Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by GeneTitan View Post
    My first book was Uncanny #227! Marc Silvestri on pencils had me hooked along with Claremont.
    Uncanny 190 was my first, but #227 was when I started collecting religiously. That was such a great era.

I think it's the Giant Size X-men Deadly Genesis… I just remember Xavier recruiting Ororo…
    “Strength is the lot of but a few privileged men; but austere perseverance, harsh and continuous, may be employed by the smallest of us and rarely fails of its purpose, for its silent power grows irresistibly greater with time.” Goethe

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Sparko View Post
    When would you say that he learned how to write the book? Where did things fall off for you? If you could call it that.
    I think it was about the time John Romita Jr. took over the pencils. That was the time I began to notice Claremont's preoccupation with certain tropes.

Quote Originally Posted by ericng View Post
    For me, it is the best and NOT some of the best X-Men run.

CC and John Bryne/Sal Buscema run is unparallel in terms of storytelling, tight continuity, suspense and art.

All the other writers (even Hickman's) pales in comparison with him.
    I don't like Hickman's concept of you can die today and be resurrected in a few days. LOL. It makes the death meaningless and unemotional because we know X-Men can be resurrected soon. That's why Rosenberg killed many X-Men wantonly.

You should also read CC original New Mutants run until issue 30 at least.
    When did Sal Buscema work on the X-Men? Maybe you're thinking of someone else?

Fantastic Member

post merged

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Buttocks View Post
    I envy you the journey. Hope you're having a fantastic time reading one of the all-time great writers and a collection of artists (Byrne, Cockrum, Smith, Romita Jr, Davis, Adams, Silverstri, Lee amongst others) all doing amazing things
    I can only imagine how good these all were as they were coming out. I’m enjoying the hell out of them with some knowledge as to what is gonna happen already. Obviously the original material is what it is, but I’ve come across many of these stories already when they were redone, so to speak, in X-Men The Animated Series and some of the movies.
    I did thoroughly enjoy the Animated series as it was coming out in the 90’s, but maybe I’m able to have an even bigger appreciation for these classic stories now that I’m of a certain age with my particular life of experience. But yeah, how great must it have been to experience them as they came out?

Extraordinary Member From The Shadows's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Marvelman View Post

He didn't. He along with John Buscema did some pencils for New Mutants and Wolverine, though.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Marvelman View Post

Sal Buscema didn't draw the X-Men but the New Mutants. John Buscema did the Magik miniseries. I believe they are brothers.

9a8180a7b66beafb05795aa263c07a21.jpg
    Last edited by ericng; 02-04-2020 at 06:31 AM.

I recently got Marvel Unlimited and I decided to delve into the legendary run of Claremont. I just met Kitty Pride and Dazzler for the first time, The Hell Fire Club before that, Proteus before, and wow... What a great run so far! It’s been hard to put down. The artwork has been fantastic too, especially after Byrne took over. I didn’t notice who was doing the color but that has been amazing as well. This is easily becoming some of the best Marvel I have read so far.
    Good job and good choice. The Man's a Living Legend.
    My was The Essentials. Giant Size X-Men.

Quote Originally Posted by GeneTitan View Post
    My first book was Uncanny #227! Marc Silvestri on pencils had me hooked along with Claremont.
    My first issue was #111.
    Loved that Byrne/Austin art.
    DIG014447_1._SX360_QL80_TTD_.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Mike View Post
    My first issue was #111.
    Loved that Byrne/Austin art.
    DIG014447_1._SX360_QL80_TTD_.jpg
    This was a fun issue. Arcade was a great villain. It was serious stuff, but not really. I loved how he kind of just bowed out at the end when he was beaten.

This was a fun issue. Arcade was a great villain. It was serious stuff, but not really. I loved how he kind of just bowed out at the end when he was beaten.
    Umm. The villain in this issue was Mesmero.
    You are thinking of issues #123 and #124.
    Those are the Arcade issues.

Astonishing Member OBrianTallent's Avatar

My first issue was 125, then I skipped an issue and jumped into 127 and headlong into the Hellfire storyline and have been hooked ever since. No one writes the X-Men like Claremont. large-3831168.jpg

As noted, Chris would take a one off panel or page and turn it into a complete storyline issues down the road. He understood serial fiction like very few and even fewer these days. His grasp of character and personality (despite his tropes) were as exemplary as his ability to handle a large cast without anyone really feeling left out.
    Those early issues with Byrne on art followed by Cockrum were some of the most fun as well. That's not to say the artists that followed (Silvestri, Jim Lee, JRJR and my personal fav Paul Smith) were to be slighted in any way, there were just none that matched the energy of those early issues to me.
    Last edited by OBrianTallent; 02-05-2020 at 02:13 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike View Post
    Umm. The villain in this issue was Mesmero.
    You are thinking of issues #123 and #124.
    Those are the Arcade issues.
    Yes! You’re right. I remember this story a bit less. I remember the circus and Beast investigating maybe, but not many details. Mesmero wasn’t anywhere as mesmerizing as Arcade! That I’m sure. But that was also way fresher in my history. Either way. Good stuff. I’m now at 134. Jean is The Black Queen, everyone is captured and maybe Cyclops just died in the astral plane and in real life. I’ll next issue!

Quote Originally Posted by OBrianTallent View Post
    My first issue was 125, then I skipped an issue and jumped into 127 and headlong into the Hellfire storyline and have been hooked ever since. No one writes the X-Men like Claremont. large-3831168.jpg

As noted, Chris would take a one off panel or page and turn it into a complete storyline issues down the road. He understood serial fiction like very few and even fewer these days. His grasp of character and personality (despite his tropes) were as exemplary as his ability to handle a large cast without anyone really feeling left out.
    Those early issues with Byrne on art followed by Cockrum were some of the most fun as well. That's not to say the artists that followed (Silvestri, Jim Lee, JRJR and my personal fav Paul Smith) were to be slighted in any way, there were just none that matched the energy of those early issues to me.
    I appreciate how you put all that. I was thinking of what I remember the art looking some ways down the issue numbers, particularly when Inferno happens (and I’ve never read those, just remember the general feel of the cover art. The pencils were scratchier, if I could say it that way) but I couldn’t say the art was worse, just different. Still though, Byrne and the color guy, are killing it with everything.

I recently got Marvel Unlimited and I decided to delve into the legendary run of Claremont. I just met Kitty Pride and Dazzler for the first time, The Hell Fire Club before that, Proteus before, and wow... What a great run so far! It’s been hard to put down. The artwork has been fantastic too, especially after Byrne took over. I didn’t notice who was doing the color but that has been amazing as well. This is easily becoming some of the best Marvel I have read so far.
    His original run defines what the X-Men should always be about. You're headed into some WONDERFUL story telling.
    Need Comics? Consider using my Affiliate link - helps keep my Podcast ad free!
    https://www.mycomicshop.com/?AffID=1055159P01
    Check out the Comic Relief Podcast! - The podcast all about comics!