Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Default First time reading Claremont’s run...

I recently got Marvel Unlimited and I decided to delve into the legendary run of Claremont. I just met Kitty Pride and Dazzler for the first time, The Hell Fire Club before that, Proteus before, and wow... What a great run so far! It’s been hard to put down. The artwork has been fantastic too, especially after Byrne took over. I didn’t notice who was doing the color but that has been amazing as well. This is easily becoming some of the best Marvel I have read so far.

Glad you're enjoying it! You're right in the thick of some of the best imo. My first book was Uncanny #225 and Claremont had me for life.
    "Danielle... I intend to do something rash and violent." - Betsy Braddock
    Krakoa, Arakko, and Otherworld forever!

Quote Originally Posted by Jbenito View Post
    Glad you're enjoying it! You're right in the thick of some of the best imo. My first book was Uncanny #225 and Claremont had me for life.
    My first book was Uncanny #227! Marc Silvestri on pencils had me hooked along with Claremont.

Quote Originally Posted by Sparko View Post
    I recently got Marvel Unlimited and I decided to delve into the legendary run of Claremont. I just met Kitty Pride and Dazzler for the first time, The Hell Fire Club before that, Proteus before, and wow... What a great run so far! It’s been hard to put down. The artwork has been fantastic too, especially after Byrne took over. I didn’t notice who was doing the color but that has been amazing as well. This is easily becoming some of the best Marvel I have read so far.
    You will FOREVER remembver reading those classics! I know I do!

Enjoy!! Welcome to The Comic Classics!

Quote Originally Posted by GeneTitan View Post
    My first book was Uncanny #227! Marc Silvestri on pencils had me hooked along with Claremont.
    I love that! Both of those covers pulled me right in and Silvestri changed my life.
    "Danielle... I intend to do something rash and violent." - Betsy Braddock
    Krakoa, Arakko, and Otherworld forever!

I have to imagine I’m gonna plow through these and plow and plow. I started reading X-Men in the early 90’s and even then it was just one here and one there and not many stories consistently. I was reading Spidey mostly. I collected ASM, PPSM, and Web, and just plain Spidey, but soon enough, the bubble of comics happened and stores all around me closed. I was out of comics for years! So here I go! On now reading one of the most celebrated runs in history. I’d love to keep hearing what moments have been great for you all. Somehow they don’t feel like spoilers.

Fantastic Member mikelmcknight72's Avatar

You get to add on the X-Men Graphic Novel God Loves Man Kills and the New Mutants introduction in their graphic novel, the New Mutants series, the first volume of X-Factor, the first volume of Excalibur with some one shot specials, etc. You've got a great ride ahead of you!

Yeah, I was thinking of jumping in all that too. I just have to find the reading order. Got any good sources?

I’ve found a couple reading lists and this seems to be the most comprehensive so far...

https://crushingkrisis.com/crushing-...g-order-guide/

Fantastic Member

I think Claremont was a stronger writer before he "learned" how to write the book.

Quote Originally Posted by Marvelman View Post
    I think Claremont was a stronger writer before he "learned" how to write the book.
    When would you say that he learned how to write the book? Where did things fall off for you? If you could call it that.

Mighty Member

I loved his stuff and it still amazes me that while in the middle of a story he might take one page and start the beginning of another plot. His writing was verbose and used the same line over and over (“the focus totality of my telepathy” comes to mind) he was able to weave multiple threads into the stories. His writing made the book feel like one massive story, not just a six issue arc for trade like most stories these days. I miss his plotting of his original run. I also loved X-treme X-men.

Storm rarely napped in his stories.

Mighty Member

For me, it is the best and NOT some of the best X-Men run.

CC and John Bryne/Sal Buscema run is unparallel in terms of storytelling, tight continuity, suspense and art.

All the other writers (even Hickman's) pales in comparison with him.
    I don't like Hickman's concept of you can die today and be resurrected in a few days. LOL. It makes the death meaningless and unemotional because we know X-Men can be resurrected soon. That's why Rosenberg killed many X-Men wantonly.

You should also read CC original New Mutants run until issue 30 at least.
    Last edited by ericng; 02-03-2020 at 12:24 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by ericng View Post
    For me, it is the best and NOT some of the best X-Men run.

You should also read CC original New Mutants run until issue 30 at least.
    Thanks! I found a pretty good reading list and I have a lot of time to read so I’m gonna dig my heels in and try and go in somewhat order when NM comes in. At some point I’ll jump on X-Factor too. Once I finish the Dark Phoenix stuff, I’ll probably jump into Classic X-Men for background.

Fantastic Member Captain Buttocks's Avatar

I envy you the journey. Hope you're having a fantastic time reading one of the all-time great writers and a collection of artists (Byrne, Cockrum, Smith, Romita Jr, Davis, Adams, Silverstri, Lee amongst others) all doing amazing things