Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Action Comics #1019 - discussion & spoilers

I hate this.

I literally had no idea what was going on and it felt like I had to have read the Leviathan miniseries to even have a clue. I resent this greatly.

JRJR continues to be a terrible Superman artist ... although Supes was barely even in this issue. It felt like Year of the Villain and Leviathan were just mashed together with no breathing room.

Not sure if I'll pick up the next AC. Just feels like burning a five dollar bill.

What did you think of the issue?

Yeah Leviathan is pretty much mandatory to know what the hell is going on. Romita Jr’s art was pretty rough to put it lightly. Overall I enjoyed it though.

The Man Who Cannot Die manwhohaseverything's Avatar

Atleast with jon or lois taking screen space. I was enjoying things.but,this was a snooze fest. If they really want to give some panel time to someone give it to bibbo. Sheesh!

Yeah, this arc has been terrible. I generally like JRJR's art. it's stylized and unique, but here it's just messy and horrendous. Grodd and Cheetah look terrible.

Wasn't Bendis' whole thing with Leviathan that they weren't going to be real "bad guys" so much as grey area? He said that in an interview that was published yesterday I think regarding the Leviathan Dawn one shot even. And yet the second arc he writes with it they team up with the Legion of Doom to raze Metropolis because Superman was mean to them or something? It makes no sense.

This really just seems like another of Bendis' half thought out first draft story arcs that sound cool, but the execution is just rushed and a mess.

Astonishing Member

Something like Leviathan to be in the grey area has to be government sanctioned, be it one or several otherwise whoever it is at the the top is nothing more than a terrorist beholden to no one, or law etc. He oversold a half cooked idea without mapping out how it could actually work. So is it stands, Leviathan is a villainous group that needs to be eliminated as it adds nothing to the fabric of the DCU unless you make it into a Hydra instead of the SHIELD he was touting.

I cannot wait until this blah arc is over. I'm no more interested in the Legion of Doom than i am in Leviathan at this stage. The invisible mafia plot was so much better and that seems to have been abandoned for the more run of the mill stories.
    Last edited by rpmaluki; 02-04-2020 at 08:30 AM.

Extraordinary Member superduperman's Avatar

The requirement to read every crossover event to understand what's going on in the main books is one of the reasons I stopped picking up mainstream books.
    Assassinate Putin!

THE MARK OF MY DIGNITY Superlad93's Avatar

The Leviathan Rising stuff with Epting was this book at its very, very best (in both writing and art) under Bendis. That said, I dig the non-linear structure.
    Last edited by Superlad93; 02-04-2020 at 06:41 PM.
    "Mark my words! This drill will open a hole in the universe. And that hole will become a path for those that follow after us. The dreams of those who have fallen. The hopes of those who will follow. Those two sets of dreams weave together into a double helix, drilling a path towards tomorrow. THAT's Tengen Toppa! THAT'S Gurren Lagann! MY DRILL IS THE DRILL THAT CREATES THE HEAVENS!" - The Digger

We walk on the path to Secher Nbiw. Though hard fought, we walk the Golden Path.

Astonishing Member

Leviathan started well, I'm just not feeling the current arc at the moment.

Extraordinary Member DragonPiece's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by rpmaluki View Post
    Leviathan started well, I'm just not feeling the current arc at the moment.
    I had a bad feeling as soon as I saw the artist and just how much characters Bendis was bringing into this arc. Bendis's weak area was always these big crossover type stories at Marvel, so I can't say I'm shocked at how bad this arc has been. It's a shame because Action has been his best work with Superman up to this point.

Astonishing Member

Ugh, they need to keep Bendis away from crossover events clear because this book was awful for me.

I feel like the cover was misleading too. I thought I was getting Apex Lex and Leviathan and ... wait, who's that guy in the middle?

Didn't even realize they were 3 people facing Clark.

This issue was just mush: a bunch of exposition and then shots of action with not enough context.

Writing sucked. Art sucked.

2/10

Amazing Member

Terrible issue. Art sucked and nothing actually happened. I liked Event Leviathan (the ending sucked of course but never mind that). Action these days is nothing but cheap promotion for other books by Bendis.

Well, don't I feel like a clown.

That's not a 3rd mystery villain (between Apex Lex and Leviathan) at all! That's just Leviathan's weapon arm!

Yeesh.

Ok, so the cover isn't deliberately as misleading as I thought.

But damn, JRJR's artwork is so non-district that I can't tell his arm from his head.

How much longer are both of these pointless crossovers (YOTV and Leviathan) supposed to drag on for?

Quote Originally Posted by daBronzeBomma View Post
    Well, don't I feel like a clown.

That's not a 3rd mystery villain (between Apex Lex and Leviathan) at all! That's just Leviathan's weapon arm!

Yeesh.

Ok, so the cover isn't deliberately as misleading as I thought.

But damn, JRJR's artwork is so non-district that I can't tell his arm from his head.

How much longer are both of these pointless crossovers (YOTV and Leviathan) supposed to drag on for?
    Also doesn't help that the "frizz-hair" that Jr draws (see cover above) always makes me think of Bizarro, and I have to force myself to remember that it's Superman.
    Hear my new CD "Love The World Away", available on iTunes, Google Music, Spotify, Shazam, and Amazon: https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B01N5XYV..._waESybX1C0RXK via @amazon
    www.jamiekelleymusic.com
    TV interview here: https://snjtoday.com/snj-today-hotline-jamie-kelley/

I'm finding that there's a weird inverse relationship between the Action and Superman title right now: the greater received one is, the worse the other one is.