Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    All-New Member

Default Young Justice #13 Spoilers/Review

So, the issue begins with Superboy and Warlord. The art style is different when focused on Superboy, but knowing it's only temporary and having it's own sense of charm, it's not bad. Superboy bemoans himself again while Warlord tries to one-up him. Superboy doesnt seem interested in Warlord's story and then they are attacked by lizard men. Superboy and Warlord are eventually confronted by a stupid looking character, with an even more stupid name, and with yet even more stupid dialogue. This enemy has a kryptonite sword and it ends with a cliffhanger.

This whole passage thus far is not necessarily bad, but it feels hollow because at some point Warlord will be a nonfactor and whatever lesson hes trying to give will seem lost in the cluster of this series.

The comic also focuses on Tim and the gang. Get ready to cringe while reading the dialogue. This is especially true when the first two pages featuring the group there is dialogue on two separate instances where the reader is reminded that this is supposed to be a comic book about Young Justice.

None of the dialogue comes off as particularly original(people asking if bart always acts like he does
    .....we've read that sort of stuff many times) or interesting.

Due to certain events, Tim and the gang head out to New Mexico and Cassie gives the cringest dialogue of the issue about how she, tim, and bart have done "this" before and they will lead the others....trust me, once you read it for yourself you will know what I mean.

Bart arrives first to New Mexico and meets a group of young heroes(aqualad, spoiler, arrowette,etc)....that he for some reason expected to be there....bart asks if they are ready to go. Aqualad says yes because they are the real young Justice. So now theres about 15 young heroes to note.

If you are keeping track, that's the third time in one issue that the name "young Justice" gets thrown out there for no reason.

0.5/10 it truly was worse than I'm describing and I might be done with this series for a while.
    Last edited by armycat23; 02-05-2020 at 10:05 AM.

Always Rakzo

I really hate how Bendis makes Warlord sound like pretty much every single one of his characters.

Good to see Grell back to draw him though.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by married guy View Post
    I gave up on this book with issue 12.
    I wanted to love this book so much, but it's been a year of nothing.
    As mentioned, there's been next to ZERO character development.
    Somehow, Bendis has managed to neglect EVERY character - not just the newbies.
    It's been a year, we still haven't got ANY idea what's in Jinny's trunk.
    Bart hasn't interacted with a single member of the Flash Family.
    Cassie and Tim haven't done a damn thing and Conner had done nothing but mope.
    I was so excited when this book was announced, I'm disappointed it didn't hook me.
    Yes, I absolutely HATE that the characters are now so different than they were at the end of JOHNS TT Run..
    I wished that there would be a continous aging up from the point where they last appearad in Pre-Flashpoint...

CONNER was an absolutely cool, muscular guy who was able to fight against Superboy Prime, survived a fight against Doomsday, helped Superman against Gog etc. etc. sacrificied his life to save the Multiverse and now he cries....

CASSIE developed in a good leader and powerful female superhero and she was the daughter of Zeus, now she is the granddaughter of Zeus and seemingly sometimes afraid of fighting...

TIM was better as Red Robin than he is now as Drake...

I must also say that I like Bart more as KID FLASH than as IMPULSE....

I wished that they would come back as older Versions of the JOHNS TT Versions, so they are a middle generation between TT and Titans, recruit heroes of their ageclass like Blue Beetle,Static,Traci 13,Bombshell,Zachary.....and are seen as role models by the younger generation...
    Last edited by Conn Seanery; 02-09-2020 at 07:18 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Masterff View Post
    Yes, I absolutely HATE that the characters are now so different than they were at the end of JOHNS TT Run..
    I wished that there would be a continous aging up from the point where they last appearad in Pre-Flashpoint...

CONNER was an absolutely cool, muscular guy who was able to fight against Superboy Prime, survived a fight against Doomsday, helped Superman against Gog etc. etc. sacrificied his life to save the Multiverse and now he cries....

CASSIE developed in a good leader and powerful female superhero and she was the daughter of Zeus, now she is the granddaughter of Zeus and seemingly sometimes afraid of fighting...

TIM was better as Red Robin than he is now as Drake...

I must also say that I like Bart more as KID FLASH than as IMPULSE....

I wished that they would come back as older Versions of the JOHNS TT Versions, so they are a middle generation between TT and Titans, recruit heroes of their ageclass like Blue Beetle,Static,Traci 13,Bombshell,Zachary.....and are seen as role models by the younger generation...
    I couldn't tell from the 736 message threads you've started to repeat the exact same complaints. In my opinion, everything done with the YJ Four from Graduation Day onwards has been utter dreck, and that includes the abomination that is Geoff Johns' Teen Titans run.

What the hell, CBR? Maybe check back issues before you start claiming there's a "mystery archer"! They speculate it's Mia, but multiple comments point out that Cissie was part of the original Young Justice - which should've been obvious if they'd bothered doing any research!
    https://www.cbr.com/young-justice-ne...ystery-archer/
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

....so hey I had a good time with this.

While I don’t think it’s great, for me it’s the standard Bendis thing of ok writing with fun ideas, but I’d be lying if I said I wasn’t having fun reading a storyline about some characters that I really like as a team going on adventures. I’m serious when I say I’ll take this over something like Heroes in Crisis or “Ric Grayson” any day of the week. Also I think that it’s a pretty fairly well told story that Bendis has kind of established would happen since the first few issues where we saw what happened to Conner. I mean it’s easy to follow if you think about it, 1. They go on a crazy adventure and find Connor thrown out by Starlabs, 2. The journey home, 3. Make it home and now time to confront Starlabs. Sure there’s been some bumps, deviations, and not every line of dialogue is gold but overall I’m having a good time and that’s enough for me.

As for the new additions well I’m biased because I already know all of them. I like Naomi, I like Dial H, I like the Wonder Twins, I’m glad Sideways hasn’t been forgotten, and it’s cool to see Kaldur outside of the Aquaman ongoing. I know who each and everyone of them are and I’m fine with them being here.
    "It's fun and it's cool, so that's all that matters. It's what comics are for, Duh."
    Words to live by.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by sifighter View Post
    Me too.

If I was reading this in trade I would probably toss it back on the stack for awhile after this issue basically repeating half the last issue, but as a monthly experience this book is fun and I actually find each character who had been squeezed in to be worth being there.

THE MARK OF MY DIGNITY Superlad93's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by sifighter View Post
    Same. I dropped the book an issue or two ago, but once I learned that it would be a Conner focused arc, and that it would crossover with Action Comics, I decided to pick it back up. And it's most certainly the weakest book Bendis has written at DC by a good bit, but it can honestly be fun.

I'm really wondering what the plan is for this roster size though.
    "Mark my words! This drill will open a hole in the universe. And that hole will become a path for those that follow after us. The dreams of those who have fallen. The hopes of those who will follow. Those two sets of dreams weave together into a double helix, drilling a path towards tomorrow. THAT's Tengen Toppa! THAT'S Gurren Lagann! MY DRILL IS THE DRILL THAT CREATES THE HEAVENS!" - The Digger

We walk on the path to Secher Nbiw. Though hard fought, we walk the Golden Path.

I enjoyed seeing Grell's art, but featuring it seemed to be the sole reason for this issue to exist. Is Warlord getting a book again? I'd rather have read about the YJ characters -- they're already fighting for screen time.

The plot was pretty boring. This issue and last felt like a lot of standing around.

Astonishing Member

As far as the mish-mash of art chores and the not much happening, I wasn't that thrilled with this issue. The character interactions are all fine, but man, this is the height of decompression. Each of the ... I guess, "four" scenes could have been told in a page.

But that said ... I am exceedingly fond of the four new additions.

Spoiler Alert.

Spoiler. About time.

Aqualad. Yes. He's definitely already, in short order, outgrown his Teen Titan stints with Damian and is generationally more Tim's age group anyway. Even beyond that though, I'm not opposed to some synchronicity. Aqualad is vital to the YJ animated series, and while I'm not up on the most recent season, I think he not only fits better here, but he 'brand recognition' fits better here.

Sideways. Actually it's really nice to see him get included. He opens doors to YJ being able to do some certain things, pun intended, and get involved in some future shenanigans.

Archer.

Archer.

Holy shit is that Artemis Crock?
    Retro315 no more. Anonymity is so 2005.
    retrowarbird.blogspot.com

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by K. Jones View Post
    As far as the mish-mash of art chores and the not much happening, I wasn't that thrilled with this issue. The character interactions are all fine, but man, this is the height of decompression. Each of the ... I guess, "four" scenes could have been told in a page.

But that said ... I am exceedingly fond of the four new additions.

Spoiler Alert.

Spoiler. About time.

Aqualad. Yes. He's definitely already, in short order, outgrown his Teen Titan stints with Damian and is generationally more Tim's age group anyway. Even beyond that though, I'm not opposed to some synchronicity. Aqualad is vital to the YJ animated series, and while I'm not up on the most recent season, I think he not only fits better here, but he 'brand recognition' fits better here.

Sideways. Actually it's really nice to see him get included. He opens doors to YJ being able to do some certain things, pun intended, and get involved in some future shenanigans.

Archer.

Archer.

Holy shit is that Artemis Crock?
    No, it's Arrowette from the original YJ.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Darkcrusade25 View Post
    No, it's Arrowette from the original YJ.
    I was musing on whether it was Artemis or Mia "Speedy" Reardon/Deardon/King/Blah and definitely forgot to account for Arrowette's featuring so heavily in the old comic. I think the mask made me think Artemis, even though I guess I knew at one point that the Artemis mask in YJ:TAS was basically lifted from the Arrowette design. And I see from a little research that Arrowette's YJ:TAS design then role-reverses and takes cues from the Season 1 Artemis design. And that less cheerleadery variations of Cissie's costume exist. If Artemis shows up it'll most likely be as Tigress. Right right.

I still get a kick out of just how every young girl that shows up in Green Arrow books is the daughter of an evil assassin. Mia, Artemis, Emiko, Cissie.

So, hmm ... this happened in Teen Titans pretty recently as well, but yet again, here's a batch of kids with pretty hardcore supervillain dads, other than Sideways.
    Retro315 no more. Anonymity is so 2005.
    retrowarbird.blogspot.com

Quote Originally Posted by Jadeb View Post
    I enjoyed seeing Grell's art, but featuring it seemed to be the sole reason for this issue to exist. Is Warlord getting a book again?
    That's the question I was asking myself as well. While I liked Grell's art it was pretty much just a quick recap of the original Warlord series that seemed out of place in the book. For those of us who've read the originals it was nice to see again, but since it was just a recap it wasn't something we hadn't seen Greel do before. And for those who did not read the originals did the recap really do anything to make them interested in a Warlord book? Doesn't seem like it would be the targeted at the same audience.

All in all I have to say that while I really enjoyed the artwork, the story itself felt somewhat lacking.

Quote Originally Posted by Korath View Post
    You're kidding right ?Naomi, Wonder Twin, Sideways... they have their own freaking books ! read them instead of complaining "They have no depth!"

Seriously... I don't give a fuck about Conner, Cassie, Bart of Tim, they are the weakest elements to me because I don't like those characters. I came for the new ones, and I like them. They don't need super-extended background to be formed characters and developing. And, yes, when you rate it 0.5/10, you're clearly ridiculously over the top in your criticism.
    Please tone down your combativeness and your languages (both of you)! Otherwise there will be consequences.
    Sandy Hausler
    DC Boards Moderator (along with The Darknight Detective (who has a much cooler name that I do))
    THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ Know them. Follow them. Love them.

In this issue, Naomi became the character I relate the most in this book with a single sentence:

"I have no idea what I'm doing."

One year into the life of this title, these nine words perfectly encapsulate the entire vision behind it. Though the fact that Gleason jumped ship to Marvel a handful of issues into his 'dream project' was already a pretty huge flag.

At least the pages drawn by guest star artists Oeming and Grell were nice surprises.