fame, would be another story: he actively pursued the superhero game.

I mean, maybe Trunks would eventually get involved like that, but it wouldn't be automatic for him. And if he DID get involved like that, it would take time and be a process, and Trunks, pragmatic and realistic as he is, would surely learn about the threats that exist for that kind of life. He'd almost surely take the time to track down a Batman, a Superman, a Wonder Woman, a Captain America, a Spider Man, and ask them how this thing works. And they would certainly say "cool, we welcome the help, especially someone as badass as you, by the way, there are some sick f&*ks around, so pay attention to your surroundings and don't shake disease-ridden hands."

Well, Batman likely would not do that, but the others, definitely.
    This is one of the things that I find irksome about these kinds of scenarios, people tend to leap to character integrating with the new society and I don't get why. Like, in my view, if Trunks got blorped to the DCU; he'd spent his time trying to go home. That should, to my mind, shape his behaviour. To me, he'd be going to known super scientists and being all like; "Hey, can you build a portal to my reality, I don't belong here and I miss family/friends,"

That's his wheelhouse. If a space alien shows up to try and end the world, he might get involved but it's much more likely that he'd see that the DC Earth is littered with competent and organised guardians and would leave them to it barring said attackers trying to get up in his ****.

I guess I'm taking a middleground on this.

1) Trunks isn't unstoppable to DC earth. Far from it, if he did raise his profile enough and pissed off the wrong people, he is comparatively easy to take out.
    2) Trunks wouldn't really raise his profile beyond something like Starro landing on his doorstep or something. He'd be more driven by trying to go home.

I guess that's my take?

Goku canonically died of regular old heart disease when he was stronger than Trunks and he's a full Sayain. DC scientists could definitely make something that kill a half Sayain.
    This is absolutely correct, and a reason why I said "maybe."

This is one of the things that I find irksome about these kinds of scenarios, people tend to leap to character integrating with the new society and I don't get why. Like, in my view, if Trunks got blorped to the DCU; he'd spent his time trying to go home. That should, to my mind, shape his behaviour. To me, he'd be going to known super scientists and being all like; "Hey, can you build a portal to my reality, I don't belong here and I miss family/friends,"

That's his wheelhouse. If a space alien shows up to try and end the world, he might get involved but it's much more likely that he'd see that the DC Earth is littered with competent and organised guardians and would leave them to it barring said attackers trying to get up in his ****.

I guess I'm taking a middleground on this.

1) Trunks isn't unstoppable to DC earth. Far from it, if he did raise his profile enough and pissed off the wrong people, he is comparatively easy to take out.
    2) Trunks wouldn't really raise his profile beyond something like Starro landing on his doorstep or something. He'd be more driven by trying to go home.

I guess that's my take?
    I agree 100% with your take...

...except that Trunks would still be more difficult to take out than 99% of heroes on Marvel or DC Earth. Lots of the heroes glad hand, do freaking community outreach, live in known addresses, and are SIGNIFICANTLY more vulnerable than Trunks. Yet they all survive. Perhaps we can attribute that to PIS - likely so - but then you'd need to apply that to Trunks as well, OR you need to not say things like "Trunks would be comparatively easy to take out." It would be POSSIBLE to take him out, but it would not be comparatively easy as regards to literally anyone who is not Superman tier or higher - and he doesn't have a glaring red-flag semi-known-publically weakness like Clark. And most heroes in DC and Marvel are not Superman tier.

But yes, I agree that his first, second and third priorities would be getting home, and he'd search out any means necessary to figure out how. His biggest vulnerability would actually be someone using him and his insane power level (verrrrrrry few people ever on DC or Marvel Earths are trivial planet-busters, and Trunks definitely is) - promising to help him get home in return for help doing something else.

My point is less that Trunks is specifically /easy/ to kill, I mean that for the weightclass he's in and level of heat he could potentially draw, he is pretty fragile.

Superman has broad always on invulnerability. Green Lanterns have autoshields that are hyper advanced. Captain Marvel treats being turned inside out as a minor inconvenience. Trunks is powerful and very tough but he doesn't have a lot of the esoteric defences that his peers in that weightclass have.

If, as people in the thread were suggesting, Trunks obliterates Gotham and a bunch of other high tier villains because he's more than capable of doing so, the villain community is going to be all like "Hey, we should take this guy out," and my point is that they have a lot of crazy options beyond just trying to punch fight him.

Astonishing Member Captain Morgan's Avatar

...except that Trunks would still be more difficult to take out than 99% of heroes on Marvel or DC Earth. Lots of the heroes glad hand, do freaking community outreach, live in known addresses, and are SIGNIFICANTLY more vulnerable than Trunks. Yet they all survive. Perhaps we can attribute that to PIS - likely so - .
    I think you're conflating plot induced stupidity with actual plot here. Most of the villains in Marvel and DC aren't specifically trying to kill heroes, partially because heroes aren't trying to kill them. The easiest example to point to would probably be the Rogues, who for big chunks of their history have an unspoken agreement with Flash, keeping their murderous impulses in check to avoid bringing the major heat down on themselves. Hunter Zolomon could kill almost every hero on the DC earth, but he's specifically trying to make them better heroes. Sinestro is basically the same with his whole order through fear schtick.

In Marvel, Doctor Doom and Thanos have both demonstrated the capacity to basically do whatever heinous acts they want to and often only lose to self sabotage. But if Doctor Doom set his mind to killing someone, including Trunks, he can almost certainly do it. Magneto is another good example of a villain who could have killed off the X-Men and even the Avengers many times over, but has chosen not to.

Then you have villains who are mostly just fixated on their personal nemesis. Venom and Green Goblin mostly only cares about messing with Spider-Man. Joker only care about his boyfriend, and has had plenty of opportunities to kill him. Doom has RIIICHAAAARDS. Lex is obsessed with Supes.

There are a lot of in canon reasons why the villains don't just systematically murder random heroes. So provided Trunks doesn't go upsetting the status quo, they probably won't come after him that hard either. But Nik is absolutely correct-- if he starts offing villains and generally waving his dick around, he's going to paint a target on his back. And the villains of both worlds have demonstrated they can come together and take down powerful folks when they feel threatened.

I disagree in that many of these villains have explicitly tried many, many times to kill their respective nemesis, using wildly contrived plots, and failed miserably. You are absolutely correct that Zolomon doesn't and could, but again, that's explicitly his thing.

When I say PIS, let's say more that it's just how the worlds are written, and it's totally unrealistic to imply that a new hero would receive any different treatments than the old ones. Obviously Marvel and DC neither want to kill cash cows, nor create new heroes every month, so they have to have the heroes survive (99.9% of the time, and even then, death is oh so temporary).

It ignores the basic fact that Trunks wouldn't actually waste a city - that was a joke on my part. For the reasons above, Trunks is actually pretty unlikey to actually engage in heroing - at least not the capes and tights crowd's type. I also don't think that Lex would particularly care if Trunks killed the Joker, and the other way around is definitely true. Yes, if Trunks targetted Lex and failed, Lex might try a lethal response, but Trunks, in that case, would almost certainly be ready for said response. And if Trunks didn't, it's wildly out of character for Lex to try to target the guy with a lethal strike with no provocation. It's also super duper unlikely that Trunks would FAIL to take out Lex if he decided to do so: Trunks wouldn't announce on Insta that he's headed over to Lexcorp at 6PM to open up a can of whoopass.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Morgan View Post
    -- if he starts offing villains and generally waving his dick around, he's going to paint a target on his back.
    You do have quite a turn of phrase on you Morgan. XD

I disagree in that many of these villains have explicitly tried many, many times to kill their respective nemesis, using wildly contrived plots, and failed miserably. You are absolutely correct that Zolomon doesn't and could, but again, that's explicitly his thing.

When I say PIS, let's say more that it's just how the worlds are written, and it's totally unrealistic to imply that a new hero would receive any different treatments than the old ones. Obviously Marvel and DC neither want to kill cash cows, nor create new heroes every month, so they have to have the heroes survive (99.9% of the time, and even then, death is oh so temporary).

It ignores the basic fact that Trunks wouldn't actually waste a city - that was a joke on my part. For the reasons above, Trunks is actually pretty unlikey to actually engage in heroing - at least not the capes and tights crowd's type. I also don't think that Lex would particularly care if Trunks killed the Joker, and the other way around is definitely true. Yes, if Trunks targetted Lex and failed, Lex might try a lethal response, but Trunks, in that case, would almost certainly be ready for said response. And if Trunks didn't, it's wildly out of character for Lex to try to target the guy with a lethal strike with no provocation. It's also super duper unlikely that Trunks would FAIL to take out Lex if he decided to do so: Trunks wouldn't announce on Insta that he's headed over to Lexcorp at 6PM to open up a can of whoopass.
    In all honesty, I think even most of the villain community would cheer for the Joker being offed. Including Lex, whom only works with Joker begrudgingly at times, because he keeps Batman out of his "hair", so to speak.

Extraordinary Member

Trunks isn't a edge Lord killer by nature. It took life in a
    hellish dystopia plagued by mass murdering cyborg to get him to that point.

If you just plot him in the DCU on your ordinary day there's a good chance that he just deals with any baddie dumb enough to cross his path in a quick manner.

Drop him on Earth during Mongul's attack or Crisis and the big Bars wouldn't know what had killed them.

Quote Originally Posted by Vic Vega View Post
    Trunks isn't a edge Lord killer by nature. It took life in a
    hellish dystopia plagued by mass murdering cyborg to get him to that point.

If you just plot him in the DCU on your ordinary day there's a good chance that he just deals with any baddie dumb enough to cross his path in a quick manner.

Drop him on Earth during Mongul's attack or Crisis and the big Bars wouldn't know what had killed them.
    No, not saying Trunks is an "edge lord killer", but when it comes to established threats to a lot of people, he's incredibly pragmatic. His timeline, with its lack of Dragon Balls and death being permanent, made him so. He's not pragmatic to the point of being heartless, or turning on allies at the drop of a hat (like Saturn Girl can be), but he won't waste time with theatrics, boasting, etc if there's someone actively threatening the lives of innocent people.

He would be helpful in a Crisis level event, with his powers, experience, and willingness to protect people. And whether or not he's as strong as Superman and Wonder Woman, he's still a force to be reckoned with. But he would also encounter beings he's never even heard the likes of; like Plastic Man, the Monitor, Dr. Fate. etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Jackalope89 View Post
    No, not saying Trunks is an "edge lord killer", but when it comes to established threats to a lot of people, he's incredibly pragmatic. His timeline, with its lack of Dragon Balls and death being permanent, made him so. He's not pragmatic to the point of being heartless, or turning on allies at the drop of a hat (like Saturn Girl can be), but he won't waste time with theatrics, boasting, etc if there's someone actively threatening the lives of innocent people.

He would be helpful in a Crisis level event, with his powers, experience, and willingness to protect people. And whether or not he's as strong as Superman and Wonder Woman, he's still a force to be reckoned with. But he would also encounter beings he's never even heard the likes of; like Plastic Man, the Monitor, Dr. Fate. etc.
    To be fair, he's a fair bit more powerful than WW or Post Crisis Superman, while maybe falling behind current Supes (though that's questionable). Trunks at any of his "Future" levels is a casual, trivial planet buster - in his very first appearance, like 17 explicit powerups ago, he was already vastly stronger than Frieza and his Dad on a day when THEY were each vastly stronger than full power 4th form Frieza, who was 16 times stronger than first form Frieza, who was already a casual planet buster.

If Trunks had full knowledge about what's going and the people around a number of people would be dead.

Extraordinary Member The Drunkard Kid's Avatar

Technically, the only things that we know about Goku's heart disease is that it hits without any apparent symptoms beforehand, and that they didn't have a cure until some undisclosed amount of time after his death in the Future Trunks timeline. Considering that he was on at least 2 different planets before returning to Earth (we don't know if he went to other planets as part of his teleportation training, or for other reasons before heading back home), we can't even say that it was an Earth disease. That being said, DC can at least eventually definitely develop diseases that can affect beings on Saiyajin-tier, even discounting stuff like Joker Venom silliness.

Didn't Jaco specifically state that Saiyajin are extremely resistant/immune to viruses?

To be fair, he's a fair bit more powerful than WW or Post Crisis Superman, while maybe falling behind current Supes (though that's questionable). Trunks at any of his "Future" levels is a casual, trivial planet buster - in his very first appearance, like 17 explicit powerups ago, he was already vastly stronger than Frieza and his Dad on a day when THEY were each vastly stronger than full power 4th form Frieza, who was 16 times stronger than first form Frieza, who was already a casual planet buster.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Drunkard Kid View Post
    Technically, the only things that we know about Goku's heart disease is that it hits without any apparent symptoms beforehand, and that they didn't have a cure until some undisclosed amount of time after his death in the Future Trunks timeline. Considering that he was on at least 2 different planets before returning to Earth (we don't know if he went to other planets as part of his teleportation training, or for other reasons before heading back home), we can't even say that it was an Earth disease. That being said, DC can at least eventually definitely develop diseases that can affect beings on Saiyajin-tier, even discounting stuff like Joker Venom silliness.

Didn't Jaco specifically state that Saiyajin are extremely resistant/immune to viruses?
    Just to be clear, this is only Trunks from DBZ, NOT Super.