Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Boisterously Confused

Quote Originally Posted by skyvolt2000 View Post
    Would this be books you read and not what certain factions would LIKE folks to believe?
    And some of the book accused of that-when you read them none of what was claimed was there.
    For some it seemed a book NOT starring a certain demo was propaganda. Funny many of those books had no issue selling as trades outside of comic book stores.
    Just saying

1) Too many events

2) FLOODING the market with certain folks and using the excuse that they sell. Yet when certain OTHERS have sold-every excuse is made to NOT do more. 15 X-Men books starring the same 5 folks is not good business nor is 10 Batman books.

3) Writers-is it THAT hard to find a writer for guys like John Stewart, Booster Gold and others?

4) Too many failures to build up POC beyond Miles Morales, Panther & a few others. Especially under the X-Men banner that seem hostile to black males. If you are the Big Two-folks shouldn't haven't to other companies or read elseworld books to see better written POC.

5) Too many employees with agendas-why is a writer who does not care for Black Panther doing his book? Don't get me started on what was done to Wally West among others. Tim Drake does not make Batman look old-Batman having a TEEN son does.
    Edit: Deleted
    Last edited by DrNewGod; 02-08-2020 at 12:00 PM.

'Sup Choom? Handsome men don't lose fights's Avatar

Modern big two doesn't feel right anymore. Lately, I've been obsessed with Jack Kirby.
    "A happy ending? So unlikely. We're not having a moment here.

Wrong city, wrong people, all huddling in fear.

No one escapes the slaughterhouse, and that's just where you're at.

(You could've asked Rebecca but then Adam stomped her flat.)

You think you're special cuz you're scrappy? You're deluded, time to go.

Lucy's living on the moon but you're another dead psycho."

I think the cyclical nature of comics is really hurting things for me. Marvel and DC's main goal is to preserve the intellectual property and as long as the toys are kept clean, they couldn't care less about interesting stories. At the end of the day, it's always going to revert back to the status quo and this has really been a trend since the late 90s. Prior to that, they were setting what the status quo was and it allowed for a lot more exciting stories. I look at a superhero book by the non Big 2; Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles and I'm sad with how that is able to change and evolve over time while books from Marvel and DC always have to be ready to go back to how they're "meant" to be.

At this point I'm just reading 3 ongoing books from the Big 2; Daredevil, Immortal Hulk and Conan the Barbarian. I understand, DD and Hulk will end up going back to status quo (DD even more or less announced that for May), but the writing is too good to pass up and with Conan, there's little continuity. He just goes from town to town and kills warlords and monsters.

Astonishing Member

Thats the reason why I am very selective with my big two choices. I am down from about 30 books 5 years ago to 4 this month!! And my independent stack growth from 2 to 18!

But I will try out something here and there from the big two, because its not all bad over there. I really liked Gotg from Cates and the current Miles Morales book. And some other stuff, but my expectations are low.

I am currently reading only the most recent Daredevil series, the Avengers book and the new Guardians of the Galaxy series. I also enjoyed reading Old Man Hawkeye and Old Man Quill.

I don't care about DC stuff anymore.

Extraordinary Member

Mostly the bad writing of the early 2000s. Started to turn around a bit late in the decade with Al Ewing's Mighty Avengers. Which was great but didn't last. I think the last book I collected monthly was his Ultimates. But lack of consistent creative teams is another problem and way too much focus on the writer. This story model with 25 pgs of talking and one splash page of action is just not worth the price point.

Astonishing Member

Another problem is that (I my case, maybe you feel the same) i have the feeling that I already read every Marvel/DC story ever. I love my Spider-Man, but its a rare occasion that it surprises me with something fresh. I have the feeling I read all there is. Especially stuff about Aunt May, Doc Ock or Norman Osborn...same, same, but no different...

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by DrNewGod View Post
    Your point four is coherent. Nothing else in your post is. Try again?
    Sounded coherent to me. It's straight forward about how Skyvolt's views on DC's management, and I can't disagree.

Boisterously Confused

Quote Originally Posted by Steel Inquisitor View Post
    Sounded coherent to me. It's straight forward about how Skyvolt's views on DC's management, and I can't disagree.
    Yup. Looking back, I typed it out too fast and it came out in jerk voice. I found it hard to follow the first few line. Is Skyvolt's view that people are promoting a myth that some creators overemphasize issues for marginalized populations?

I finally stopped reading Marvel on a regular, monthly basis for three reasons:
    - too many reboots. No comic was given a chance to breath and grow, and the idea of any comic run lasting more than 30 issues was quickly disappearing. It was basically a comic from one event to another, and I wasn't reading the events
    - the X-men were getting screwed over and no longer felt important.
    - no Thunderbolts. I started comics with Thunderbolts, and without them my desire was greatly decreased.
    "We are Shakespeare. We are Michelangelo. We are Tchaikovsky. We are Turing. We are Mercury. We are Wilde. We are Lincoln, Lorca, Leonardo da Vinci. We are Alexander the Great. We are Fredrick the Great. We are Rustin. We are Addams. We are Marsha! Marsha Marsha Marsha! We so generous, we DeGeneres. We are Ziggy Stardust hooked to the silver screen. Controversially we are Malcolm X. We are Plato. We are Aristotle. We are RuPaul, god dammit! And yes, we are Woolf."

Boisterously Confused

Quote Originally Posted by Kieran_Frost View Post
    I finally stopped reading Marvel on a regular, monthly basis for three reasons:
    - too many reboots. No comic was given a chance to breath and grow, and the idea of any comic run lasting more than 30 issues was quickly disappearing. It was basically a comic from one event to another, and I wasn't reading the events
    - the X-men were getting screwed over and no longer felt important.
    - no Thunderbolts. I started comics with Thunderbolts, and without them my desire was greatly decreased.
    Thunderbolts was the last Marvel series I regularly followed, up until they lost their way. I recall issue 1 hitting early in the history of these forums. The collective shock at Zemo's big reveal was palpable.

Quote Originally Posted by DrNewGod View Post
    Thunderbolts was the last Marvel series I regularly followed, up until they lost their way. I recall issue 1 hitting early in the history of these forums. The collective shock at Zemo's big reveal was palpable.
    It was such an amazing series, and I loved nearly all variations of it. I loved Busiek, Fabian, Ellis; into Parker (the Timebolts were AMAZING). The RedBolts... ain't bolts, don't count in the canon of my mind; but instead -- during that time -- we had Superior Foes of Spiderman (which was basically Thunderbolts, even down to the logo). And I quite liked the ideas of the Winterbolts; but EVENTS ruined any momentum it had and killed the series. I don't think there has been another one since?

For me it was the most consistently great comic, and without it a large chunk of my passion to weather the event/relaunch storm has died.
    "We are Shakespeare. We are Michelangelo. We are Tchaikovsky. We are Turing. We are Mercury. We are Wilde. We are Lincoln, Lorca, Leonardo da Vinci. We are Alexander the Great. We are Fredrick the Great. We are Rustin. We are Addams. We are Marsha! Marsha Marsha Marsha! We so generous, we DeGeneres. We are Ziggy Stardust hooked to the silver screen. Controversially we are Malcolm X. We are Plato. We are Aristotle. We are RuPaul, god dammit! And yes, we are Woolf."

Quote Originally Posted by C_Miller View Post

...At this point I'm just reading 3 ongoing books from the Big 2; Daredevil, Immortal Hulk and Conan the Barbarian...

but the writing is too good to pass up and with Conan, there's little continuity. He just goes from town to town and kills warlords and monsters.
    For me Conan is hard to mess up unless the art is pure sh*t. Even the Savage Avengers stuff was delicious Ameri-trash. For me Conan is forever.

Quote Originally Posted by Zauriel View Post

I don't care about DC stuff anymore.
    Yeah, the only thing I found interesting the last few years was Damian being a pain in the ass, super-brat, know it all that made everybody nervous because his dad is the batman.
    Last edited by GOLGO 13; 02-26-2020 at 02:27 PM.

Extraordinary Member Zero Hunter's Avatar

The main reason? I just didn't feel welcomed by them anymore. It was like Marvel and now DC were saying "thanks for all the money over the years old timer, but you can get the hell out now while we aim our books at the mythical new audience we are pandering too". It was like if you were a long time reader they just wanted you gone. Didn't like a direction they were taking a character you liked and said so you get screamed down and called one of the countless "ism's" that are used these days. No. I just didn't like seeing a character I had been reading for decades written in a way that in no way matched the previous 20 years, but I was the *******. Comics to some fans became all about the cause or their agenda and not about just enjoying a good story, and those angry militant voices like to drown out any and all voices that question that.

Comic fandom has become so toxic it is not even fun anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by Zero Hunter View Post
    The main reason? I just didn't feel welcomed by them anymore. It was like Marvel and now DC were saying "thanks for all the money over the years old timer, but you can get the hell out now while we aim our books at the mythical new audience we are pandering too". It was like if you were a long time reader they just wanted you gone. Didn't like a direction they were taking a character you liked and said so you get screamed down and called one of the countless "ism's" that are used these days. No. I just didn't like seeing a character I had been reading for decades written in a way that in no way matched the previous 20 years, but I was the *******. Comics to some fans became all about the cause or their agenda and not about just enjoying a good story, and those angry militant voices like to drown out any and all voices that question that.

Comic fandom has become so toxic it is not even fun anymore.
    I agree with pushing of agendas and fan boys being toxic. what bothers me are the SJW fanboys. I am all for having minority characters, and gay characters. And I love to see them done well and not just as a sterotype. But if god forbid someone does not like these characters then they are racist or homophobic.

I was called both of these things. I dont really like Miles Morales Spiderman. I just never got into him as a character or was never entertained by his stories. But since I love Peter Parker SpiderMan the only reason that members of another board could find was that it was because I was racist.

I love Bobby Drake. he is my favorite Xman. I didnt really care for it when he came out as gay. I dont think it really added to the story and it always felt like they did this just to say look how progressive we are, we have one of our oldest characters being being gay. I was called homophobic. Even though I am gay myself and have dated many men in the past. I am a hate monger because I dont like what they did with my character. It angers the hell out of me sometimes. Just let me enjoy my stories, dont push your agenda on me and dont get mad at me for not caring for it.
    Last edited by babyblob; 02-15-2020 at 02:23 PM.
    This Post Contains No Artificial Intelligence. It Contains No Human Intelligence Either.