26. You may not vote on this poll
  • Justice League

11 42.31%
  • Seven Soldiers of Victory

5 19.23%
  • The Dictomy Is False

10 38.46%
    Boisterously Confused

Default Green Arrow: JLeaguer or Seven Soldier?

So, I was rewatching JLU episode "Patriot Act", which gave us a pastiche of The Seven Soldiers Of Victory. It's a good ep, but it provoked a thought: in any Justice League that features either Batman or Hawkman/woman (and especially one that features both) GA is redundant. Wouldn't he have more impact in a SSV?

Opinion?

Personally I liked what Snyder tried to do but unfortunately got dropped because his series ended, which is that he is much more a free agent who is to keep the justice league in check. I kind of liked that angle, because he still comes to help when needed, he’s still friends with Hal, and him and Dinah are....complicated last I checked but what’s new, while still being his own man/hero.
    "It's fun and it's cool, so that's all that matters. It's what comics are for, Duh."
    Words to live by.

The Seven Soldiers of Victory is a terribly underutilized concept. They had a little over a dozen adventures (15 including the modernization done in Adventure Comics). I love the characters and the team works well with their balance. But nothing has been done with them as a modern concept although Morrison used the name. As a Golden Age team, they definitely took a backseat to the JSA. Would Green Arrow have been thought of primarily with the JL or SSV? Hell, Star Spangled Kid and Stripsey aren't really considered SSVers compared with their modern adventures.

And the two teams deal with two different Ollies and Roys. More dedicated fans will bring up the costuming and hair color details.

Anyway, I am working on a brilliant (my opinion anyway) fanfic for the original SSV. But Ollie is far more a Leaguer than a Soldier.

I think he's more a Leaguer than a Soldier, but he has more potential to grow as a Soldier.
    Ollie doesn't have his own team where he can be a stand out character like Batman has with the Outsiders (or even the League).
    I think it would be fun to try and develop the Seven Soldiers so they become a mainstay of the DCU. I'd definitely try combining the original with Morrison's and see what springs out of that.
    I do think he should still be a honorary JLer, serving as a type of opposition to their more reactionary tendencies.

Always Rakzo

If it depended on me every single piece of history of Green Arrow would be referenced including the Green Arrows of the world and of course, the Seven Soldiers but with the obligatory inclusion of Roy (which sadly won't happen anytime soon since he's dead now for stupid reasons).

He should be in both. He's got a great history with the JL and should be in any modern incarnation of the SSoV.

I Like him in the League, but, it should really be "Green Arrow and The Outsiders" if you ask me.
    Batman - Daredevil

Quote Originally Posted by DevilBat66 View Post
    I Like him in the League, but, it should really be "Green Arrow and The Outsiders" if you ask me.
    I agree.
    Batman's whole spill for leaving the League to form the Outsiders really described Ollie, who had also left the League earlier for pretty much the same reasons.

Most likely someone read the 'Green Arrow leaves the JLA' storyline and thought, 'what if we did that with Batman and gave him his own team?'
    "There's magic in the sound of analog audio." - CNET.

Boisterously Confused

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Stone View Post
    I agree.
    Batman's whole spill for leaving the League to form the Outsiders really described Ollie, who had also left the League earlier for pretty much the same reasons.

Most likely someone read the 'Green Arrow leaves the JLA' storyline and thought, 'what if we did that with Batman and gave him his own team?'
    It always seemed to me that The Outsiders were an attempt at capturing the New Teen Titans magic. In the original series, Batman was only with them for a few years. They brought him back later as the books sales were declining. I just assumed the plan had been from the getgo to use Batman's drawing power to get them off the ground and then send them out on their own.

I think it would be a good idea to push more diverse books in DC. Not everything has to be Batman or Gotham when we talk about vigilantes. I think it would be interesting if Green Arrow would reunite a team inspired in the original SSoV, reinvented in the JLUA, as a team of powerless vigilantes, fighting against superenemies. That could be a book with a lot of action.
    "Never assign to malice what is adequately explained by stupidity or ignorance."

"Great stories will always return to their original forms"

"Nobody is more dangerous than he who imagines himself pure in heart; for his purity, by definition, is unassailable." James Baldwin

Boisterously Confused

Quote Originally Posted by Thor-Ul View Post
    I think it would be a good idea to push more diverse books in DC. Not everything has to be Batman or Gotham when we talk about vigilantes. I think it would be interesting if Green Arrow would reunite a team inspired in the original SSoV, reinvented in the JLUA, as a team of powerless vigilantes, fighting against superenemies. That could be a book with a lot of action.
    Interesting thought. Of whom would your SSoV consist?

Quote Originally Posted by DrNewGod View Post
    Interesting thought. Of whom would your SSoV consist?
    Something like a mix of old and new members, but with the common idea than they lack innate superpowers. They can have power items but not something like a Green Lantern power ring.
    They would be:

Green Arrow
    Vigilante (The cowboy version)
    Shinning Knight (Ystina)
    Manhattan Guardian
    Manhunter (Kate Spencer), a new face and someone in red instead Crimson Avenger.
    Star Spangled Kid (either Sylverster or Courtney)
    And a new TNT or Dynamite.

I suppose the line up ccould improve, but this would be my version.
    "Never assign to malice what is adequately explained by stupidity or ignorance."

"Great stories will always return to their original forms"

"Nobody is more dangerous than he who imagines himself pure in heart; for his purity, by definition, is unassailable." James Baldwin

Quote Originally Posted by Thor-Ul View Post
    Something like a mix of old and new members, but with the common idea than they lack innate superpowers. They can have power items but not something like a Green Lantern power ring.
    They would be:

Green Arrow
    Vigilante (The cowboy version)
    Shinning Knight (Ystina)
    Manhattan Guardian
    Manhunter (Kate Spencer), a new face and someone in red instead Crimson Avenger.
    Star Spangled Kid (either Sylverster or Courtney)
    And a new TNT or Dynamite.

I suppose the line up ccould improve, but this would be my version.
    Not bad. Mine would be...

Earth - 0 Modern Incarnation...

Green Arrow
    Vigilante (Cameron Chase)
    The Question
    Huntress
    Manhunter (Kate Spencer)
    Nemesis (Tom Tresser)
    Crimson Avenger (a modern version of Lee Travis)

Earth-2

Golden Age versions of Green Arrow and Speedy
    Star Spangled Kid and Stripesy
    Shining Knight (Sir Justin)
    TNT and Dynamite
    Golden Age version of the Vigilante
    Bulleteer
    The Depression Era version of the Crimson Avenger that debuted 5 issues before Batman

detective-22.jpg

Ollie starting a modern Seven Soldiers. I have to admit the Kate Spencer Manhunter choice is one I love so I'll include her. Vic Sage Question was also on my list because of his relationship with Ollie. Mia Dearden's on the list as Speedy. To keep some of the old 7SV flavor, I'll add Jacki Permberton as Gimmix, and Lee Travis (nu 52 Earth 2) as a newly created Crimson. And for a bad-ass to get on Ollie's bad side, Katarina Armstrong as Spy Smasher.

My turn!

A non-powered, modern Seven Soldiers of Victory:

Green Arrow (Ollie)
    Speedy (Mia)
    Question (Vic)
    Manhunter (Kate)
    Gimmix (Jacqui)
    Crimson (Lee)
    Spy Smasher (Katarina)