9 25.71%
  • I like both

5 14.29%
  • I hate both

1 2.86%
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Extraordinary Member thwhtGuardian's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Godzilla2099 View Post
    Then why wasn't Finn able to do it? Luke fought his Dad who had several limbs amputated and he got his butt handed to him. I gave many reasons why Rey is a ludicrous character. Didn't make anything up here.

Canon or a guess?
    Finn did pretty well himself...and Vader never fought Luke while actively wounded, he had cybernetic implants from past injuries sure but those don't compromise his ability to fight. You're really tying yourself into knots in an absurd quest to make this stick.

Extraordinary Member thwhtGuardian's Avatar

No apologies needed. Personal Preference. For me, Nero wins because when I saw his ship, how this guy operated, and what he was willing to do to get the job done. He lost his home and family which resulted losing his sanity. I don't recall seeing Romulans with tattoos though.

It was the overall atmosphere (maybe it wasn't just him as a villain) of the movie that set him apart. I felt more urgency and desperation with the heroes when they had to deal with Nero. I saw him as an actual threat.

Kylo Ren on the other hand, other than a cool costume and weapon, he had nothing going on. The entire theater laughed when he yelled "Traitor" at Finn.
    Nero was definitely better than Kylo, not only did he have clear and understandable motivations but they took the time to establish him as a real threat in the film which they never did with Kylo. Before we even got to know anything about Kylo they had the hero make fun of him which killed any menace he may have been able to build.

Nero was more of a civilian Romulan apparently (A former captain of a mining vessel); the ones we've seen in the other shows tended to be part of the military or spies. Hence at least part of why he had a somewhat different look than others.
    chrism227.wordpress.com Info and opinions on a variety of interests.

https://twitter.com/chrisprtsmouth

Comparing Luke and Rey? Seriously?

Luke got his butt handed to him by Sand People
    Ben had to save him at the Cantina
    He struggled against a training droid
    Vader would have shot Luke down if Han didn't save him
    Vader owned him in a lightsaber duel
    Yeah, it isn't really until Jedi that we see Luke as a more skilled, badass character apart from his flying skills. Even then he does have problems in Jedi-he gets his artificial hand damaged by a blaster bolt (causing him to wear a glove for the rest of the film), and kind of bungled his barter with Jabba, although that might've been part of his plan anyway.

I voted for Star Trek. JJ Abrams was bold, and took things in a new direction, and committed to breaking the mold. He refused to be constrained by the rules that came before, and it was very creative. In Star Wars... he literally gave us A New Hope remake. It's night and day in contrast.
    "We are Shakespeare. We are Michelangelo. We are Tchaikovsky. We are Turing. We are Mercury. We are Wilde. We are Lincoln, Lorca, Leonardo da Vinci. We are Alexander the Great. We are Fredrick the Great. We are Rustin. We are Addams. We are Marsha! Marsha Marsha Marsha! We so generous, we DeGeneres. We are Ziggy Stardust hooked to the silver screen. Controversially we are Malcolm X. We are Plato. We are Aristotle. We are RuPaul, god dammit! And yes, we are Woolf."

^However, Into Darkness did retread elements of Wrath of Khan, especially in it's last hour.

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisIII View Post
    ^However, Into Darkness did retread elements of Wrath of Khan, especially in it's last hour.
    Oh, totally (but the thread wasn't asking about that ). I was not impressed at Into Darkness. Had they been really brave (as brave as they were in the first one) and actually killed Kirk, fully dead not coming back... and had Spock lead the Enterprise from then on in the films, no Kirk... I would have been impressed. Had they been bold enough to do that. But they weren't; and it was downhill from there.
    "We are Shakespeare. We are Michelangelo. We are Tchaikovsky. We are Turing. We are Mercury. We are Wilde. We are Lincoln, Lorca, Leonardo da Vinci. We are Alexander the Great. We are Fredrick the Great. We are Rustin. We are Addams. We are Marsha! Marsha Marsha Marsha! We so generous, we DeGeneres. We are Ziggy Stardust hooked to the silver screen. Controversially we are Malcolm X. We are Plato. We are Aristotle. We are RuPaul, god dammit! And yes, we are Woolf."

Comparing Luke and Rey? Seriously?
    Abso-frakking-loutly.

Luke got his butt handed to him by Sand People
    Unlike Rey, Luke was raised on a farm and not forced to fight for survival.

Ben had to save him at the Cantina
    Funny how they filmed a similar scene with Rey and Chewie for TFA.

He struggled against a training droid
    Yeak?

Vader would have shot Luke down if Han didn't save him
    Wonder how Rey would've fared had Kylo found her before the others did (e.g. before he was dealing with a shot to the gut), given that Kylo curb-stomped her on Takodana?

Vader owned him in a lightsaber duel
    Only reason Rey beat Kylo in TFA was because he was seriously hurt and even then he nearly won (watch the frakking movie!). And guess what, in TROS, when they have their last duel, Kylo was winning. Only reason Rey won was because she took advantage of his distraction when Leia used the Force to reach him (and left after deciding that she'd crossed a line). Bear in mind at this point both of them were at full health and Rey had had her formal Jedi schooling.

Need I go on?
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)