Default Horribly Confused: Cassandra Cain Batgirl Trade Paperbacks

Recently got interested in collecting the trades for the Cassandra Cain Batgirl series, but I'm really confused about how to get everything.

Wikipedia lists the following "main" collections: Silent Running, A Knight Alone, Death Wish, Batgirl: Fists of Fury, Robin/Batgirl: Fresh Blood, Kicking Assassins, Destruction's Daughter, Redemption, Silent Knight, To the Death, and Point Blank. However, comparing Silent Running and Silent Knight, it appears that they are copies of the same materials, making it seem like the last three were reprinting the original volumes in a larger format (sadly, it looks like they stopped short of completing the original run, if so).

Also, if a cross referencing of the Batgirl trades, plus the issues contained in "event" story trades is conducted, it looks like Batgirl #15 - 16, 22-23, 25, 30 - 32, 34 - 54, and 57 have never been put in trade paperback form for some odd reason.
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

There was an attempt to reprint the series in 'fatback' collections of 12+ issues a pop, but it fizzled after, the third volume, Point Blank. You're spot on otherwise- a large part of the series has not been collected and what has is largely out of print.

Mighty Member

The fatter Batgirl trades contain all the issues that weren't collected before from 1-37 (Silent Knight, To The Death and Point Blank). These trades include crossovers for Officer Down and Murderer/Fugitive. There is then a gap until War Games (55-57), then Fresh Blood (with Robin, 58-59), Kicking Assassins, and Destruction's Daughter finish out her first run. Redemption collects a mini from a few years later after her post-IC villainous turn in Robin and Teen Titans.
    Last edited by bob.schoonover; 02-05-2020 at 05:38 AM.
    Blue text denotes sarcasm

Yeah, I really hope Horrocks and Garbrych’s runs are collected both are super under rated.
    Books I’m pulling: Justice League Dark, Batman and the, Outsiders, Suicide squad, Daredevil, Tynion’s Batman, X-men, X-force, Marauders, Hellions, X-Factor, Three Jokers, Deceased Dead Planet

Quote Originally Posted by Jody Garland View Post
    There was an attempt to reprint the series in 'fatback' collections of 12+ issues a pop, but it fizzled after, the third volume, Point Blank. You're spot on otherwise- a large part of the series has not been collected and what has is largely out of print.

Business is business and all that, but still, it sucks that neither the original batch of trades or the more complete "fatback" reprints bothered to get everything. Seems kinda fitting in a way that the books would be incomplete, given that Cass has been more or less screwed over by DC (made a villain by executive mandate, phased out of existence before New 52 and Rebirth, was only considered for that recent YA graphic novel she starred in because the author advocated for it, etc.). I can get if they want the Batgirl brand to only be Barbara Gordon, but still, you'd think that the first Batgirl solo series would be important enough to have in complete trade form, at least for historical purposes.
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by WebLurker View Post

Business is business and all that, but still, it sucks that neither the original batch of trades or the more complete "fatback" reprints bothered to get everything. Seems kinda fitting in a way that the books would be incomplete, given that Cass has been more or less screwed over by DC (made a villain by executive mandate, phased out of existence before New 52 and Rebirth, was only considered for that recent YA graphic novel she starred in because the author advocated for it, etc.). I can get if they want the Batgirl brand to only be Barbara Gordon, but still, you'd think that the first Batgirl solo series would be important enough to have in complete trade form, at least for historical purposes.
    If you go back a few pages on the DC Collected page, you'll find the incomplete list of all the orphaned complete collections from DC. It's not just Cass being neglected . . .
    Blue text denotes sarcasm

Quote Originally Posted by bob.schoonover View Post
    If you go back a few pages on the DC Collected page, you'll find the incomplete list of all the orphaned complete collections from DC. It's not just Cass being neglected . . .
    Does seem like Marvel is better about producing complete collections then DC is more often then not.
    (All-New Wolverine #4)