Default Understanding lyrics in songs

I always loved this song by Tears For Fears, but I never really understood what the lyrics meant. What the song was about. Is he in love or what?! LOL, Does anyone here understand what the song means? I want to know!

Are there other songs you really like where the lyrics seem quite confusing?

Since the phrase "Head Over Heals" is a long-time expression for being helplessly in love; I've always interpreted that song as being the first-person expression of being in love (on the surface).

But I think you're correct to think that there's more to it than that. It's possible that it's about someone who is in love with a person who just won't (or can't) bring themselves to love back on that same level.

It's also possible that -- through falling in love -- the person is discovering something about themselves they had not previously known. He just isn't the person that his family believed he would be.

The lyrics seem pretty loaded with possibility; and are open to the interpretation of the listener. But I don't see anything wrong with that, if that's what the artist wants to do. Sometimes artists want to tell a story that isn't so obvious; something that can resonate with different people at different levels.

For me, the song "Fall On Me" by R.E.M. was such a song. I've always liked it; but the actual meaning was a bit of a mystery. It took a while before I found out that it was referring to acid rain. But it's also open to having other meanings.

Pull List: The Black Hammer, Bitch Planet, Copperhead, Hellboy/BPRD, Monstress, Ms. Marvel, Southern Cross

Twitter: @JavasaurusRex

Extraordinary Member PaulBullion's Avatar

This one always mystified me... and also made me think of Jean Grey and Rachel Grey.

"How does the Green Goblin have anything to do with Herpes?" - The Dying Detective

Hillary was right!