Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    All-New Member

Quote Originally Posted by Adam-X View Post
    His original run defines what the X-Men should always be about. You're headed into some WONDERFUL story telling.
    I concur. Wait until you reflect back on how long he had Dr Shen in development. Or Storm and Forge's relationship. Or the simmering of Wolvie/Jean/Cyclops relationship. Hickman has nothing on Claremont.

Quote Originally Posted by Armorfiend View Post
    I concur. Wait until you reflect back on how long he had Dr Shen in development. Or Storm and Forge's relationship. Or the simmering of Wolvie/Jean/Cyclops relationship. Hickman has nothing on Claremont.
    Agreed. Clairemont did a nice job foreshadowing a lot of things... the Dark Phoenix... was a master piece spread over MANY issues (with gaps where the story doesn't even TOUCH it - but then a few issues later comes back to it). The fight with the Hellfire Club is amazing (UXM #132 there abouts). Then the Brood. The Shi'ar. The everything.
    Need Comics? Consider using my Affiliate link - helps keep my Podcast ad free!
    https://www.mycomicshop.com/?AffID=1055159P01
    Check out the Comic Relief Podcast! - The podcast all about comics!

Extraordinary Member From The Shadows's Avatar

This was my first issue hot off the (spinner) racks back in 1983! I loved all the X-Men to bits but Nightcrawler and Shadowcat became my instant faves! I devoured Classic X-Men when it came out in 1986 with all the stories I missed plus those absolutely lovely back-up stories! I'm glad you are enjoying yourself. I sure did!

Quote Originally Posted by Armorfiend View Post
    its such a shame that the current sales climate of the industry doesn't really allow for long-term storytelling like Claremont was giving us. With unsustained sales and relaunches left right and centre no one feels they have that kind of time to invest into these stories on both sides of the fence, readers and writers alike. not sure where im going with this or even how related it is to the topic. It just makes me a bit sad to reflect on the truly amazing work put into developing the stories that built up the franchise and how that same level of work isn't sustainable anymore

Quote Originally Posted by From The Shadows View Post
    (UXM 168)

This was my first issue hot off the (spinner) racks back in 1983! I loved all the X-Men to bits but Nightcrawler and Shadowcat became my instant faves! I devoured Classic X-Men when it came out in 1986 with all the stories I missed plus those absolutely lovely back-up stories! I'm glad you are enjoying yourself. I sure did!
    I _loved_ this issue because someone we see save Kitty in 166 (who I assumed was gone) pops up in 168 and makes me SO happy!

I _loved_ this issue because someone we see save Kitty in 166 (who I assumed was gone) pops up in 168 and makes me SO happy!
    *Giddy* Absolutely! Lockheed is love!

Quote Originally Posted by houndsofluv View Post
    its such a shame that the current sales climate of the industry doesn't really allow for long-term storytelling like Claremont was giving us. With unsustained sales and relaunches left right and centre no one feels they have that kind of time to invest into these stories on both sides of the fence, readers and writers alike. not sure where im going with this or even how related it is to the topic. It just makes me a bit sad to reflect on the truly amazing work put into developing the stories that built up the franchise and how that same level of work isn't sustainable anymore
    Whether it fits or not I feel the same way. A lot of us do. Ahem.
    Last edited by From The Shadows; 02-05-2020 at 10:17 PM.

Agreed. Clairemont did a nice job foreshadowing a lot of things... the Dark Phoenix... was a master piece spread over MANY issues (with gaps where the story doesn't even TOUCH it - but then a few issues later comes back to it). The fight with the Hellfire Club is amazing (UXM #132 there abouts). Then the Brood. The Shi'ar. The everything.
    Wow. All I can say. Wow.

Just did 134 & 135. The Hellfire Club fight. Dark Phoenix exploded. Caught me completely off guard. Wow. And I knew it was coming. So much foreshadowing. Such good everything.

She fed on a star!!!

Wow!!

Amazing!!!!
    Last edited by Sparko; 02-05-2020 at 10:01 PM.

Whoops! I put the touching moment scan in this thread. This is what happens when I have two windows open at the same time and I'm trying to do too many things.

Yep DPS is excitement indeed!
    Last edited by From The Shadows; 02-05-2020 at 10:17 PM.

Astonishing Member Su_Whisterfield's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by From The Shadows View Post

That was the first current issue I picked up.
    I’d been reading and collecting back issues and Marvel UK reprints since 1980.

Quote Originally Posted by Sparko View Post
    Wow. All I can say. Wow.

Just did 134 & 135. The Hellfire Club fight. Dark Phoenix exploded. Caught me completely off guard. Wow. And I knew it was coming. So much foreshadowing. Such good everything.

She fed on a star!!!

Wow!!

Amazing!!!!
    Wait until the opening page of UXM #136 - hands down one of my favorite pictures of Jean/Dark Phoenix. Used it as a wallpaper _forever_.

It'll be even more interesting to see how OP goes into the 90's books from here. I feel like born and raised Claremont fans had a rough time during this era. I know I personally felt like my beloved complicated friends were becoming He-Man characters. But completely understand the nostalgia that those fans experience in their own way especially in combination with the cartoon.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Sparko View Post
    Yes! You’re right. I remember this story a bit less. I remember the circus and Beast investigating maybe, but not many details. Mesmero wasn’t anywhere as mesmerizing as Arcade! That I’m sure. But that was also way fresher in my history. Either way. Good stuff. I’m now at 134. Jean is The Black Queen, everyone is captured and maybe Cyclops just died in the astral plane and in real life. I’ll next issue!
    The best Claremont issues was from 94 until issue 142.

The rest of the stories were good but weren't as legendary.
    Last edited by ericng; 02-06-2020 at 09:49 AM.

Astonishing Member Su_Whisterfield's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by pandafarmer View Post
    It'll be even more interesting to see how OP goes into the 90's books from here. I feel like born and raised Claremont fans had a rough time during this era. I know I personally felt like my beloved complicated friends were becoming He-Man characters. But completely understand the nostalgia that those fans experience in their own way especially in combination with the cartoon.
    I left when Chris did, for exactly that reason!
    Only came back last year, to find HoX/PoX underway.

Quote Originally Posted by Su_Whisterfield View Post
    I left when Chris did, for exactly that reason!
    Only came back last year, to find HoX/PoX underway.
    Welcome back! I kind of had the same thing happen. In the 90's I dropped out but as a Buffy fan I had to check out what the Wheadon run was about which got me into the Morrison run and House of M. Then I had to drop out because I was broke AF and couldn't justify reading multiple comic books. I came back a couple of years ago by accident and then spent about a year+ re-reading everything from Giant-Sized forward so I could understand what they heck was going on.
    Team Yana Bachalo Fanboy Cyclops Was Right