Page 2 of 72 FirstFirst 1234561252 ... LastLast

Not a fan of it to be honest. They are leaning too deep in the idea that "parents are bad, teenager does teenager things."

I also think Kitty is acting uncharacteristic based on her recent kickass also fueled rage Kate "Don't Call Me Kitty" persona in Marauders.

Reed basically articulated put my point of view when he said that Charles and Magento have an agenda because they could have waited a couple years until he was a legal adult. He's a minor, it may seem unfair but his parents are his guardians and have the final say.
    Reed messed up towards the end though with a classic, good intention and bad execution. He practically trademarked doing that.

The moment between Ben and Franklin was sad, but at the same time a nice moment.

Sue having none of it and was ready to go from onset was the best. She was ready to end some of them lol.

I like Kitty's big sister role, it's really nice to see and I hope we don't have to wait another 30 years for it to happen again...

Storm's diplomatic immunity thing was off to me. What did she think Johnny was gonna do? Burn his nephew? Her stance was more hardened than I thought it would be considering her relationship with the FF.
    Be sure to check out the Invisible Woman appreciation thread!

Astonishing Member useridgoeshere's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Purplevit View Post
    I understand this. But this conflict don`t work for me. It is not logical, needed or necessary. For me it is ultimately forced.
    You're right, it is forced. While we know why it has to happen, I don't think it's a legit tradeoff ... "Well, in order to get a story, you have to accept this intro and move on". No, how about you figure out a different story or a better way to tell it?

It was alright. Though I wish Jean was the one fighting Sue

Quote Originally Posted by Crimz View Post
    Reed basically articulated put my point of view when he said that Charles and Magento have an agenda because they could have waited a couple years until he was a legal adult.
    1) is he really a minor? does the timeline support that? feels like he's been a little kid for a very long time.

2) it's a time sensitive issue because of his powers fading

3) he only seems to be a minor when they need to control him. his father was quite happy to exploit his son's powers to rebuild reality. he's also just fine with Franklin exploring new worlds with only his sister as supervision. if he's old enough to "go to war," he should be old enough to make this decision.

Quote Originally Posted by Purplevit View Post
    I kinda didn`t like it.
    I am completely on F4 side as parents in this situation. I wouldn`t trust Xavier here either.

X-Men felt forced here and not logical. Who the hell is taking Magneto and Wolverine to a peaceful mission? It felt like a provocation.

Xavier and Kitty should have come together to invite Franklin. No other X characters were needed. It should have been just a peaceful invitation so Franklin can come and see what Krakoa is whenever he wants. Not more than this.

For me X-Men were just a stupid kidnappers here.
    The hardcore X-fan in me doesn't want to agree with this but...yeah. The entire time I was reading this I kept thinking "what the hell are you guys doing!?"

I expect that kind of pretentious jackassery from Erik but it felt like every mutant other than Kitty was handling the whole situation VERY poorly. Especially since Ben was totally right. After what happened in Genosha, why should they believe that Krakoa will be any safer for Franklin?

I've always been or two minds on the whole Krakoa thing. On one hand, I do think it's a good idea for the mutants to just say "**** it" and start their solidified nation (....again). But at times, it's made the X-Men's behavior very.... unsettling. Almost cult-like. And nowhere is that more apparent than here: where they clearly think they have more of a right to Franklin's custody than his own parents. Parents who reacted exactly how any parent would if someone was trying to whisk their son off to a foreign country (where he can come and go from but they can't) with a permanent target on its back.

So of course it's Reed who fucks this up and practically invites Franklin to run away xD

And I actually do like the idea of Franklin being around other mutants and maybe even joining an X-Team. But...not like this.
    Last edited by Blue22; 02-05-2020 at 08:11 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Watkins View Post
    1) is he really a minor? does the timeline support that? feels like he's been a little kid for a very long time.

3) he only seems to be a minor when they need to control him. his father was quite happy to exploit his son's powers to rebuild reality. he's also just fine with Franklin exploring new worlds with only his sister as supervision. if he's old enough to "go to war," he should be old enough to make this decision.
    He's like 16ish so he's still a minor

Quote Originally Posted by Crimz View Post
    Reed basically articulated put my point of view when he said that Charles and Magento have an agenda because they could have waited a couple years until he was a legal adult. He's a minor, it may seem unfair but his parents are his guardians and have the final say.
    Reed messed up towards the end though with a classic, good intention and bad execution. He practically trademarked doing that.

The moment between Ben and Franklin was sad, but at the same time a nice moment.

Sue having none of it and was ready to go from onset was the best. She was ready to end some of them lol.

I like Kitty's big sister role, it's really nice to see and I hope we don't have to wait another 30 years for it to happen again...

Storm's diplomatic immunity thing was off to me. What did she think Johnny was gonna do? Burn his nephew? Her stance was more hardened than I thought it would be considering her relationship with the FF.
    I have the feeling that this is going to be something like "Magneto and Xavier know thanks to Moira that if Franklin loses his powers completely, he can never recover them." And they don't want to explain how they know.

Quote Originally Posted by starduck View Post
    It was alright. Though I wish Jean was the one fighting Sue
    To my knowledge, 4Fs do not have telepathic defenses. She is now the most powerful telepath in the world. It would have been a very short fight.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Watkins View Post

Yes he's a minor.

His powers fading does not require him to stay on Krakoa. They could easily work with Reed to fix it.

He hasn't been to war. How is rebuilding the multiverse akin to war or exploiting him? Plus they are worlds HE made, why would there be a problem with him and Val taking a trip in them?
    Be sure to check out the Invisible Woman appreciation thread!

Well time to score the points:

FF

Good: If I were Franklin's mother or father, I wouldn't let my son go to Krakoa under these circumstances. As Reed said in a few years the boy will be an adult and will be able to make his own decisions so why is Charles in such a hurry? There is something very suspicious here.

Bad: Seriously putting mutant gene inhibitors on your son without his permission Reed? As much as parents want to protect their children you sometimes need to let them make their own mistakes even if it leaves strong marks on them for good or for bad. Even though Reed's intention was good, what he did with Franklin was completely wrong in many ways and as we saw the more we tried to hold something against her will the more we drove her away from us.

X-men

Good: Choosing Kitty for the mission was perhaps the only thing Xavier did right. Unlike what happened with Hope in this case, Kitty worried about what the boy wanted and made it clear that she would respect his decision regardless of what Xavier would want.

Bad: I know it was for plot reasons but seriously bringing Magneto is purely stupid in so many ways. It is as if Xavier wants to make Reed and Susan worried instead of convincing them .
    Xavier is hiding something like Reed said. Perhaps he needs a mutant with the boy's powers and cannot expect the boy to become an adult as he would be useless if he lost his powers. Or maybe he knows something about the boy from Moira's visions.

It is very similar to Hope's dilemma in AvX. The difference is that the mutants are not nearly extinct and a cosmic entity is not going to Earth and Val is planning something.
    Last edited by Knives; 02-05-2020 at 08:20 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by useridgoeshere View Post
    You're right, it is forced. While we know why it has to happen, I don't think it's a legit tradeoff ... "Well, in order to get a story, you have to accept this intro and move on". No, how about you figure out a different story or a better way to tell it?
    That seems to be a running problem in Marvel's crossover events that pit heroes against each other. They almost never feel natural and can only exist if one or both parties are acting as dumb as humanly possible.

BANNED

Great First Issue.

Zdarsky did something that Hickman might not have been interested in. Mash together the Hickman-era Fantastic Four with Reed's ethos of "solving everything" with Hickman's X-Men and their hostility towards meta-humans who the mutants see as useful idiots for future sentinel and nimrod-makers.

The characters all sound great. He also follows up his ideas from Marvel Two-in-One.

Quote Originally Posted by useridgoeshere View Post
    Unfortunatelly I am not a writer so I doubt I can do better. Just a customer who likes product or dislikes it.

I think it would be better if X-Men would arrive to save Franklin from some villain that wants to kill him or use his powers. They have only limited time before someone powerfull will attack Franklin so they want to take him to Krakoa and protect him there. Still garbage but probably more logical then let`s bring a lot of X-Men with guns and take away Franklin from his parents because he is a mutant and they are not.
    Last edited by Purplevit; 02-05-2020 at 08:22 AM.

I agree that the mutants were reckless while approaching the F4.

But Magneto has been extra stupid since HOXPOX.

And I still affirm I have never seen Storm being well written since Claremont. Nothing new here.

I liked the issue. I still have my own doubts about the whole Krakoa thing, but in the context of that situation, this was a fun crossover. Ben and Franklin's talk at the dinner was great, felt like what Ben was going through back in the old FF/X-Men story where Reed designed the ship to give them powers and all that. For Reed to manipulate his son's DNA signal or whatever like that was such a gross violation of his autonomy. It really did give the nice twist necessary to make the FF unreasonable(because, yeah, no way would I want my child to run off to Magneto and Xavier's orgy island either), and motivate Franklin and Val to literally stow away. I just hope Storm whups Dooms ass again when she wakes up next issue(like back in Uncanny 147)!
    Let the flames destroy all but that which is pure and true!