Spectacular Member

Default Mandarin's rings becoming alive storyline

Hi folks I'm trying to track down the MCU storyline of Mandarin's Ring becoming alive and taking over people,

Which comics did this appear in?.

LW

Ulf. Why? That is such a sharkjump that completely misses the point of the rings. *sigh* It was during Kieron Gillen's run. Just do a search for Kieron Gillen Iron Man.

Spectacular Member

Thanks, it was a shark jump?.

LW

Yes. The thing about the Mandarin is, the key defining aspects of his origin aren't finding the rings. Rather, he was trained to be an evil super-soldier by an aunt who hated him. He's like an evil version of Batman. His aunt squandered all his money on his training, resulting in him going broke. Once broke, he basically turned into a Christopher Columbus type, wandering, exploring, finding the alien resources and exploiting the villagers near those resources like Columbus did the Taino. The rings are simultaneously the gold Columbus coveted and the guns he used to enslave the Taino to get it.

When you turn the rings into these sentient things that possess people, you destroy all that. The Mandarin goes from Batman combined with Christopher Columbus into being Gollum. It's a huge sharkjump.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelC View Post
    Yes. The thing about the Mandarin is, the key defining aspects of his origin aren't finding the rings. Rather, he was trained to be an evil super-soldier by an aunt who hated him. He's like an evil version of Batman. His aunt squandered all his money on his training, resulting in him going broke. Once broke, he basically turned into a Christopher Columbus type, wandering, exploring, finding the alien resources and exploiting the villagers near those resources like Columbus did the Taino. The rings are simultaneously the gold Columbus coveted and the guns he used to enslave the Taino to get it.

When you turn the rings into these sentient things that possess people, you destroy all that. The Mandarin goes from Batman combined with Christopher Columbus into being Gollum. It's a huge sharkjump.
    But the mandarin was controlled by the rings? The mandarin has been shw other times withput the rings and he was still evil so probably the control thing only affect those with a weak mind.

and in they story they said that the hate of the rings for iron man came from the mandarin so , he would be sauron more that Gollun

The problem with that arc is that when you do these kinds of stories, the biggest hook is always who gets which thing, and that can be really fun and great. But Gillen wasted it all on OCs, Malekith (who has nothing to do with Iron Man and is only there cuz movie + weak to iron), and Mole Man (who is actually an interesting enemy for Tony potentially, so of course he's only in it for two seconds at the end.) The premise could've led to a seminal modern Iron Man story, but it was a complete waste and now it would be weird for a writer to come in and try to do the concept justice.
    I don't blind date I make the direct market vibrate

Ultimate Member

I remember that story, felt like they were aping the yellow lanterns.

Quote Originally Posted by The Cool Thatguy View Post
    I remember that story, felt like they were aping the yellow lanterns.
    That’s how I felt about it.
    "We live in a world of cowards. We live in a world full of small minds who are afraid. We are ruled by those who refuse to risk anything of their own. Who guard their over bloated paucities of power with money. With false reasoning. With measured hesitance. With prideful, recalcitrant inaction. With hateful invective. With weapons. F@#K these selfish fools and their prevailing world order." Tony Stark