Page 48 of 72 FirstFirst ... 3844454647484950515258 ... LastLast

Pretty solid issue.

Loved the dialogue and the art but as some have said, punches were thrown way too soon.

BANNED

I just can't believe the narrative was afforded some nuance for once--and thank you Sue Storm for not putting up with anything Magneto's been saying. Seriously, Xavier needs to afford him such reproach in the main X-books. It was just cathartic to see that arse get hamster-balled away to be honest (can he just stay in there? Forever? Please?) But I agree with most posters here: what the hell kind of approach where they expecting bringing the guy along? Xavier, Kitty, Wolverine and Ororo would have been a much better line-up.

Both sides definitely need a bit more back and forth, though, on the whole concept of just what's going on; it's good that Storm and Ben seemed to have a hint of it, but I'd love to see that explored a bit more as we go. There doesn't seem to be much love between the teams right now, not even on a personal level. That's curious to me, considering about how aggressively some posters insisted that those past bonds wouldn't be disregarded under this new status-quo, or about how others were just reading 'too much' into whatever aggression they were picking up on in FF/X-Men interaction in HOX #1.

Personally: I'm not surprised this is how it's gone so far. Nor am I surprised at Storm's standoffishness to Ben; he's just human, after all. Why should she bother? (Which, I want to clarify, is just the vibe I get from the overall narrative in the X-books.)

But it would be nice if it does get finally explored further, really dug into and y'know, maybe even resolved to a certain degree. Kitty also seems surprised that Valeria would want to accompany her brother to Krakoa? "But...you're human?" But Shogo's with his mother? And Northstar's husband with him? Yeah, Val's human, but surely it'd be expected she or the rest of the family would want to visit--the gates even allow for that? Was Kitty just (for some reason?) shocked that the two might be close, or...?

Also, can I just say how refreshing it is, not only for people to recognise right away when Reed Richards is wrong--but to actively call him out? No holds barred? I'd actually laugh if the whole thing concluded with everyone just, really coming together to disagree with that man. Like that'd be some real unity there.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by manymade1 View Post
    Pretty solid issue.

Loved the dialogue and the art but as some have said, punches were thrown way too soon.
    Maybe that's a good thing though? Like, it might just serve to 'get it all out of the way' now so the story can go on? (But that's me being way too optimistic.)

Quote Originally Posted by Domino_Dare-Doll View Post
    Maybe that's a good thing though? Like, it might just serve to 'get it all out of the way' now so the story can go on? (But that's me being way too optimistic.)
    Possibly. It's only 4 issues (I think?) so I get that it has to move fast but I would've liked to have seen more interaction between the X-Men and FF. With Doom already being a player, idk how much more of that we'll see.

Quote Originally Posted by Zelena View Post
    It's not that Xavier is unaware of that. So what is it? Blindness?
    Xavier, Magneto and Moira are playing a long-term game. They have information that we readers and other heroes do not have so to win they need several pieces to use on the board this includes Franklin and mutant villains. It is clear that several mutant villains have their own agenda and can or will inevitably turn against Krakoa but as long as they are useful Xavier will keep them on a short leash very close and under surveillance. Moira told Xavier about Sinister but they need him so for now they will stay in the cat and mouse game as long as they need each other while trying to undermine each other's control over their actions on the board.

You may find this strange but it is a very common practice in politics. And heroes and villains working together is not exactly a new concept.

If I remember well the universe where the mutants lived the longest before they were defeated was when Apocalypse and Moira were allies.
    This alone shows how even villains with their strength and intelligence cannot be underestimated if their intention is to win a war that they never won.
    Last edited by Knives; 02-06-2020 at 10:09 AM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by manymade1 View Post
    Possibly. It's only 4 issues (I think?) so I get that it has to move fast but I would've liked to have seen more interaction between the X-Men and FF. With Doom already being a player, idk how much more of that we'll see.
    No, that's what I mean; they get the obligatory arguments out the way so that future interaction is more meaningful, if that makes sense? Like it feels like a typical set up of...ya know those episodes of shows where two families are fighting? And the kids run off and get themselves in danger, so said fighting families have to join forces to save their kids from said danger?

That's what I'm getting from this, if we take Kitty to be the third 'kid' in this scenario (I mean she probably always will be to Ororo, let's be honest.)

So, ya know, they'll probably be with Doom 'till issue #4, in which time the respective teams everyone else may all split up into...converses.

Quote Originally Posted by Woozie View Post
    I know they're Kate's crew. Kate does not need to pull her entire crew to meet with the Fantastic Four. Especially when we know they work autonomously pretty easily. There was zero reason to bring them all there.

If the counter argument is "They had a mission right after." ... then don't schedule a diplomatic meeting right before a marauders rescue, or let your crew handle one issue (that requires the fire power) while you handle the other... which does not.

Yeah that didn't happen how you are selling it. The marauders weren't there as a show of force and we have talk to death about Magneto.

But in reading the over again every time things start to escalate out of control Sue partially to blame

1. Marauders are on the street. She throws up a force field against friends Storm and Wolverine
    1 bubble.jpg

2. In the House. She attacks Magneto who they let inside for talking to Franklin they left in the room
    2 bubble.jpg

3.Outside during the fight,Xavier is talking down Magneto and She was like nah I am turning thing up let's brawl
    3 bubble.jpg

Sue was super mama bear in this situation. Someone needs classes in deescalating stuff every one of those points didn't need to get that way.
    Last edited by Killerbee911; 02-06-2020 at 10:43 AM.

Astonishing Member TooFlyToFail's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Knives View Post
    Please stay focused.

I don't know how the topic deviated to which villain is less bad but this discussion needs to have at least some relation to the topic to continue.

From a practical point of view, it might be better for the boy to stay away from Krakoa. I do not say this based on the fact that I believe that Krakoa is a mistake or that Xavier, Magneto and Moira are wrong. I'm basing my opinion on the fact that Sinister can create several problems if he gets his hands on Franklin's DNA.
    Trust me, I've made this point at least 2x. People ignore that Sinister has power on Krakoa and forget that no one knows he's no long on Xavier's leash.

Astonishing Member TooFlyToFail's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Watkins View Post
    he's a survivor. he's strong enough to persevere.
    That's not what I asked lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Watkins View Post
    it's not nitpicky. the character, literally, started over. and he's been quite consistent. it's never "i just love my people." it's "i'm a bad person who enjoys killing. i'm good at it. i need to put this to use. i can do evil to defend and avenge mutankind." that's who Magneto is and has been since Claremont got ahold of him. when he was headmaster of the school it wasn't a reformation. it was him repaying a debt to charles xavier. he struggled the entire time and organically slid back into his terrorist mode. he's never fully a hero. as a Magneto fan, i'm not out here pretending that he's noble or a hero. he doesn't think in those terms. i don't count the pre-Claremont stories because he hadn't been given an origin at that point. he was a stock character/completely 1-dimensional.
    I disagree strongly: under Claremont's pen, Magneto never has been a sociopath…

Ruthless, conflicted, obstinate, violent… but honestly "I'm a bad person who enjoys killing…"? Really?
    “Strength is the lot of but a few privileged men; but austere perseverance, harsh and continuous, may be employed by the smallest of us and rarely fails of its purpose, for its silent power grows irresistibly greater with time.” Goethe

Quote Originally Posted by Knives View Post
    Xavier, Magneto and Moira are playing a long-term game. They have information that we readers and other heroes do not have so to win they need several pieces to use on the board this includes Franklin and mutant villains. It is clear that several mutant villains have their own agenda and can or will inevitably turn against Krakoa but as long as they are useful Xavier will keep them on a short leash very close and under surveillance. Moira told Xavier about Sinister but they need him so for now they will stay in the cat and mouse game as long as they need each other while trying to undermine each other's control over their actions on the board.

You may find this strange but it is a very common practice in politics. And heroes and villains working together is not exactly a new concept.

If I remember well the universe where the mutants lived the longest before they were defeated was when Apocalypse and Moira were allies.
    This alone shows how even villains with their strength and intelligence cannot be underestimated if their intention is to win a war that they never won.
    For a mission, yes, but the fact there is a lot that is left in the dark doesn't help to understand the motivations.
    The distinction between villains and non-villains has never been more blurred.
    “Strength is the lot of but a few privileged men; but austere perseverance, harsh and continuous, may be employed by the smallest of us and rarely fails of its purpose, for its silent power grows irresistibly greater with time.” Goethe

Quote Originally Posted by Domino_Dare-Doll View Post
    I just can't believe the narrative was afforded some nuance for once--and thank you Sue Storm for not putting up with anything Magneto's been saying. Seriously, Xavier needs to afford him such reproach in the main X-books. It was just cathartic to see that arse get hamster-balled away to be honest (can he just stay in there? Forever? Please?) But I agree with most posters here: what the hell kind of approach where they expecting bringing the guy along? Xavier, Kitty, Wolverine and Ororo would have been a much better line-up.

Both sides definitely need a bit more back and forth, though, on the whole concept of just what's going on; it's good that Storm and Ben seemed to have a hint of it, but I'd love to see that explored a bit more as we go. There doesn't seem to be much love between the teams right now, not even on a personal level. That's curious to me, considering about how aggressively some posters insisted that those past bonds wouldn't be disregarded under this new status-quo, or about how others were just reading 'too much' into whatever aggression they were picking up on in FF/X-Men interaction in HOX #1.

Personally: I'm not surprised this is how it's gone so far. Nor am I surprised at Storm's standoffishness to Ben; he's just human, after all. Why should she bother? (Which, I want to clarify, is just the vibe I get from the overall narrative in the X-books.)

But it would be nice if it does get finally explored further, really dug into and y'know, maybe even resolved to a certain degree. Kitty also seems surprised that Valeria would want to accompany her brother to Krakoa? "But...you're human?" But Shogo's with his mother? And Northstar's husband with him? Yeah, Val's human, but surely it'd be expected she or the rest of the family would want to visit--the gates even allow for that? Was Kitty just (for some reason?) shocked that the two might be close, or...?

Also, can I just say how refreshing it is, not only for people to recognise right away when Reed Richards is wrong--but to actively call him out? No holds barred? I'd actually laugh if the whole thing concluded with everyone just, really coming together to disagree with that man. Like that'd be some real unity there.
    Valeria is very curious, she is smarter than her father. I'm not surprised she want to visit Krakoa.

humans on krakoa are a mistery and will see more of it on excalibur and X-factor

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Killerbee911 View Post
    Yeah that didn't happen how you are selling it. The marauders weren't there as a show of force and we have talk to death about Magneto.

But in reading the over again every time things start to escalate out of control Sue partially to blame

1. Marauders are on the street. She throws up a force field against friends Storm and Wolverine
    1 bubble.jpg

2. In the House. She attacks Magneto who they let inside for talking to Franklin they left in the room
    2 bubble.jpg

3.Outside during the fight,Xavier is talking down Magneto and She was like nah I am turning thing up let's brawl
    3 bubble.jpg

Sue was super mama bear in this situation. Someone needs classes in deescalating stuff every one of those points didn't need to get that way.
    Exactly....

I don't understand why people are justifying Sue Richards response as ok. When she is just as much to blame as the Charles and Erik showing up unannounced trying to start ****.

Quote Originally Posted by Zelena View Post
    I disagree strongly: under Claremont's pen, Magneto never has been a sociopath…

Ruthless, conflicted, obstinate, violent… but honestly "I'm a bad person who enjoys killing…"? Really?
    trauma induced sociopathy - he's seen so much violence that it has warped him. he wants peace but is a war time guy at heart. maybe "enjoying" was the wrong term. what i mean to say is that he's skilled at killing mutantkind's enemies. and he has accepted that role time and time again. that's the consistent thread in his continuity.

Quote Originally Posted by spirit2011 View Post
    Valeria is very curious, she is smarter than her father. I'm not surprised she want to visit Krakoa.

humans on krakoa are a mistery and will see more of it on excalibur and X-factor
    they would be fools to allow Valeria passage. she has already been used by Doom once to spy on people once. i am expecting her to "fix" franklin's powers at some point though.