Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    The Weeping Mod Sharpandpointies's Avatar

*glances around* Are we derailed? We're derailed.
    Why are we here?

"Superboy Prime (the yelling guy if he needs clarification)..." - Postmania
    "...dropping an orca whale made of fire on your enemies is a pretty strong opening move." - Nik
    "Why throw punches when you can be making everyone around you sterile mutant corpses?" - Pendaran, regarding Dr. Fate

Quote Originally Posted by Sharpandpointies View Post
    ...although, going by MOVIE times rather than the in-world timeline, that could be the seizure-inducing manifestation from The Hobbit.
    You mean the WhatTheHeck!romancer fight?
    Yeah, but if you... man, we're getting into weird analogy territory, like if you disintegrated Superman's arms he wouldn't be able to go "fool! Little did you know that my arms and I are one and can be remade from me!" and will his arms back into being from pure nothingness. - Pendaran

Arx Inosaan

*glances around* Are we derailed? We're derailed.
    I'll allow it! ^_^

Very entertaining
    "At the end of the day, Arby is a pretty prolific poster proposing a plurality of proper posts for us."
    - big_adventure

Quote Originally Posted by Cthulhu_of_R'lyeh View Post
    You mean the WhatTheHeck!romancer fight?
    Yeah, that.

Quote Originally Posted by The Arbiter View Post
    I'll allow it! ^_^

Very entertaining
    Hooray! Best Movie Lord of the Rings thread ever!

Granted, the bar is pretty low.
    Why are we here?

"...dropping an orca whale made of fire on your enemies is a pretty strong opening move." - Nik
    "Why throw punches when you can be making everyone around you sterile mutant corpses?" - Pendaran, regarding Dr. Fate

...then I went back, watched the fight and it ruined everything.

I hate this thread. -_-
    Why are we here?

That is movie Sauron's true power.
    Yeah, but if you... man, we're getting into weird analogy territory, like if you disintegrated Superman's arms he wouldn't be able to go "fool! Little did you know that my arms and I are one and can be remade from me!" and will his arms back into being from pure nothingness. - Pendaran

Arx Inosaan

Dude ruins EVERYTHING, no wonder he never got invites to parties.

...which explains the Rings.
    Why are we here?

It is now my primary head canon that he forged the Rings as petty vengeance for getting snubbed by the popular kids.
    "At the end of the day, Arby is a pretty prolific poster proposing a plurality of proper posts for us."
    - big_adventure

It is now my primary head canon that he forged the Rings as petty vengeance for getting snubbed by the popular kids.
    Remember we're talking about Movie Sauron, here.

Book Sauron actually had big plans; he wasn't all 'It is the Age of the Orc, bwahaha'.
    Why are we here?

Quote Originally Posted by big_adventure View Post
    In that case, given that Sauron loses that war because of a broken sword held out in a prayer defense swing by "just a guy" with no other real feats to speak of, the vastly faster, vastly stronger, wielding sufficient magic to not get knocked away Geralt should be able to replicate the situation.

I would say the ring situation, given the time period, is very much common knowledge.
    I'm not very informed on LOTR lore but didn't the sword Isildor (sp?) used to lop off Sauron's hand have magical properties? It was also used to block a ghost's intangible sword.

Quote Originally Posted by Slade1 View Post
    I'm not very informed on LOTR lore but didn't the sword Isildor (sp?) used to lop off Sauron's hand have magical properties? It was also used to block a ghost's intangible sword.
    As yes, the Snot King's sword.

Arx Inosaan

Rumbles Limbo Champion big_adventure's Avatar

No, no. Seizure-inducing for the audience, not the people Sauron faced.

Seriously, go back and watch that scene again, it's...well, it's followed up by the Return of Radioactive Galadriel, so I'm hard-pressed to make a decision on which is worse.
    That sounds very, very painful.
    "But... But I want to be a big karate cyborg... ;_;" - Nik Hasta
    "Get off my lawn! ...on this forum, that just makes people think of Cyclops." - Sharpandpointies
    "...makes me think the Night King just says "Screw the rules, I have magic money" when it comes to physics." -Captain Morgan

Yeah, that.

Hooray! Best Movie Lord of the Rings thread ever!

Granted, the bar is pretty low.
    It's even too low for me, and I'm still the reigning Rumbles Limbo Champion.

...then I went back, watched the fight and it ruined everything.

I hate this thread. -_-
    It had to happen. If it wasn't going back for that fight, it was going to be something else. "Snot King's Sword" is mentioned below.

For Sharp, I don't even think that Sauron is a candidate for a top 5 worst things list for LotR.

Indeed it does.

Honestly, both movie and book Sauron's main motivation WAS getting snubbed by the cool kids. "You don't wanna play with me (and my boss), fine, imma be a rebel."

Remember we're talking about Movie Sauron, here.

Book Sauron actually had big plans; he wasn't all 'It is the Age of the Orc, bwahaha'.
    Wise people don't speak of such things...

...ruining it even more. The only way you could have made this worse for Sharp is by implying it also knocked a nosebone into a brain.
    "Get off my lawn! ...on this forum, that just makes people think of Cyclops." - Sharpandpointies
    "...makes me think the Night King just says "Screw the rules, I have magic money" when it comes to physics." -Captain Morgan

Oh my days, I just went watched the fight. That didn't ruin the thread for me. It ruined my year. I'm going to just bookmark that video and send it to anyone who bothers me forever. Screw them. Serves them right.

Yeah, that one.

Okay, so I don't know about the movie. Magical? Probably.

Books, Isildur's sword wasn't HIS sword, it was daddy's, and it got busted up when Sauron squooshed/incinerated dad while dying. And Isildur didn't win the fight, he used the shard to chop the Ring off Sauron's hopefully cooling body after Sauron face-planted.

Elendil(dad)'s sword was passed down to him from the First Age, made by a Dwarf (that's right, not an Elf) what goes by Telchar of the Dwarf colony of Nogrod (one of two featured in the Simarillion out of the seven).

Was it 'magical'?

Yeah, probably as humans would think of it. Stuff made back it the First Age kind of had magical properties. I mean, Telchar didn't throw spells into it or anything, but just by nature of the art of him forging it with mind-blowingly stupendous skill, and the various metals used, it was so awesome humans would consider it 'magic' and Dwarves and Elves would consider it 'Yeah, that's a damn good sword'.

Granted, Telchar made other stuff that found its way into the stories, including the Angrist, a knife so freaking good that one of the better smiths of the First Age decided to keep it, rather than use one of his own weapons (Curufin, aka 'The only one of Fëanor's kids potentially more shitty than their dad').

The fact that Telchar made not one, but two of the named weapons in Tolkien's works is rather impressive.

It had to happen. If it wasn't going back for that fight, it was going to be something else. "Snot King's Sword" is mentioned below.

For Sharp, I don't even think that Sauron is a candidate for a top 5 worst things list for LotR.
    Tidal snot army is probably one of those top five, I'm thinking. But putting that much thought into what I hated most hurts my brain.

Honestly, both movie and book Sauron's main motivation WAS getting snubbed by the cool kids. "You don't wanna play with me (and my boss), fine, imma be a rebel."
    Being fair, Book Sauron was more of the 'I have really good ideas to increase efficiency. Why won't anyone listen?' motivation. Basically, he wanted to make all of the trains run on time, if you get my drift.

Morgoth was the 'I want everything, and if I can't have it I'll pee all over it, hahaha' kind of villain.

...ruining it even more. The only way you could have made this worse for Sharp is by implying it also knocked a nosebone into a brain.
    Ah, CoR knows my feelings on that. ^_^

Oh my days, I just went watched the fight. That didn't ruin the thread for me. It ruined my year. I'm going to just bookmark that video and send it to anyone who bothers me forever. Screw them. Serves them right.
    You didn't like Galadriel going plutonium before Sauron did his 'endlessly repeating' meme disappearance?
    Last edited by Sharpandpointies; 02-04-2020 at 01:08 PM.
    Why are we here?