Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Omega Beam Challenge

List some of the weakest characters who could take a hit from Pre-Crisis Darkseid's Omega Beams.

Ignore here protection from shields or interposed artifacts. The idea is, can the character himself tank the hit with raw durability, not block it with something indestructible.

So for example, Thor would have to take the beam head on, rather than interpose Mjolnir. Similarly, Diana couldn't use her bracelets, nor Odin interpose Gungnir.

Just assemble a list of some of the lowest tier characters (roughly speaking) who could do this.
    Last edited by Shai-Hulud; 02-03-2020 at 06:51 PM.

Surfer, probably.
    Sentry.
    Thanos.
    Uh.
    Yeah, but if you... man, we're getting into weird analogy territory, like if you disintegrated Superman's arms he wouldn't be able to go "fool! Little did you know that my arms and I are one and can be remade from me!" and will his arms back into being from pure nothingness. - Pendaran

Arx Inosaan

Forgot the stock answer:

Butterball.
    Yeah, but if you... man, we're getting into weird analogy territory, like if you disintegrated Superman's arms he wouldn't be able to go "fool! Little did you know that my arms and I are one and can be remade from me!" and will his arms back into being from pure nothingness. - Pendaran

Arx Inosaan

Quote Originally Posted by Cthulhu_of_R'lyeh View Post
    Surfer, probably.
    Sentry.
    Thanos.
    Uh.
    That's a high bar.

Isn't Surfer a bit beneath the latter two?

Quote Originally Posted by Shai-Hulud View Post
    That's a high bar.

Isn't Surfer a bit beneath the latter two?
    You did say lowest; and Pre-Crisis Darksied is stupid powerful.

Arx Inosaan

You did say lowest; and Pre-Crisis Darksied is stupid powerful.
    Yes, I agree, of course.

How about?

• Pre-Crisis Superman?
    • 616 Gladiator?
    • Barry Allen Flash (he can control his own molecules)?
    • Impossible Man?
    • Ikaris, Thena, and Eternals generally?
    Last edited by Shai-Hulud; 02-03-2020 at 07:25 PM.

Eternals? I don't see them staying dead permanent, no.

If the bar is simply, "who doesn't need their body to survive" though, the list gets considerably bigger. Mr. Immortal for example, would come back from the Omega Beams barring them having an effect that overrides his immortality.

Arx Inosaan

Eternals? I don't see them staying dead permanent, no.

If the bar is simply, "who doesn't need their body to survive" though, the list gets considerably bigger. Mr. Immortal for example, would come back from the Omega Beams barring them having an effect that overrides his immortality.
    Are we sure about that bit?

I thought an aspect of the Omega Beams was that they did more (or other) than merely kill you.

I was under the impression that we were dealing with Existence Erasure here.

Was that a Pre-Crisis fixture, or Post?

Arx Inosaan

Was that a Pre-Crisis fixture, or Post?
    Don't know which. The idea was to use the OP as a general platform to learn about how powerful the Pre-Crisis Omega Beams are.

The Weeping Mod Sharpandpointies's Avatar

I would argue that Typhon (Creatures of Light and Darkness) would shrug off the Omega Beams, given the crap that goes on in that book and the fact that Typhon himself (itself?) is basically an existence eraser made manifest. And basically ignores...well, everything, including stuff specifically designed to hopefully deal with him/it.

...on the other hand, I'm not sure Typhon could be considered 'weakest'.
    Why are we here?

"Superboy Prime (the yelling guy if he needs clarification)..." - Postmania
    "...dropping an orca whale made of fire on your enemies is a pretty strong opening move." - Nik
    "Why throw punches when you can be making everyone around you sterile mutant corpses?" - Pendaran, regarding Dr. Fate

Astonishing Member Captain Morgan's Avatar

As I recall, Darkseid one shot Mon-El into a coma, who is basically precrisis Superman and used moon's as weapon s for hand to hand combat, and didn't even need the Omega Beams to do it. Surfer and Superman should get one shot and probably killed by the beams themselves. As would Gladiator.

Not sure even for Sentry and Thanks, but I don't think they are a given.

The Weeping Mod Sharpandpointies's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Morgan View Post
    Not sure even for Sentry and Thanks, but I don't think they are a given.
    Dude, you should always give thanks.
    Why are we here?

"Superboy Prime (the yelling guy if he needs clarification)..." - Postmania
    "...dropping an orca whale made of fire on your enemies is a pretty strong opening move." - Nik
    "Why throw punches when you can be making everyone around you sterile mutant corpses?" - Pendaran, regarding Dr. Fate

Drop Dead Fred, Tyler Durden (Not The Narrator) and any resident of Foster's Home For Imaginary Friends. The Omega Effect works by erasing beings from existence. Being imaginary, all of these individuals already do not exist, thus the beams will do nothing to them.
    The CBR Community Standards & Rules - Your Guide to Being a Member

Mighty Member

Prism of the Marauders

He can absorb energy blasts or reflect/refract them

I don't remember of the Omega Effect has a clause that prevents absorption or reflection, so this could be wrong.