Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

....so hey I had a good time with this.

While I don’t think it’s great, for me it’s the standard Bendis thing of ok writing with fun ideas, but I’d be lying if I said I wasn’t having fun reading a storyline about some characters that I really like as a team going on adventures. I’m serious when I say I’ll take this over something like Heroes in Crisis or “Ric Grayson” any day of the week. Also I think that it’s a pretty fairly well told story that Bendis has kind of established would happen since the first few issues where we saw what happened to Conner. I mean it’s easy to follow if you think about it, 1. They go on a crazy adventure and find Connor thrown out by Starlabs, 2. The journey home, 3. Make it home and now time to confront Starlabs. Sure there’s been some bumps, deviations, and not every line of dialogue is gold but overall I’m having a good time and that’s enough for me.

As for the new additions well I’m biased because I already know all of them. I like Naomi, I like Dial H, I like the Wonder Twins, I’m glad Sideways hasn’t been forgotten, and it’s cool to see Kaldur outside of the Aquaman ongoing. I know who each and everyone of them are and I’m fine with them being here.
    "It's fun and it's cool, so that's all that matters. It's what comics are for, Duh."
    Words to live by.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by sifighter View Post
    Me too.

If I was reading this in trade I would probably toss it back on the stack for awhile after this issue basically repeating half the last issue, but as a monthly experience this book is fun and I actually find each character who had been squeezed in to be worth being there.

I thought it was fun. Not great, but not bad.

"is he always like that" seems to be a running joke about Bart so I don't mind it because I love classic Bart.
    Pulls: Batman, Detective Comics, SiKtC, Catwoman, Nightwing, Titans, Godzilla, Wonder Woman, Batman & Robin, Brave and the Bold, No/One, Kill your Darlings, and Deviant.
    My runs: Batman #230-, and Detective #420-

Astonishing Member

I'm enjoying the book. It may sound crazy in the modern age of superhero comics, but I like how simple the series is. It's just one crazy adventure after another and that isn't all that different from what a lot of the original run of Young Justice was. Maybe the original YJ was funnier, but I'm still okay with what we have here.

Quote Originally Posted by married guy View Post
    I gave up on this book with issue 12.
    I wanted to love this book so much, but it's been a year of nothing.
    As mentioned, there's been next to ZERO character development.
    Somehow, Bendis has managed to neglect EVERY character - not just the newbies.
    It's been a year, we still haven't got ANY idea what's in Jinny's trunk.
    Bart hasn't interacted with a single member of the Flash Family.
    Cassie and Tim haven't done a damn thing and Conner had done nothing but mope.
    I was so excited when this book was announced, I'm disappointed it didn't hook me.

THIS sums up my feelings regarding this book.

ooh and don't worry, issue #13 is terrible as well.

I think it's pretty telling that even the people being positive about this book are essentially all saying "Well it's not outright terrible

There are a lot great books out there at the moment so I don't think using Heroes in Crisis or the Ric Grayson fiasco works as some sort of mark of quality or an achievement.

For me a books that "fun" is one that engages me, that's well paced, has characters and storylines with substance, dialogue and humour that's sharp and witty (not self-indulgent).

Peter David original run had all those things and more in spades and I thinks that's a more apt example at which to compare this current run to and spoiler alert it does not do so well.

DC seriously needs to up it's game with the teen books. Marvel has the whole Outlawed thing going on starting next month. What do they have to offer to compete with it? In fact, isn't Wonder Comics down to just two titles next month, because Wonder Twins and Dial H for Hero are ending? That'll just leave Amethyst's new book, and Young Justice. They need to expand again, pronto, or the Champions relaunch will leave them in the dust.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Quote Originally Posted by AdamFTF View Post
    I'm enjoying the book. It may sound crazy in the modern age of superhero comics, but I like how simple the series is. It's just one crazy adventure after another and that isn't all that different from what a lot of the original run of Young Justice was. Maybe the original YJ was funnier, but I'm still okay with what we have here.
    I enjoyed the hops around the Multiverse. But I wouldn't call this issue a "crazy adventure" or even an adventure at all. It was a bunch of pinup pages of Warlord recapping his history and then some pages of characters standing around. I dig the characters, but it's the lack of adventure that's killing this book for me.

It's crazy that this book has given us a deeper dive on Warlord, a random guest star, than any of its own cast.

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    They need to expand again, pronto, or the Champions relaunch will leave them in the dust.
    Based on the sales of the previous two Champions series I doubt they have much to worry about.

Naomi Season 2 is also on the horizon, although there's not date for it as of yet. I'm also kinda surprised they didn't have the Legion be under the Wonder Comics banner since it fits that mold.
    Last Read: Zatanna and the Ripper vol. 1

Monthly Pull List: Alan Scott: The Green Lantern, Batman, Batman/Superman: World's Finest, Beware the Planet of the Apes, Birds of Prey, Daredevil, Green Arrow, Jay Garrick: The Flash, Justice Ducks, Justice Society of America, Negaduck, Nightwing, Phantom Road, Shazam!, Suicide Squad: Dream Team, Superman '78: The Metal Curtain, Thundercats, Titans

Teen Titans easily outsells Champions, but not Young Justice. They were at a similar level.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    DC seriously needs to up it's game with the teen books. Marvel has the whole Outlawed thing going on starting next month. What do they have to offer to compete with it? In fact, isn't Wonder Comics down to just two titles next month, because Wonder Twins and Dial H for Hero are ending? That'll just leave Amethyst's new book, and Young Justice. They need to expand again, pronto, or the Champions relaunch will leave them in the dust.
    DC is probably just going to relaunch everything with 5G anyways, so I think whatever teen hero book comes out around then will give a better gauge of where things stand.

Quote Originally Posted by Korath View Post
    You're kidding right ?Naomi, Wonder Twin, Sideways... they have their own freaking books ! read them instead of complaining "They have no depth!"

Seriously... I don't give a **** about Conner, Cassie, Bart of Tim, they are the weakest elements to me because I don't like those characters. I came for the new ones, and I like them. They don't need super-extended background to be formed characters and developing. And, yes, when you rate it 0.5/10, you're clearly ridiculously over the top in your criticism.
    Please tone down your combativeness and your languages (both of you)! Otherwise there will be consequences.
    Sandy Hausler
    DC Boards Moderator (along with The Darknight Detective (who has a much cooler name that I do))
    THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ Know them. Follow them. Love them.

In this issue, Naomi became the character I relate the most in this book with a single sentence:

"I have no idea what I'm doing."

One year into the life of this title, these nine words perfectly encapsulate the entire vision behind it. Though the fact that Gleason jumped ship to Marvel a handful of issues into his 'dream project' was already a pretty huge flag.

At least the pages drawn by guest star artists Oeming and Grell were nice surprises.

THE MARK OF MY DIGNITY Superlad93's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by sifighter View Post
    Same. I dropped the book an issue or two ago, but once I learned that it would be a Conner focused arc, and that it would crossover with Action Comics, I decided to pick it back up. And it's most certainly the weakest book Bendis has written at DC by a good bit, but it can honestly be fun.

I'm really wondering what the plan is for this roster size though.
    "Mark my words! This drill will open a hole in the universe. And that hole will become a path for those that follow after us. The dreams of those who have fallen. The hopes of those who will follow. Those two sets of dreams weave together into a double helix, drilling a path towards tomorrow. THAT's Tengen Toppa! THAT'S Gurren Lagann! MY DRILL IS THE DRILL THAT CREATES THE HEAVENS!" - The Digger

We walk on the path to Secher Nbiw. Though hard fought, we walk the Golden Path.

Quote Originally Posted by Superlad93 View Post
    Same. I dropped the book an issue or two ago, but once I learned that it would be a Conner focused arc, and that it would crossover with Action Comics, I decided to pick it back up. And it's most certainly the weakest book Bendis has written at DC by a good bit, but it can honestly be fun.

I'm really wondering what the plan is for this roster size though.
    I find Event Leviathan to be his weakest, generally I like (not love) most of his other work. When it comes down to it really Bendis here for me is just writing a handful of characters that I already know and am aware of (except Jenny and Teen but they're new) and having them have a fun adventure with nothing character ruining or upsetting at all. Sure Drake is a questionable choice but I'm not upset about it or anything because really when it boils down to it all Tim did was change his code name and appearance, but nothing else about his character changed. If I had to equate it to anything, it's that B-Movie that you watched on Saturday afternoon, you had a fun enough time and it kept your interest but its not winning any Awards, it just did its job to entertain.

As for the size...I'm betting Wonder Twins, Dial H, and Naomi aren't sticking around. Once this team up is done I honestly expect those characters to go back to their own sequel mini-series in the whole Wonder Comics banner, like they are on call for help but it feels like they'd probably go back to doing their own thing. Spoiler is probably staying because of Tim, Aqualad will stay because of the cartoon Synergy, and Sideways will stay because he's got nowhere else to be. Arrowette given her history is a little hard to call on whether she will stay or not.
    "It's fun and it's cool, so that's all that matters. It's what comics are for, Duh."
    Words to live by.