Incredible Member

Default Is Zero Month Flash Still Canon?

Hey guys, so I remember the New 52 did a Zero Month where they had one issue retellings of origin stories for heroes. one of those was the Flash and detailed his new origin with his mom and dad breaking up because of some dude named Frye before his mom gets killed. Then it has him wake up and run to Africa. I was just wondering, is this new Rebirth story I saw in stores - Flash: Year One - decanonizing that story or is it like Batman Zero Year where it kind of incorporated the Zero Month story into its background? Aside from that, how much of the New 52 Flash run is still canon in Rebirth?

I don't think it's exact canon anymore...I'm pretty sure it's not the first time Barry and Iris met anymore, or kissed.

BANNED

Flash Year 1 is the new origin. Rebirth injected some old history and costumes back in, well at least pre Barry Iris marriage in.

Anyway 5G Will change more things so this is soon moot.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Drexelhand View Post
    Hey guys, so I remember the New 52 did a Zero Month where they had one issue retellings of origin stories for heroes. one of those was the Flash and detailed his new origin with his mom and dad breaking up because of some dude named Frye before his mom gets killed. Then it has him wake up and run to Africa. I was just wondering, is this new Rebirth story I saw in stores - Flash: Year One - decanonizing that story or is it like Batman Zero Year where it kind of incorporated the Zero Month story into its background?
    The framing sequence around Flash: Year One, in the issue just before the first chapter and the backup story after the final chapter, has Steadfast using his Still Force powers to show Barry Allen his "true past", that he had forgotten - "Time on this world has been manipulated".

Aside from that, how much of the New 52 Flash run is still canon in Rebirth?
    Still canon:

Grodd wanting to control the Speed Force
    The Rogues getting powers and new costumes
    Turbine
    The Rogues fighting against Grodd
    Daniel West become Reverse-Flash, dying in the Suicide Squad
    Wallace West believing Daniel to be his uncle
    Wallace West getting super speed
    Wallace meeting the "ghost" of his future self
    Henry Allen being alive, released from prison, cleared of all charges
    The Rogues helping Flash defeat The Riddler

Altered:

Eobard Thawne's New 52 origin/backstory is gone
    Eobard Thawne is once again the original Reverse-Flash
    Reverse-Flash's origin/backstory is now based on the pre-Flashpoint iteration
    Thawne and Barry have fought several times over the years (at one point Thawne wore his New 52 suit)
    Barry now remembers creating the Flashpoint
    The original Cosmic Treadmill, created years ago by Barry, is also back
    Golden Glider was a Rogue before getting her New 52 powers
    The Top appears to have been reverted to the pre-Flashpoint iteration

How is the Treadmill back? I read Crisis on Infinite Earths recently, and Wally mentioned at the end that it was destroyed. As such it cannot be the same one from the old continuity. Was it already rebuilt in 2009-2011?
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Quote Originally Posted by Lee View Post
    Barry now remembers creating the Flashpoint
    I thought he always remembered Flashpoint? I thought it was pre-52 that he forgot?

I could've sworn he remembered trying to save his mom, breaking history, and then fixing it. But he wasn't aware that when he "fixed" history everything got rebooted into the New52.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

The Fastest Post Alive! Buried Alien's Avatar

Does Barry now remember his original, Silver/Bronze Age past?

Buried Alien (The Fastest Post Alive!)
    Buried Alien - THE FASTEST POST ALIVE!

First CBR Appearance (Historical): November, 1996

First CBR Appearance (Modern): April, 2014

The Fastest Post Alive! Buried Alien's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    How is the Treadmill back? I read Crisis on Infinite Earths recently, and Wally mentioned at the end that it was destroyed. As such it cannot be the same one from the old continuity. Was it already rebuilt in 2009-2011?
    I think the Cosmic Treadmill has been rebuilt several times since COIE.

Buried Alien (The Fastest Post Alive!)
    Buried Alien - THE FASTEST POST ALIVE!

First CBR Appearance (Historical): November, 1996

First CBR Appearance (Modern): April, 2014

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Lee View Post
    The framing sequence around Flash: Year One, in the issue just before the first chapter and the backup story after the final chapter, has Steadfast using his Still Force powers to show Barry Allen his "true past", that he had forgotten - "Time on this world has been manipulated".
    So pretty much, everything in the New 52 is canon except for the Zero Year issue, which is a fake past? Or is it a past that gets overwritten by the events of Rebirth? Like how Superman never dated Wonder Woman now and how parts of Zero Year moved up in Batman's timeline to preserve Duke Thomas' age.

Hey Baby--Wha's Happ'nin? HandofPrometheus's Avatar

Is any Zero year content canon?

Quote Originally Posted by HandofPrometheus View Post
    Is any Zero year content canon?
    I think King referenced Zero Year, but vaguely.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    It appeared in The Return of Barry Allen, Zoom's origin, Flashpoint etc. According to Barry, the Cosmic Treadmill in The Button is the same Cosmic Treadmill from Flashpoint.

The New 52 had a large treadmill built by Dr. Elias to siphon excess Speed Force energy and store it in battery cells. Before that Dr. Elias built a smaller treadmill to study Flash's powers - Barry commented "Unless this is some sorta 'cosmic' treadmill... all you're gonna end up with is spare parts."

Quote Originally Posted by Buried Alien View Post
    Does Barry now remember his original, Silver/Bronze Age past?
    He's had flashes of his death in COIE that he didn't understand, and he saw the Silver Age formation of the Justice League in hypertime during The Button (he commented that that wasn't how it happened). Apart from those glimpses, no. Iris has had vague recollections of her and Barry being married in the previous timeline, but Barry has no idea.

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    I thought he always remembered Flashpoint? I thought it was pre-52 that he forgot?

I could've sworn he remembered trying to save his mom, breaking history, and then fixing it. But he wasn't aware that when he "fixed" history everything got rebooted into the New52.
    At the end of Flashpoint #5 his memories are fading, but he still remembers the time he spent with his mom. New 52 treated it like he didn't remember anything about it. I believe Manapul/Buccellato said as much at some point. In DC Universe: Rebirth and the Flash: Rebirth one-shot, Wally has to tell Barry about Flashpoint.

Yeah, Wally and Bart are the only ones who remember everything, I think. And that's due to both coming back in Rebirth, having been replaced in New 52 by new characters (Wallace and Bar-Torr).
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Astonishing Member

Wally didn't remember everything to begin with. He had a jumble of pre-Flashpoint memories and New 52 (his time as Kid Flash with the "Titans Hunt" Teen Titans) memories.

Bart remembers everything pre-Flashpoint and doesn't have a second set of memories.

So pretty much, everything in the New 52 is canon except for the Zero Year issue, which is a fake past? Or is it a past that gets overwritten by the events of Rebirth? Like how Superman never dated Wonder Woman now and how parts of Zero Year moved up in Batman's timeline to preserve Duke Thomas' age.
    #0 and #25 don't seem to fit into Flash: Year One's continuity.

The broad strokes of the New 52 series still counts, but much of the Eobard Thawne arc has been overwritten. In current continuity, that wasn't their first battle and Thawne's New 52 origin and powers have been negated. Same possibly applies to The Top. I'm sure there are other bits and pieces that have been negated. Like Iris and Barry having only been on one date, #8 being Barry's first time in the Speed Force, etc.

Long story short, everything in Flash has been defaulted back to 2010 Geoff Johns Flash again. All Rogues regained their ex-origins and characterizations (except for Weather Wizard but Williamson seems to have changed Marco's origins closer to Johns one too), Manapul plots are mostly dropped and Barry's got a brand new origin. New 52 stories happened in an alternate manner to fit in with the current continuity.

It seems this is going to be one of the 5G plots too.
    Last edited by Waterfall; 02-06-2020 at 10:09 AM.