Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Filming's about to start, some set and wardrobe pics have leaked.

No signs of Ford in the costume yet, there's a pic of him in a bar in England though.

Some of the set/wardbrobe pics seem to suggest a partial World War II setting, strangely, despite Harrison Ford's age probably meaning this would be more likely set in the 60s/70s.

Could there perhaps be a flashback with Disney/Lucasfilm using some of the de-aging CG technology we've seen in various Marvel films and Rise of Skywalker/Mandalorian being used briefly for Indy? It's still a bit hit or miss although it's gotten better since the old X-men Last stand days.....
    Last edited by ChrisIII; 06-06-2021 at 10:27 AM.
    chrism227.wordpress.com Info and opinions on a variety of interests.

https://twitter.com/chrisprtsmouth

https://twitter.com/IndianaJones_ch/...84794259566594

Ford in costume (although with covid mask). Pretty sure that's Kathleen Kennedy next to him.

-Heavy sigh.- The studios and production companies can’t help themselves, can they? And I can’t really excuse Ford, either. It’s just a small thing, but I wish they’d quit trying to recapture the lightning in a bottle that was Raiders. They’re batting way under .500 with all the sequels at this point, once you factor in the TV show and TV movie. Why not just accept they had a fantastic movie, Raiders, one sequel 30 years ago, Last Crusade, that was pretty good, and let it go? Why is there this need to try to recapture something from so long ago?
    Last edited by Brian B; 06-07-2021 at 08:31 PM.

4K set released today. Some people are a bit upset since there's been a few more minor cosmetic changes to the films supposedly-the light where Indy and Marion are strapped to at the end of Raiders is re-lit after the Ark shuts down all the other lights, and some visible wires during the Crusade boat chase have been removed.

Previous box sets removed some minor effects errors and Willie's stutter in TOD when she's trying to plead with Indy for her life.

Extraordinary Member Captain Craig's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Brian B View Post
    -Heavy sigh.- The studios and production companies can’t help themselves, can they? And I can’t really excuse Ford, either. It’s just a small thing, but I wish they’d quit trying to recapture the lightning in a bottle that was Raiders. They’re batting way under .500 with all the sequels at this point, once you factor in the TV show and TV movie. Why not just accept they had a fantastic movie, Raiders, one sequel 30 years ago, Last Crusade, that was pretty good, and let it go? Why is there this need to try to recapture something from so long ago?
    I disagree with this whole post.

Looking forward to Indy V
    "Freedom is the right of all sentient beings" - Optimus Prime

Toby Jones has joined the cast. Also looks like my guesses about a possible Cg'd younger Indy might've been right, as some scenes show Ford with dots on his face.

After watching Raiders, noticed something about the Well of the Souls-part of it is already excavated near the airfield....all the Nazis would have had to do was deal with the mummies and break down a wall in the opposite direction Indy and Marion went and they'd have the ark, so Belloq was half right about an "Antechamber".

Antonio Banderas has now joined the cast. Wonder if he'll have the partner/occasional comic relief role filled by Rhys-Davies and others in the past, or do more of the action.

Prop and filming photos also hint at a 1969 setting, which makes sense. What worries me a bit is that it includes an Apollo 11 parade. Naturally of course the space race was a big part of the 60s and 70s, but after Indiana Jones IV stuff like that doesn't generally mix well with Indy....

Extraordinary Member thwhtGuardian's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisIII View Post
    Antonio Banderas has now joined the cast. Wonder if he'll have the partner/occasional comic relief role filled by Rhys-Davies and others in the past, or do more of the action.

Prop and filming photos also hint at a 1969 setting, which makes sense. What worries me a bit is that it includes an Apollo 11 parade. Naturally of course the space race was a big part of the 60s and 70s, but after Indiana Jones IV stuff like that doesn't generally mix well with Indy....
    I never got the hate for the aliens, they don't seem any more fantastical than the arc of the covenant, weird Hindu stones or the Holy Grail.

Ultimate Member

Well the Holy Grail thing was different in that a part of Indy seemed to view it as all a bunch of superstition, however then by the end there's another part of him that seemed to really believe in it, to many the alien bits were really stretching things...

There's a scene in Last Crusade where Indy and Marcus are at his father's house where Indy seems somewhat shaken by the possibility that the grail might exist, although that might be due to the character's complicated personal history with the artifact.

He does seem a bit more skeptical about the Ark at first, and even is kind of smug when it initially appears that all that's inside is sand or crumbled tablets. However then he's genuinely frightened when things start to get weird.

He also dismisses Spalko's belief in the skull as "Saucer men from Mars?" until he gazes into it.

Indy's initial interest in the Sankara stones seems to be greed, but his priorities immediately change when he discovers the village's stories are definitely true (although it's obvious from the Dinner he suspects Chatter Lal is not being sincere).
    Last edited by ChrisIII; 07-16-2021 at 05:52 AM.

Extraordinary Member thwhtGuardian's Avatar

There's a scene in Last Crusade where Indy and Marcus are at his father's house where Indy seems somewhat shaken by the possibility that the grail might exist, although that might be due to the character's complicated personal history with the artifact.

He does seem a bit more skeptical about the Ark at first, and even is kind of smug when it initially appears that all that's inside is sand or crumbled tablets. However then he's genuinely frightened when things start to get weird.

He also dismisses Spalko's belief in the skull as "Saucer men from Mars?" until he gazes into it.

Indy's initial interest in the Sankara stones seems to be greed, but his priorities immediately change when he discovers the village's stories are definitely true (although it's obvious from the Dinner he suspects Chatter Lal is not being sincere).
    He was smug about the ark when first introduced to the idea by the feds, but when it came to actually opening it he was all in telling Marian not to open her eyes no matter what. It's the standard in all of them, skeptic until he sees otherwise. The only way I can see aliens being seen as more of a stretch is if you're religious as then things like the ark and the grail are already believable to you...but if you're of the mind that those are fictional items then they are no more real than aliens.

Indy does give a slight smile when Belloq and Dietrich seem to find nothing but dust (Toht's even somewhat more amused, although for different reasons).

There is a rumor that they will sort of "write off" Mutt as serving in Vietnam.

Quote Originally Posted by thwhtGuardian View Post
    He was smug about the ark when first introduced to the idea by the feds, but when it came to actually opening it he was all in telling Marian not to open her eyes no matter what. It's the standard in all of them, skeptic until he sees otherwise. The only way I can see aliens being seen as more of a stretch is if you're religious as then things like the ark and the grail are already believable to you...but if you're of the mind that those are fictional items then they are no more real than aliens.
    Basically the percent of Americans who identify as religious has been going down over time, since the 1980s, and other beliefs such as beliefs in aliens has been going up. Statistics I just looked up showed that about 65% of Americans believe in aliens and around 65% identify as Christians. No one knows if its the same 65% sharing these beliefs or not. Its got to be some overlap of course. Anyway, your assertion seems right in line with current culture, is my point.

In the past, like around the time Raiders came out, and through the time of Last Crusade, the number of people in the U.S. identifying as Christians was more like 80-90 percent and was way higher than the belief in aliens at the time. So I can see traditionalists who watched the movies as they came out might be skeptical of aliens in the franchise, since thats not traditionally their thing.
    Every day is a gift, not a given right.

Extraordinary Member Captain Craig's Avatar

There is a rumor that they will sort of "write off" Mutt as serving in Vietnam.
    I'd not seen that. Very plausible though, easy 'out' for the writers.

Having seen Peanut Butter Falcon though I'm willing to give Shia a second chance. Afterall, Robert Downey Jr got one, that worked out fairly well.
    "Freedom is the right of all sentient beings" - Optimus Prime