View Poll Results: Retirement, Yes or No.

Voters
54. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

16 29.63%
  • No

38 70.37%
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

I voted resoundingly no. It is one of my chief criticisms of KINGDOM COME (outside of the obvious WW misstep)

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    But for "proper" Superman, I don't think retirement fits.

And I agree with Superduperman too. If Clark's powers started to drop, if he physically couldn't be Superman anymore, he wouldn't strut up to Darkseid just to prove he still can. Eventually he'd accept his weakened state and act accordingly. But there's other ways to help; leading the heroic community from the back lines, buying the Planet and fighting crime that way, whatever. If Clark couldn't be Superman anymore for some reason, he wouldn't quit the fight, he'd just change tactics.
    Absolutely. (talking about Ascended's point here, Clark would never retire)

Even if he were to lose his powers or feel unfit to be Superman anymore and "retire" ("Whatever Happened To The Man Of Tomorrow?") a week later he'd be looking for a way to help again because he can't sit by watching people get hurt.

As long as he draws breath, that's where his instinct is.
    Last edited by JAK; 02-09-2020 at 04:33 PM.
    Hear my new CD "Love The World Away", available on iTunes, Google Music, Spotify, Shazam, and Amazon: https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B01N5XYV..._waESybX1C0RXK via @amazon
    www.jamiekelleymusic.com
    TV interview here: https://snjtoday.com/snj-today-hotline-jamie-kelley/

Father Son Kamehameha < Kuwagaton's Avatar

Superman adventures #11 and #12 was such a cool story on the general idea of his ability failing.
    Welcome or welcome back! Please check out the updated
    CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

Retire? No. It's not like he can just choose to not care that people need him. I think he could take a step back if, say, Jon stepped up and became Superman and he'd just do what he could as some other identity or just on the side, but he'd still be out there doing things. It's just that he wouldn't need to be the guy answering JLA calls or stopping would-be conquerors with their sights on Earth. He'd let the current Superman do that, pitch in if he's needed, but otherwise just help those who need him-- likely those that Superman couldn't strictly BECAUSE he's doing JLA stuff.

NuDoomsday (Noomsday?) attacking Metropolis? Focus on getting everyone to safety while the younger, possibly more vital Superman holds him off, then join in the fight. That sort of thing.

But even then, I imagine it'd be very hard for him to really step back and the only real circumstance I can see is if his son not only grew up and became Superman but proved he was just as strong as himself (thus alleviating the fear that maybe he'll get himself killed), and again he'd still find ways to help out.

tl;dr

No, not really. Clark is always going to do his best to help others.

Absolutely not.

Barring some exploratory AU versions, the main idea of Superman is that he is uniquely suited for this role. No one else can or will fill his shoes.

Clark will never retire, for one of two reasons, IMO:

1) He's never going to retire because his abilities are never going to age downward, he'll just keep getting more and more powerful as time goes on.

2) He's also never going to retire because at some point in the future he's going to die in the line of duty. Someone or something will kill him but not before Clark saves someone one last time.

There is no retirement for Clark. This is his chosen passion, and he will do it until the day he dies or becomes one with the multiverse.

Savior of the Universe Flash Gordon's Avatar

I think it's important to remember that being a hero isn't a career. We think of "jobs" in a capitalist way but "Superman" is not a job title- it is just a name that people call a flying man who doesnt give up on them. That name can't be passed on or resigned from- it is who Kal-El is. A man who helps. He can't just decide to stop helping people in need, ignore the cries of the hungry and hurting- that isn't who he is.

Quote Originally Posted by Stanlos View Post
    I voted resoundingly no. It is one of my chief criticisms of KINGDOM COME (outside of the obvious WW misstep)
    Even then it was a matter of stepping back and letting others take over his position. He waited until people needed him... sort of. he didn't LIKE the people who were acting as his successors, but he let them take over for him.

In the main comics he's often acted as a mentor. Superboy, Supergirl, Natasha Irons... LIVEWIRE!! Yeah, he's happy to help others learn to be better heroes. I can easily see him acting as a teacher in his later years even if he could act as hero, just because he knows that others won't be able to take over if he does the work for them.

I'm at least a C-Lister! exile001's Avatar

I never seeing him hanging up the cape, not totally at least.

Clark Kent/Kal-El is a good person, and Superman is an extension of that. He puts on a fancy costume but sees himself akin to a police officer or fire fighter. While in the future he may not wear the cape, if he still has any power he'll help where he can.

A retired fire fighter sees a building on fire, he/she will still do something to help, right? Even if it's just surveying the scene, being there while others have called the fire dept.

When/if he's older, his power diminished, I'm sure there'd still be the odd "it felt like a gust of wind carried me from the burning building" even if Superman was nowhere to be seen. And you know he'd give a warm smile and a wink while doing it.
    "Has Sariel summoned you here, Azrael? Have you come to witness the miracle of your brethren arriving on Earth?"

"I WILL MIX THE ASHES OF YOUR BONES WITH SALT AND USE THEM TO ENSURE THE EARTH THE TEMPLARS TILLED NEVER BEARS FRUIT AGAIN!"

"*sigh* I hoped it was for the miracle."

Dan Watters' Azrael was incredible, a constant delight and perhaps too good for this world (but not the Forth). For the love of St. Dumas, DC, give us more!!!

Swiss army nerd

As many have said already, as long as he can help, Clark will help to the best of his ability. If he has powers, he'll be using his powers to help, like he does now. If he doesn't have them, he'll be a volunteer, he'll be reporting on big issues, he'll be climbing trees to get cats. Clark helps. Whenever, wherever, however he can. Always.

Yes, I think Superman could just disappear and not intervene in human affairs anymore. Let the other Super Heroes carry the load for a while. After all he got killed fighting for humanity. Maybe Clark realises it’s all very subjective and humans should work things out themselves? In any case, Superman has been worn out in his mission. When does Kal-el get his time? Did his dad stay on Earth and look after humans? Retiring looks like a sensible option.

Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

No, especially when he's immortal or slow-aging.

He'll let others take the job if he's incapable though. He'll do that. He'll prioritize humanity's safety than ego.