Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default You Choose a Mentor

You get to choose and study with a mentor for one year. The mentor can be from any fictional universe.

• You are given a 19-year-old human body that matches your ideal self-image. You are given perfect health, Olympic-level stats and conditioning, and an I.Q. of 200 (equivalent to Christopher Langan). You get fluency in a foreign language related to your study.

• Your mentor may not imbue you with super-powers, but they can potentially "teach" you powers. So, Dr. Strange could teach you astral projection (if you can learn), Iron Fist could teach extreme martial arts (based upon your ability to learn), etc.

• Your mentor is well-disposed towards you, within the framework of their normal attitudes and personality.

Scenario #1: Your teacher has maximum power level of (roughly) Classic Dr. Strange or Pre-Crisis Karate Kid.

Scenario #2: You can choose a teacher even from among cosmic entities, but they can still only "teach" you, not imbue or transfigure you. Your answer here need not be any different from Scenario #1. (For all we know, cosmic entities could make for much worse teachers than other human beings.)

When your year is up:

• You may return to this universe with your knowledge/powers or stay in that other verse.

• You get to keep the new body (and heightened I.Q.), and if you return, nobody here notices anything different about your appearance.

• No time passes here while you're studying.

With whom do you spend your year abroad?
    Last edited by Shai-Hulud; 02-04-2020 at 04:38 PM.

The Ancient One. He’s no more powerful than Stephen really, but Strange doesn’t have feats of teaching anyone to Strange’s level, whereas The Ancient One definitely does. So he’s the better teacher.

Now I know the way Marvel magic works, there’s a certain degree of aptitude required, a certain amount of spells that rely on the caster’s inner power etc. But even a little magic is worth learning.

Quote Originally Posted by Beadle View Post
    The Ancient One. He’s no more powerful than Stephen really, but Strange doesn’t have feats of teaching anyone to Strange’s level, whereas The Ancient One definitely does. So he’s the better teacher.

Now I know the way Marvel magic works, there’s a certain degree of aptitude required, a certain amount of spells that rely on the caster’s inner power etc. But even a little magic is worth learning.
    Astral projection, telepathy, mesmerism, perhaps some healing...?

Yes, good stuff.

Rumbles Limbo Champion big_adventure's Avatar

Reed Richards.

Learning with him for a year and I'd have nanotech, flash level speed, unstable molecules, teleportation, time travel, etc. It's like magic but better. :-)
    "But... But I want to be a big karate cyborg... ;_;" - Nik Hasta
    "Get off my lawn! ...on this forum, that just makes people think of Cyclops." - Sharpandpointies
    "...makes me think the Night King just says "Screw the rules, I have magic money" when it comes to physics." -Captain Morgan

Quote Originally Posted by big_adventure View Post
    Reed Richards.

Learning with him for a year and I'd have nanotech, flash level speed, unstable molecules, teleportation, time travel, etc. It's like magic but better. :-)
    You're given an IQ boost to two hundred, and Olympic level stamina, so you have a running start as his apprentice.

Seriously, though, Reed has got to have some kind of hypo-learning machine lying around that lets you "absorb" textbooks and stuff.

Aenea, from Hyperion. She is, quite literally "The One Who Teaches".

From her teachings and gifts, a new chapter in Human enlightenment and peace will spring forth.
    "At the end of the day, Arby is a pretty prolific poster proposing a plurality of proper posts for us."
    - big_adventure

Honestly, i’d just go w. Frank Castle.
    I already have 20+ years Military experience, along w. the aches and pains that entails so turning back the clock would be nice. Frank would teach me the most “real world” skills to compliment that time.

Quote Originally Posted by Riv86672 View Post
    Honestly, i’d just go w. Frank Castle.
    I already have 20+ years Military experience, along w. the aches and pains that entails so turning back the clock would be nice. Frank would teach me the most “real world” skills to compliment that time.
    He'd take you on ops as "learning exercises." Frank would teach you, but he's not the guy to sit still and take a year off.

You'd show up, he'd make a quick appraisal of your abilities (quicker and more accurate than anyone in our world), and then he'd say, "Let's roll."

It'd be a memorable year, traveling round the country in a battle van and waging war against drug cartels. Of whom there are no short supply.
    Last edited by Shai-Hulud; 02-04-2020 at 05:13 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Shai-Hulud View Post
    He'd take you on ops as "learning exercises." Frank would teach you, but he's not the guy to sit still and take a year off.

You'd show up, he'd make a quick appraisal of your abilities (quicker and more accurate than anyone in our world), and then he'd say, "Let's roll."

It'd be a memorable year, traveling round the country in a battle van and waging war against drug cartels. Of whom there are no short supply.
    I’m A-OK w. OJT.

Reed Richards.

If I'm lucky and he's available then I'd sure choose him, you convinced me why he's a teacher I'd want to be in his tutelage.

But I'll either go with Bruce Wayne or Tony Stark, I could use learning expert machine engineering, fighting, and skills to make money that helps me find my footing even if I experience the difficulty of going bankrupt one day.
    TRUTH, JUSTICE, HOPE
    That is, the heritage of the Kryptonian Warrior: Kal-El, son of Jor-El
    You like Gameboy and NDS? - My channel
    Looks like I'll have to move past gameplay footage

Astonishing Member Godzilla2099's Avatar

If I can choose a cosmic being as a mentor, easily Highfather

- Immortal Being
    - Communicates with the Source
    - Knowledge of the Life Equation

Quote Originally Posted by Beadle View Post

Those are some great points!
    Reimagined public domain superheroes in a 1945 that never was!
    Read the superhero webcomic THE POWER OF STARDUST!

Rumbles Limbo Champion big_adventure's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by The Arbiter View Post
    Aenea, from Hyperion. She is, quite literally "The One Who Teaches".

From her teachings and gifts, a new chapter in Human enlightenment and peace will spring forth.
    She was literally my first choice - except a lot of her best stuff depends on the virus, and the teacher can't imbue me with anything, so it might lose value .
    "But... But I want to be a big karate cyborg... ;_;" - Nik Hasta
    "Get off my lawn! ...on this forum, that just makes people think of Cyclops." - Sharpandpointies
    "...makes me think the Night King just says "Screw the rules, I have magic money" when it comes to physics." -Captain Morgan

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Speed Force League Unlimited View Post
    If I'm lucky and he's available then I'd sure choose him, you convinced me why he's a teacher I'd want to be in his tutelage.

But I'll either go with Bruce Wayne or Tony Stark, I could use learning expert machine engineering, fighting, and skills to make money that helps me find my footing even if I experience the difficulty of going bankrupt one day.
    The only issue with Bruce Wayne/Stark is that you have to be able to survive the year. There is no such thing as a quiet year with those two. No one quite survives a year with them and comes out normal.

I'm debating one of the teachers from History's Strongest Disciple. If they could turn Kenchi into a great martial artist, what could they do with someone in prime condition? Surviving the training, though, is also questionable.

I think I would choose Mr Terrific or Henry Irons (Steel, DC). I might be able to learn their tech in a year and I have a higher chance of surviving the year.

She was literally my first choice - except a lot of her best stuff depends on the virus, and the teacher can't imbue me with anything, so it might lose value .
    Ack! I missed that part of the OP.

Hmm. Can I bring in a friend and at least give THEM her gifts? I'm trying to look out for humanity in general here!
    "At the end of the day, Arby is a pretty prolific poster proposing a plurality of proper posts for us."
    - big_adventure