Default Suicide Squad #2 spoilers/discussion

The first two issues of Taylor’s Suicide Squad have been great! Intriguing, very brutal, and capturing the vibe of Ostrander’s classic run. Since most of the lineup consists of new characters, they’re all pretty much expendable and can be taken out in any issue. That’s what the essence of the book should always be. It gets bogged down when all of the characters are well known so there’s very little chance of DC allowing the writer to kill them off.

The new characters have all been a lot of fun. Even Deadshot was blown away by how clever they are and how great they work as a team.

Lok is just a cold hearted bastard. Making Fin team up with The Shark after he ate his brother is pretty horrible.
    Last edited by Robotman; 02-03-2020 at 08:18 PM.

I’m probably picking up this series mostly in trade or random issue pick ups (you never know with impulse comic buying), but I genuinely agree on the part about new original characters. My problem has always been for the past couple years, no matter how good the writing because it’s not as if we haven’t had good series, that I could never take the threat seriously when they bring in established and prominent villain characters or characters who have stuck this series out for years. I mean come on we all know they won’t kill Harley, and we pretty much knew Zod of all people would never be killed off in a Suicide Sqaud book. I think the last surprising big death in Suicide squad for me was probably New 52 Reverse Flash, which I think worked really well for the Wallace West Kid Flash.

But yeah I’m pretty happy most of the big cast appears to be new characters and I’m excited to eventually see what is done with them. Especially with Tom Taylor who is one of my favorite writers at DC right now.
    "It's fun and it's cool, so that's all that matters. It's what comics are for, Duh."
    Words to live by.

I haven't enjoyed a Suicide Squad series this much since John Ostrander's 80s/90s run. Lok is frightening but it's hard to believe the Wall doesn't have something up her sleeve...

So it looks like magpie is really dead
    I'm cool with the new characters but if they are just there to be killed off and look pathetic next to everyone else then yeah that is a sad existence. Its even sadder because they act like a family
    Magpie and Cavalier are confirmed killed so its not just the new characters dying
    Lock is a bastard and somewhat interesting but I miss Waller maybe if they made Lock a female I could stomach the generic archetype he represents
    Last edited by Nite-Wing; 02-04-2020 at 06:34 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Nite-Wing View Post
    So it looks like magpie is really dead
    I'm cool with the new characters but if they are just there to be killed off and look pathetic next to everyone else then yeah that is a sad existence. Its even sadder because they act like a family
    Magpie and Cavalier are confirmed killed so its not just the new characters dying
    Lock is a bastard and somewhat interesting but I miss Waller maybe if they made Lock a female I could stomach the generic archetype he represents
    I think Lok seems like more than just a generic archetype. Waller did some shady things but she never sent in Squad members as bait. Especially a villain like Magpie who is not a fighter. That was an execution. But Lok doesn’t come off as a foaming at the mouth sadists either. Just kind of soulless.