Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 31
  1. #1
    All-New Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2020
    Posts
    9

    Default Young Justice #13 Spoilers/Review

    So, the issue begins with Superboy and Warlord. The art style is different when focused on Superboy, but knowing it's only temporary and having it's own sense of charm, it's not bad. Superboy bemoans himself again while Warlord tries to one-up him. Superboy doesnt seem interested in Warlord's story and then they are attacked by lizard men. Superboy and Warlord are eventually confronted by a stupid looking character, with an even more stupid name, and with yet even more stupid dialogue. This enemy has a kryptonite sword and it ends with a cliffhanger.

    This whole passage thus far is not necessarily bad, but it feels hollow because at some point Warlord will be a nonfactor and whatever lesson hes trying to give will seem lost in the cluster of this series.

    The comic also focuses on Tim and the gang. Get ready to cringe while reading the dialogue. This is especially true when the first two pages featuring the group there is dialogue on two separate instances where the reader is reminded that this is supposed to be a comic book about Young Justice.

    None of the dialogue comes off as particularly original(people asking if bart always acts like he does
    .....we've read that sort of stuff many times) or interesting.

    Due to certain events, Tim and the gang head out to New Mexico and Cassie gives the cringest dialogue of the issue about how she, tim, and bart have done "this" before and they will lead the others....trust me, once you read it for yourself you will know what I mean.

    Bart arrives first to New Mexico and meets a group of young heroes(aqualad, spoiler, arrowette,etc)....that he for some reason expected to be there....bart asks if they are ready to go. Aqualad says yes because they are the real young Justice. So now theres about 15 young heroes to note.

    If you are keeping track, that's the third time in one issue that the name "young Justice" gets thrown out there for no reason.

    0.5/10 it truly was worse than I'm describing and I might be done with this series for a while.
    Last edited by armycat23; 02-05-2020 at 10:05 AM.

  2. #2
    Always Rakzo
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Peru
    Posts
    3,997

    Default

    I really hate how Bendis makes Warlord sound like pretty much every single one of his characters.

    Good to see Grell back to draw him though.

  3. #3
    Incredible Member Jadeb's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    877

    Default

    I enjoyed seeing Grell's art, but featuring it seemed to be the sole reason for this issue to exist. Is Warlord getting a book again? I'd rather have read about the YJ characters -- they're already fighting for screen time.

    The plot was pretty boring. This issue and last felt like a lot of standing around.

  4. #4
    Astonishing Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    3,697

    Default

    As far as the mish-mash of art chores and the not much happening, I wasn't that thrilled with this issue. The character interactions are all fine, but man, this is the height of decompression. Each of the ... I guess, "four" scenes could have been told in a page.

    But that said ... I am exceedingly fond of the four new additions.

    Spoiler Alert.

    Spoiler. About time.

    Aqualad. Yes. He's definitely already, in short order, outgrown his Teen Titan stints with Damian and is generationally more Tim's age group anyway. Even beyond that though, I'm not opposed to some synchronicity. Aqualad is vital to the YJ animated series, and while I'm not up on the most recent season, I think he not only fits better here, but he 'brand recognition' fits better here.

    Sideways. Actually it's really nice to see him get included. He opens doors to YJ being able to do some certain things, pun intended, and get involved in some future shenanigans.

    Archer.

    Archer.

    Holy shit is that Artemis Crock?
    Retro315 no more. Anonymity is so 2005.
    retrowarbird.blogspot.com

  5. #5
    Incredible Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Posts
    589

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by K. Jones View Post
    As far as the mish-mash of art chores and the not much happening, I wasn't that thrilled with this issue. The character interactions are all fine, but man, this is the height of decompression. Each of the ... I guess, "four" scenes could have been told in a page.

    But that said ... I am exceedingly fond of the four new additions.

    Spoiler Alert.

    Spoiler. About time.

    Aqualad. Yes. He's definitely already, in short order, outgrown his Teen Titan stints with Damian and is generationally more Tim's age group anyway. Even beyond that though, I'm not opposed to some synchronicity. Aqualad is vital to the YJ animated series, and while I'm not up on the most recent season, I think he not only fits better here, but he 'brand recognition' fits better here.

    Sideways. Actually it's really nice to see him get included. He opens doors to YJ being able to do some certain things, pun intended, and get involved in some future shenanigans.

    Archer.

    Archer.

    Holy shit is that Artemis Crock?
    No, it's Arrowette from the original YJ.

  6. #6
    Astonishing Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    3,697

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Darkcrusade25 View Post
    No, it's Arrowette from the original YJ.
    I was musing on whether it was Artemis or Mia "Speedy" Reardon/Deardon/King/Blah and definitely forgot to account for Arrowette's featuring so heavily in the old comic. I think the mask made me think Artemis, even though I guess I knew at one point that the Artemis mask in YJ:TAS was basically lifted from the Arrowette design. And I see from a little research that Arrowette's YJ:TAS design then role-reverses and takes cues from the Season 1 Artemis design. And that less cheerleadery variations of Cissie's costume exist. If Artemis shows up it'll most likely be as Tigress. Right right.

    I still get a kick out of just how every young girl that shows up in Green Arrow books is the daughter of an evil assassin. Mia, Artemis, Emiko, Cissie.

    So, hmm ... this happened in Teen Titans pretty recently as well, but yet again, here's a batch of kids with pretty hardcore supervillain dads, other than Sideways.
    Retro315 no more. Anonymity is so 2005.
    retrowarbird.blogspot.com

  7. #7
    Spectacular Member Tenzel Kim's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    220

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jadeb View Post
    I enjoyed seeing Grell's art, but featuring it seemed to be the sole reason for this issue to exist. Is Warlord getting a book again?
    That's the question I was asking myself as well. While I liked Grell's art it was pretty much just a quick recap of the original Warlord series that seemed out of place in the book. For those of us who've read the originals it was nice to see again, but since it was just a recap it wasn't something we hadn't seen Greel do before. And for those who did not read the originals did the recap really do anything to make them interested in a Warlord book? Doesn't seem like it would be the targeted at the same audience.

    All in all I have to say that while I really enjoyed the artwork, the story itself felt somewhat lacking.

  8. #8
    Invincible Member Digifiend's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Posts
    21,093

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by K. Jones View Post
    I was musing on whether it was Artemis or Mia "Speedy" Reardon/Deardon/King/Blah and definitely forgot to account for Arrowette's featuring so heavily in the old comic.
    King is Arrowette's surname, not Mia's. Cissie King-Jones. Speedy doesn't currently exist, Mia was never re-introduced in New 52 and her role was supplanted by Emiko, Red Arrow.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

  9. #9
    Astonishing Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    3,697

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    King is Arrowette's surname, not Mia's. Cissie King-Jones. Speedy doesn't currently exist, Mia was never re-introduced in New 52 and her role was supplanted by Emiko, Red Arrow.
    I know to what you refer and am aware that Cissie King-Jones is the daughter of Arthur King, which is still unknown to be the real name or the alias of the man called Merlyn, who may also be Malcolm in the comics now.

    But Speedy WAS reintroduced in the New 52. In a really, really bad Marc Guggenheim short run after Lemire's epic run ended where he introduced ANOTHER new anti-Green Arrow type crook called John King, who was meant to be a bit more like the public persona of Malcolm Merlyn, and who was Mia's father (Because "Thea" in the show being an amalgamation of Mia and Cissie wasn't confusing enough). This run also really, really, really poorly attempted to shove Felicity Smoak into the DCU with the grace and surgical precision of Thor's Hammer. While it's probably best left forgotten ... I remembered it here. Track it down if you want to read some really bad Green Arrow comics! It might be worth a "so bad it's good" read at this point.

    Also bad Green Arrow comics: Earlier in the New 52 when they tried to ram Tommy Merlyn in.
    Retro315 no more. Anonymity is so 2005.
    retrowarbird.blogspot.com

  10. #10
    Three Legged Member married guy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2016
    Location
    Your mum's place
    Posts
    1,453

    Default

    I gave up on this book with issue 12.
    I wanted to love this book so much, but it's been a year of nothing.
    As mentioned, there's been next to ZERO character development.
    Somehow, Bendis has managed to neglect EVERY character - not just the newbies.
    It's been a year, we still haven't got ANY idea what's in Jinny's trunk.
    Bart hasn't interacted with a single member of the Flash Family.
    Cassie and Tim haven't done a damn thing and Conner had done nothing but mope.
    I was so excited when this book was announced, I'm disappointed it didn't hook me.
    "My name is Wally West. I'm the fastest man alive!"
    I'll try being nicer if you try being smarter.

  11. #11
    Extraordinary Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Posts
    6,050

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by K. Jones View Post
    I still get a kick out of just how every young girl that shows up in Green Arrow books is the daughter of an evil assassin. Mia, Artemis, Emiko, Cissie.
    Neither Mia or Chissie have assassins as parents, Emiko's biological father is iirc also not an assassins and Artemis has in the momics nothing to do with Green Arrow (and Chissie has afaik also no real connection to Green Arrow).

    Quote Originally Posted by K. Jones View Post
    I know to what you refer and am aware that Cissie King-Jones is the daughter of Arthur King, which is still unknown to be the real name or the alias of the man called Merlyn, who may also be Malcolm in the comics now.
    No she is the daughter of Bonnie King (the original Miss Arrowette and Green Arrows Loveinterst in the Silverage) and Bernell Jones.

  12. #12
    Incredible Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2018
    Posts
    899

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by married guy View Post
    I gave up on this book with issue 12.
    I wanted to love this book so much, but it's been a year of nothing.
    As mentioned, there's been next to ZERO character development.
    Somehow, Bendis has managed to neglect EVERY character - not just the newbies.
    It's been a year, we still haven't got ANY idea what's in Jinny's trunk.
    Bart hasn't interacted with a single member of the Flash Family.
    Cassie and Tim haven't done a damn thing and Conner had done nothing but mope.
    I was so excited when this book was announced, I'm disappointed it didn't hook me.
    Yes, I absolutely HATE that the characters are now so different than they were at the end of JOHNS TT Run..
    I wished that there would be a continous aging up from the point where they last appearad in Pre-Flashpoint...

    CONNER was an absolutely cool, muscular guy who was able to fight against Superboy Prime, survived a fight against Doomsday, helped Superman against Gog etc. etc. sacrificied his life to save the Multiverse and now he cries....

    CASSIE developed in a good leader and powerful female superhero and she was the daughter of Zeus, now she is the granddaughter of Zeus and seemingly sometimes afraid of fighting...

    TIM was better as Red Robin than he is now as Drake...

    I must also say that I like Bart more as KID FLASH than as IMPULSE....

    I wished that they would come back as older Versions of the JOHNS TT Versions, so they are a middle generation between TT and Titans, recruit heroes of their ageclass like Blue Beetle,Static,Traci 13,Bombshell,Zachary.....and are seen as role models by the younger generation...
    Last edited by Conn Seanery; 02-09-2020 at 07:18 AM.

  13. #13
    Extraordinary Member dietrich's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Posts
    8,526

    Default

    I think the series is lazy with pacing issues and plot threads left hanging. It started well and then did a nose dive.

    I like Steph, Sideways, Jackson, Kaldur and Naomi so don't mind them here. Not true to say that they have no depth. They do although they do not have the body of work the more established characters on the team have since they haven't been around as long [aside from Steph]

    Bendis should have spent more time on the team he introduced in the 1st issue before adding more but I understand why he started adding other's.
    These new addition are necessary to boost sales so I get why Bendis added them.
    Last edited by Conn Seanery; 02-09-2020 at 07:23 AM.

  14. #14
    Incredible Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Posts
    589

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by dietrich View Post
    I think the series is lazy with pacing issues and plot threads left hanging. It started well and then did a nose dive.

    I like Steph, Sideways, Jackson, Kaldur and Naomi so don't mind them here. Not true to say that they have no depth. They do although they do not have the body of work the more established characters on the team have since they haven't been around as long [aside from Steph]

    Bendis should have spent more time on the team he introduced in the 1st issue before adding more but I understand why he started adding other's.
    These new addition are necessary to boost sales so I get why Bendis added them.
    Yeah, you pretty much described my feelings towards this book. Since the start of Rebirth I wanted the YJ4 back so bad and I was fine waiting for 1 arc for the whole team to come back. But then after the first arc, pacing got really bad. There's just so many pages in this book where the pacing could've been improved.
    Last edited by Conn Seanery; 02-09-2020 at 07:24 AM.

  15. #15
    Invincible Member Digifiend's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Posts
    21,093

    Default

    What the hell, CBR? Maybe check back issues before you start claiming there's a "mystery archer"! They speculate it's Mia, but multiple comments point out that Cissie was part of the original Young Justice - which should've been obvious if they'd bothered doing any research!
    https://www.cbr.com/young-justice-ne...ystery-archer/
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •