The new Birds of Prey movie has got me thinking

I know the concept of an anti hero and anti villain is not a new thing but lately it seems like DC wants to have its cake and eat it to.

Harley Quinn is a member of the Suicide Squad that is usually her status quo. She commits crimes and has to serve her sentence there
This allows her some immense flexibility as well. The missions she's allowed to go out on create an excuse for why she is out running free wherever she may be in the DCU
So now you might see her featured in Gotham with Ivy or Selina or working with the JL(really not a fan of this)
Someone even pointed out to me in a recent annual for teen titans she killed a teen girl on a mission for the squad right under the nose of kid flash

Harley Quinn also has her own solo adventures which are of course also in continuity but not along the same track as the above timeline. They are in the "future" where she is no longer a member of the skwad and has been released to do whatever she wants out in the world.

Then you have the black label series which are doing their own thing and are basically elseworlds stories but you are seeing storylines where she's more heroic like in Batman: The White Knight and Curse of the White Knight, Also Joker/ Harley criminal sanity.
Then you have the books with a more villainous slant like Harleen and Batman: The damned

That's a lot of different takes heroic and villainous

The only other characters I see straddling the line like that in DC is Jason Todd and Lobo but of course they don't appear as much as Harley