Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by lemonpeace View Post
    So John not playing background for the first time in 30+ odd issues and being portrayed as standing shoulder to shoulder with his fellow leaguers is making them look like idiots, is oppose to Batman in the same issue talking down and over others and ordering them in battle like a pokemon trainer? got it. I guess writers writing their favored character favorably is only good when it's Snyder boosting Hawkgirl and Martian Manhunter's profile, or Geoff Johns recontextualizing the entire universe for the literary equivalent of a blowie for Superman or to absolve Hal Jordan of all his sins and aging.
    ?
    I'm not talking about John. I'm talking about other characters. Superman did nothing more than getting hit and "I'm going to show off... OK after you John". Barry was useless and rude to Wonder Woman who bizarrely took it for granted. You are right about Batman being a pokemon trainer, which is very bad writing by the way, and only got humilated to let John give a more powerful order.
    Also Venditti did Eradicator and Sodam Yat VERY wrong.
    You see, that's why Geoff Johns is a far better writer than Venditti. He knows how to push characters in right ways. And Green Lantern Rebirth and Doomsday Clock are both top sales books. ╮(╯▽╰)╭
    Snyder did a bad job on John and other characters in his JL run. But that doesn't make Venditti's writing good.

Can someone direct me to where Venditti’s favorite lantern is John Stewart? Didn’t he just write all of Hal Jordan & the Green Lantern Corps featuring Harold himself? I’m confused.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Iconic View Post
    Can someone direct me to where Venditti’s favorite lantern is John Stewart? Didn’t he just write all of Hal Jordan & the Green Lantern Corps featuring Harold himself? I’m confused.
    I'm pretty sure he's on record saying his favorite Green Lantern is Hal Jordan.

Anyway, in keeping with the topic, I did take a look at the current issue and...*shrug*. It's okay, I guess? Not great by any stretch, but not horrible. Better than Snyder, I suppose, but that isn't saying much at all. The art was pretty rushed looking in places to me. Overall, a very mediocre comic, which is pretty in keeping with Venditti's work. If the story rises to greater heights, that's good, but I wouldn't be surprised if it stays around this level for the duration of the run.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Vampire Savior View Post
    I'm pretty sure he's on record saying his favorite Green Lantern is Hal Jordan.
    That is the interesting thing. When Venditti took over the GL title from Geoff Johns, he said his favorite Green Lantern is Hal Jordan. As soon as he took over HJGLC, he changed his words. He also said he wanted John to be the corps leader from day one and planned Hal being renegade to make way for John.

Quote Originally Posted by Iconic View Post
    I don't know where you heard that but Hal appeared only one or two panels in many issues of this book (which has his name on the title).
    Last edited by HAN9000; 02-06-2020 at 06:36 AM.

So John not playing background for the first time in 30+ odd issues and being portrayed as standing shoulder to shoulder with his fellow leaguers is making them look like idiots, is oppose to Batman in the same issue talking down and over others and ordering them in battle like a pokemon trainer? got it. I guess writers writing their favored character favorably is only good when it's Snyder boosting Hawkgirl and Martian Manhunter's profile, or Geoff Johns recontextualizing the entire universe for the literary equivalent of a blowie for Superman or to absolve Hal Jordan of all his sins and aging.
    Making John a background player due to not having better ideas for him and aging Hal for no reason and making him a deranged murderer for the sake of shock value is hardly comparable. The former could be corrected much easier than the latter.

I liked the art. Mahnke is a great choice. Not that interested in the actual story since much like with Tynion on Batman, it just seems to be a fill-in run until the next "groundbreaking event that changes everything all over again" starts. Will probably get the trade down the line though.
    Last edited by Johnny; 02-06-2020 at 10:25 AM.

Jealousy blinds people.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Sodam Yat View Post
    Jealousy blinds people.
    It sure does. Glad you learned that sentence although I do hope you comprehended the meaning and didn't show it off in every inappropriate situation like this. Not everyone is intoxicated by dulling teammates to succeed.
    Last edited by HAN9000; 02-07-2020 at 04:56 AM.

I really enjoyed the issue. I've grown weary of threats to the multiverse. A threat to just plain old Earth seems so much more...interesting, I guess.

Quote Originally Posted by JLH View Post
    I really enjoyed the issue. I've grown weary of threats to the multiverse. A threat to just plain old Earth seems so much more...interesting, I guess.
    I’ve been making that point for the last few months in/on different threads/sites.

Honestly, I found this issue kind of boring and too much of a light read. Personally, I wish they'd ditch the whole Big Guns JLA for a while and fill the book with characters like Cyborg, Green Arrow, Black Lighting, Hawkman, Hawkwoman, Vixen, The Atom (Ray Palmer), Zatanna, Black Canary, Elongated Man, and Captain Atom instead.

Quote Originally Posted by HAN9000 View Post
    It sure does. Glad you learned that sentence although I do hope you comprehended the meaning and didn't show it off in every inappropriate situation like this. Not everyone is intoxicated by dulling teammates to succeed.
    No need to worry, I only use that statement sparingly. Certainly, no one is as intoxicated after having a dulling overrated teammate get replaced by other characters

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Sodam Yat View Post
    No need to worry, I only use that statement sparingly. Certainly, no one is as intoxicated after having a dulling overrated teammate get replaced by other characters

I'm sure the place holder is so underrated that only belittling a whole league out of a lousy writer's unethical favor can make him bigger.
    Last edited by HAN9000; 02-10-2020 at 09:25 PM.

Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by HAN9000 View Post
    Not very surprising to me that Venditti is still using the only way he know to push his favourite character John, which is making others look like idiots...
    What surpised me is he is still messing with GL franchise even he doesn't write Green Lantern anymore. Poor Sodam Yat.
    Good. John needs a push and he's not even my favorite Lantern. I'm down for any character not Bat-related to get a push these days. The way DC handles their lines, frankly, they all need it.

This is standard for Justice League stories that star a particular character. They get to shine, everyone else supports and gets a moment here of there. I'm a bit behind on my reading, so I'm admittedly in the dark on this particular case, but at worst it's no different than they've been doing for Bruce for decades now and some love for John is appreciated.

Of all GLs except maybe Simon, John needs the push most, and I'd argue he deserves it a lot more than Simon does.
    Last edited by Robanker; 02-10-2020 at 10:01 PM.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Robanker View Post
    Good. John needs a push and he's not even my favorite Lantern. I'm down for any character not Bat-related to get a push these days. The way DC handles their lines, frankly, they all need it.

This is standard for Justice League stories that star a particular character. They get to shine, everyone else supports and gets a moment here of there. I'm a bit behind on my reading, so I'm admittedly in the dark on this particular case, but at worst it's no different than they've been doing for Bruce for decades now and some love for John is appreciated.

Of all GLs except maybe Simon, John needs the push most, and I'd argue he deserves it a lot more than Simon does.
    Partially agree. DC's done a bad job at managing and protecting their non-Bat characters and franchises. But there's differences between supporting characters and stepping-stones. No doubt DC's been using other characters as latter to push Batman for years. But this is not a method writers should follow. You can't keep damaging characters to star one. If writers do that, it's definitely not Batman that hurt the most.
    In a word, two wrong does not make a right.

BANNED

No one in the comic was damaged.

It's extremely bizarre to me that just because John Stewart had a short talk with Superman and developed some minor strategy, it's like an event for some people. They're either upset about it or super excited it happened. I don't quite understand either take, and I wonder if the response would be the same had...I dunno', Barry Allen done that instead. I'm thinking the people who are excited about this are so starved that it's like something magical happened, and whoever is upset about it is so sensitive, vindictive, and threatened that it's like some great offense was made...but really, not much of note even went on there.