Page 1 of 72 123451151 ... LastLast
    Mighty Member

Default X-MEN/FF #1 REVIEW 2.0 (Spoilers)

Let's try this again:

My thoughts on the artwork is that Dodson is great. The characters look distinct and more importantly the focus character of Superboy-Prime, I mean, Franklin Richards doesn't look like a cheap Sam Alexander knockoff like he does in the main book. The use of shadows and silhouettes are great for dramatic effect.

It's interesting to see the characterization of Franklin and how he feels pressured to live up to his family legacy. I'm happy his Power Pack days of dreaming the future are present, but it does remind me of a time where he would need to be creative with his lack of powers in order to be an effective hero. It makes me miss the days he didn't act like a mad god.

But his angst over his powers, dear Lord, I hope the Zydarsky Character Development (TM) kicks in soon because I overall hated how Slott characterizes him as a generic emo teenager. I teach for a living. I know what delusional looks like. I will give Zydarsky credit because he did what I wanted him to do and treat Franklin's power loss, or at least relate it, to a sports injury. I just wish the main book.

You know, Charles and Erik, maybe voicing your concern for mutant powers early in the convo would prevent a fight from breaking out.

Valeria is no longer useless.

You know the book is good when 99% of my criticism is applied to the main book. Go buy this.

I really enjoyed this issue. The dialogue was the strongest I've seen Zdarsky do.

The Ben / Franklin moment in the cafeteria was the highlight for me: "It's funny that Dad is the smartest there is and can solve all the universe problem's... except ours"

Not a fan of the art tho. That Cyclops panel was cringeworthy.

I'm up for the next issues. Can't wait to see the discussion regarding FR's mutant heritage develop.

My only issue with this was how fast everyone jumped at each other's throats, immediately using their powers on one another.

BANNED

this issue was great, not a single line of wasted or uninteresting dialogue, tons of difrent threads and opinions, sue is a badass

I kinda didn`t like it.
    I am completely on F4 side as parents in this situation. I wouldn`t trust Xavier here either.

X-Men felt forced here and not logical. Who the hell is taking Magneto and Wolverine to a peaceful mission? It felt like a provocation.

Xavier and Kitty should have come together to invite Franklin. No other X characters were needed. It should have been just a peaceful invitation so Franklin can come and see what Krakoa is whenever he wants. Not more than this.

For me X-Men were just a stupid kidnappers here.
    Last edited by Purplevit; 02-05-2020 at 07:51 AM.

they should have sent Daken.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Watkins View Post
    Well THAT just got me aroused. haha

Mighty Member

Laura would have been a better choice. Despite being raised a killer and raised without social skills, she was trusted enough to babysit the Richards kids.

LOL
    Or Apocalypse. I am imaging Apoc staying near F4 front door telling that he cares about all his children.
    Last edited by Purplevit; 02-05-2020 at 07:56 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Purplevit View Post
    I kinda didn`t like it.
    I am completely on F4 side as parents in this situation. I wouldn`t trust Xavier here either.

X-Men felt forced here and not logical. Who the hell is taking Magneto and Wolverine to a peaceful mission? It felt like a provocation.

Xavier and Kitty should have come together to invite Franklin. No other X characters were needed. It should have been just a peaceful invitation so Franklin can come and see what Krakoa is whenever he wants. Not more then this.

For me X-Men were just a stupid kidnappers here.
    that's because they need to be heels for the action to continue. if they had sent Jean Grey to officially give Franklin free passage to Krakoa (whenever he likes) this would have been a very short issue/series. i have no love for Chip. but i won't outright call it stupid writing. it's just that Charles Xavier was a therapist prior to forming the X-Men. and Magneto is known for making convincing arguments. i don't see either one of them offering themselves as ambassadors on this. it's just poor strategy. the last time someone looking like Professor X showed up it was Onslaught and he kidnapped Franklin. and i doubt that they have any good memories of Magneto.

Quote Originally Posted by Veitha View Post
    My only issue with this was how fast everyone jumped at each other's throats, immediately using their powers on one another.
    Yep. I don't understand why mutants scale the situation so unnecessarily. What do Bishop, Wolverine, Pyro and Magneot do there?

I also don't understand that Sue is the first to attack.

Quote Originally Posted by U.N. Owen View Post
    Laura would have been a better choice. Despite being raised a killer and raised without social skills, she was trusted enough to babysit the Richards kids.
    that's grounds for them to have their children taken away. but, seriously, do they just have a blindspot when it comes to semi-feral clawed characters? they actually gave Wolverine/Logan and official FF uniform.

Quote Originally Posted by U.N. Owen View Post
    Omg I totally forgot about that. That would've been terrific!!! Ambassador Laura.

Mighty Member

I would personally like to believe that Sue doesn't particularly trust Magneto or Professor X. The last time they tried to get their son to join them involved Youngblood's Disease ravaging the Marvel Universe.

that's because they need to be heels for the action to continue. if they had sent Jean Grey to officially give Franklin free passage to Krakoa (whenever he likes) this would have been a very short issue/series. i have no love for Chip. but i won't outright call it stupid writing. it's just that Charles Xavier was a therapist prior to forming the X-Men. and Magneto is known for making convincing arguments. i don't see either one of them offering themselves as ambassadors on this. it's just poor strategy. the last time someone looking like Professor X showed up it was Onslaught and he kidnapped Franklin. and i doubt that they have any good memories of Magneto.
    I understand this. But this conflict don`t work for me. It is not logical, needed or necessary. For me it is ultimately forced.