Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Extraordinary Member

Default What should be the next "Phase" of the DCEU?

Let's play a game. Let's pretend that the DCEU has "phases" and that all the movies planned from now until Aquaman 2 are part of "Phase 2." So that includes: Birds of Prey; Wonder Woman 1984; the Batman; The Suicide Squad; Black Adam; Shazam 2; the Flash; and Aquaman 2. That would put Phase 2 ending in December of 2022.

From the fact that Birds of Prey, WW84, the Suicide Squad; Shazam 2; the Flash; and Aquaman 2 are still happening, it shows that WB hasn't given up on a shared DC cinematic continuity. There are even several rumors that the Batman is also set in that same continuity.

So, what should be next for that continuity after these films? This is not just a "which character do you want to see with a movie" thread. I want to see people actually try to plan out the next few years of the DCEU after 2022, complete with the plot developments, story details, and overarching threads they think should be included.

Boisterously Confused

That's a tall order partner.

Hm. A shared continuity has not been a Basket Of Win for DC. So my thought would be let each Phase 2 film operate in relative isolation.
    • Establish the properties
    • Use only the VERY lightest of touches to indicate these things are happening in the same -verse (for reference, see how the Marvel Netflix shows the first two seasons of Agents of SHIELD handled their relationships with the MCU).
    • Look at what's working
    • Spend Phase 3 building toward a shared narrative
    • Culminate Phase 4 in a Big Bad throw down.

For a more specific answer, I'd say do what Marvel didn't and work towards a Challenge of the Superfriends story. As you figure out what's working, world-build the shared-verse in a way that provides a roster of villains (that you don't kill). Spend Phase 3 congealing something like a Justice League. Spend Phase 4 building individual films towards encounters that congeal a Legion of Doom, and that culminates in the Legion and the League Having It Out!

Phase 5 is maybe the consequences of this horribly destructive throw down. Maybe Superman is given a pass for the day-after of this nightmare, but the rest of the heroes are rebuilding from the videos of them throwing a Mammoth into somebody's coffee shop.

I know I'm already kind of breaking your rules but if we assume a "phase" equals 8 films, as you have above, and we carve out half of them for sequels to all of the above, that leaves 4.

Superman has to be fixed. A "Man of Steel" sequel or an entire reboot, with or without Henry Cavill. Superman should be flying high in the DCEU.

We need the Lanterns. Hal or not. The entire Corps or not. It's time to fix Green Lantern. The TV show will help but we need him/her/them in the DCEU.

It's time for a Green Arrow movie. There has never been one and the show is over. It's time.

That leaves one. Hmmmmmm...

Quote Originally Posted by Air Wave View Post
    I know I'm already kind of breaking your rules but if we assume a "phase" equals 8 films, as you have above, and we carve out half of them for sequels to all of the above, that leaves 4.

Superman has to be fixed. A "Man of Steel" sequel or an entire reboot, with or without Henry Cavill. Superman should be flying high in the DCEU.

We need the Lanterns. Hal or not. The entire Corps or not. It's time to fix Green Lantern. The TV show will help but we need him/her/them in the DCEU.

It's time for a Green Arrow movie. There has never been one and the show is over. It's time.

That leaves one. Hmmmmmm...
    And for that one, do a lesser known property that could blend into a JLA movie. Maybe a Firestorm or Dr Fate. I would root more for a Firestorm as it could be lighthearted like Shazam but also like nothing Marvel has.

Boisterously Confused

Quote Originally Posted by Superfly Frankenstein View Post
    And for that one, do a lesser known property that could blend into a JLA movie. Maybe a Firestorm or Dr Fate. I would root more for a Firestorm as it could be lighthearted like Shazam but also like nothing Marvel has.
    You could actually do both something mystical and something lighthearted if you did a Zatanna film. She's more attached the JL than Fate, and it could add some more gender diversity to the DCEU.

I'd lead up to an Injustice League plot with Harley being a wild card neither side is sure about.

Quote Originally Posted by Superfly Frankenstein View Post
    I'd also like Martian Manhunter, the Atom & Hawkman to get some movie love.

My ideal Phase II starts with reworking Superman, but not with throwing the baby away with the bathwater. Superman is a stronger character because of what he went through in the three previous movies. Just move forward with that growth in mind. He found, at least for him, a solution to the problem of apathy toward systemic injustice. That solution is commitment. Translate that into the traditional "Never-Ending Battle" and lighten up the stories, and I think Henry Cavill and Amy Adams are still a winning combination.

My premise is a movie where Kal and STAR Labs do an expedition into the Phantom Zone and find Supergirl's suspended animation pod. She teaches him about a beautiful side of Krypton he had never known, and he and Lois in turn teach her about Earth's beauty, and its flaws. That's the heart of the movie. Superman isn't sad or mopey or brooding, he's a wise teacher, passing on hard earned lessons to a beloved protege. Try not to break the bank on the budget either.

Other characters, let's see.

You'll get no predictions or prescriptions for any film which we already know a lot about, not from me.

For The Flash my plan is that "Ezra Miller and Grant Morrison should collaborate and be allowed to do anything that they want, as long as it stays lighthearted."

New Gods can be split between Mister Miracle and Barda, and Orion and Lightray. Maybe Superman can cameo. Darkseid is like President Snow from Hunger Games - you hate everything about him from the first moment he does anything, he doesn't have a point at all, even the ghost of a point, but he's terrifying and powerful so you gotta treat him with respect.

Black Adam, continues the moral framing from Shazam! about how there are no morally perfect people and the Wizard's standards are too high. Black Adam isn't evil, he's just from an age when heroism sometimes meant cutting your opponent open with a sword. He's extremely brutal, but has his people's best interests at heart.

Justice League II is about the League going up against an overwhelmingly powerful foe who is not Darkseid, (maybe the Legion of Doom? Imperiex? The Monster Society of Evil? Someone bigger than Steppenwolf anyway.) and absolutely wrecking this insanely powerful evil with the power of everyone going Full Apotheosis at once. Wonder Woman takes off her limiter bracelets and flies around shooting lightning. The Flash goes full speed force. Cyborg unlocks the true power of technopathy. Aquaman controls every trencher, the Karathen, and tons of dangerous giant fish, all at once, and directs them at the villains. Superman uses more physical strength and speed than we've ever seen him. Batman uses his full tactical skill to coordinate. The Shazam Fam is there, every one of them being at the top of their game. Give a sense of overwhelming power to the League. They defeat an overwhelming foe by being equally overwhelming.

In addition to all this, have smaller films going on too.
    Get Tobey Macguire to play Ted Kord and Andrew Garfield to play the Question, if they're willing. Question in particular should be very low budget.

Maybe a Zatanna movie, maybe a Batgirls movie. Martian Manhunter, obviously, gets one. Shazam 2 of course.
    "You know the deal, Metropolis. Treat people right or expect a visit from me."

Booster Gold

The supporting cast is already set with Goldstar, Rip Hunter and Skeets. There are plenty of characters and elements to incorporate like the Time Masters, Vanishing Point, Waverider, Chronos, Vandal Savage, The Ultrahumanite, Per Degaton, etc, as well as the very concept of time travel (and everything that comes with it) to play with.

The biggest plus I see with a Booster Gold movie though is that the characters aren't that well known, so there should be more leeway for creative license with everything (that way there isn't too much risk which is why I think DC/WB should be using lesser known characters to find their own successful cinematic formula before jumping back to their bigger characters and concepts like Green Lantern)

Good movies not trying to play catch up with Marvel and not worried about the shared universe. That should be the theme.

Astonishing Member

Just a nitpick, but I'd argue that in the real-sense, 'Phase 1' was the build-up to Justice League - MOS, BvS, Suicide Squad, WW and JL.

Phase 2 is Aquaman, Shazam, Birds of Prey, WW '84...and eventually The Batman, The Suicide Squad, Black Adam, Shazam 2, The Flash and Aquaman 2.

Phase 1 was marked by a Marvel-style build-up to the big team-up movie, albeit a very rapid build-up. Phase 2 is a course correction that focused more on solo movies and formerly B-list characters like Aquaman, Shazam or Harley Quinn who are now on their way to becoming major characters. Plus, fixing the mistakes (real or perceived) of Phase 1. The Flashpoint movie will likely be the culmination of this course correction - literally resetting continuity.

Going by this, I expect Phase 3 to maybe start the revival of the Justice League concept, while maintaining the individuality of the Phase 2 films.

Here are a few films I'd like to see in Phase 3, in the rough order or release:

Superman: Man of Tomorrow

As much as I love Cavill's Superman, I'm guessing this will be a soft reboot with a new actor. Bring Brainiac to the big-screen finally and just have a large scale adventure with all the sci-fi craziness of the Superman mythos unleashed. You have Brainiac, you have his invasion of earth, you have the bottled cities, you have Kandor. Plenty to play with! Also, I'd start the movie off with Clark and Lois getting married in a normal ceremony, and book-end it with Kal-El and Lois getting married in a Kryptonian ceremony on Kandor. Just to lean in to the aspect of Superman being a man of two worlds, and wanting Lois to share in that.

Batgirl

Spinning off from Matt Reeves' Batman film, albeit with a lighter tone. This is an origin story for the Barbara Gordon Batgirl. I'd have her be a bit of a prodigy - part computer geek and part martial artist. Her one weakness is that she's a bit of a thrillseeker, and she's inspired by Batman to create the identity of Batgirl to protect the people of Burnside. In a nod to her political background in the Bronze Age comics, I'd start her out as a bit of a community organizer, who decides to turn to vigilantism. Pattison's Batman would make a few cameo appearances, and Jeffrey Wright's Gordon would also be a significant supporting character. I'd have Barbara be mixed-race, but definitely red-haired.

Green Lantern Corps

John Stewart would be the protagonist, alongside a host of other GL's including Kilowog, Katma Tui, Tomar Re and even the living planet Mogo. This would almost completely be a space-based movie, with the exception of flashbacks to John's life on earth and how Hal Jordan recruited him into the Corps. The villain will be Parallax, in the form of Hal Jordan, the former GL and Stewart's mentor - but there will be a bunch of other villains too, including Sinestro and an appearance by the Manhunters.

The Flash of Two Worlds

So this spins off from the Flashpoint movie and also Black Adam, which introduces the JSA. Its about Barry Allen meeting Jay Garrick, and teaming up with the latter to save the JSA, who've been lost in time. I'd have the likes of Vandal Savage or Per Degaton be the main villain, along with a bunch of classic Flash villains from the Golden Age and the Silver Age. There will be time-travel, alternate realities and a host of pulpy sci-fi goodness.

Green Arrow and Black Canary

Exactly what it says on the tin. A team-up between Green Arrow and Black Canary. This would be a darker film - almost certainly R-rated. I'd love it if it could adapt aspects of The Longbow Hunters arc from the comics.

Justice League: New World Order

The big team-up film. This introduces Martian Manhunter, who's been living on earth secretely for decades and warns the heroes about the impending White Martian invasion. This will be a new 'origin story' for the League - since in the post-Flashpoint timeline, the League never formally got together after the Steppenwolf incident. The major line-up will be Batman, Superman, Wonder Woman, Aquaman, Flash, Martian Manhunter and Green Lantern (the 'Big Seven' finally united on-screen!). But other heroes like Shazam, Cyborg, Green Arrow, Black Canary, Batgirl, Black Adam, the JSA - maybe even Harley Quinn and the Birds of Prey, might all make cameos in one extended battle scene at the end.

Batman & Robin

Time to reclaim the title! Anyway, this will be the long-awaited reunion of the Dynamic Duo on the big-screen - a sequel to Matt Reeves' Batman which showcases Dick Grayson's origin as Robin.

Quote Originally Posted by bat39 View Post

As much as I love Cavill's Superman, I'm guessing this will be a soft reboot with a new actor. Bring Brainiac to the big-screen finally and just have a large scale adventure with all the sci-fi craziness of the Superman mythos unleashed. You have Brainiac, you have his invasion of earth, you have the bottled cities, you have Kandor. Plenty to play with! Also, I'd start the movie off with Clark and Lois getting married in a normal ceremony, and book-end it with Kal-El and Lois getting married in a Kryptonian ceremony on Kandor. Just to lean in to the aspect of Superman being a man of two worlds, and wanting Lois to share in that.

Green Lantern Corps

John Stewart would be the protagonist, alongside a host of other GL's including Kilowog, Katma Tui, Tomar Re and even the living planet Mogo. This would almost completely be a space-based movie, with the exception of flashbacks to John's life on earth and how Hal Jordan recruited him into the Corps. The villain will be Parallax, in the form of Hal Jordan, the former GL and Stewart's mentor - but there will be a bunch of other villains too, including Sinestro and an appearance by the Manhunters.

Exactly what it says on the tin. A team-up between Green Arrow and Black Canary. This would be a darker film - almost certainly R-rated. I'd love it if it could adapt aspects of The Longbow Hunters arc from the comics.
    These three would align nicely with what I'm looking for. And it would add Black Canary into the mix, which is what I was going to bring up next. I'm still looking for a 4th though. Anyone have thoughts on Martian Manhunter, Hawkman or Atom?

(PS I like your JL idea but would hold off till the next phase for a Justice League movie. I'd rather introduce J'onn in a solo film first.)

Quote Originally Posted by Air Wave View Post
    These three would align nicely with what I'm looking for. And it would add Black Canary into the mix, which is what I was going to bring up next. I'm still looking for a 4th though. Anyone have thoughts on Martian Manhunter, Hawkman or Atom?

(PS I like your JL idea but would hold off till the next phase for a Justice League movie. I'd rather introduce J'onn in a solo film first.)
    I’d rather get Hawkgirl over Hawkman and go for the JLU big 7 with Aquaman thrown in. So: Superman, Batman, Wonder Woman, The Flash, Green Lantern (John), Aquaman, Hawkgirl and Martian Manhunter. Shazam and the Shazamily, Black Canary, Mera... etc can be cameos

I doubt Atom will ever get a film due to how similar he is to Ant-Man... so I’d rather get unique characters that differ from the MCu ones like Firestorm, Blue Beetle and Vixen. That would be cool!
    Done with DC. Can't handle the constant whiplash! Time to go on a hiatus!

Quote Originally Posted by bat39 View Post
    Just a nitpick, but I'd argue that in the real-sense, 'Phase 1' was the build-up to Justice League - MOS, BvS, Suicide Squad, WW and JL.

Phase 2 is Aquaman, Shazam, Birds of Prey, WW '84...and eventually The Batman, The Suicide Squad, Black Adam, Shazam 2, The Flash and Aquaman 2.

Phase 1 was marked by a Marvel-style build-up to the big team-up movie, albeit a very rapid build-up. Phase 2 is a course correction that focused more on solo movies and formerly B-list characters like Aquaman, Shazam or Harley Quinn who are now on their way to becoming major characters. Plus, fixing the mistakes (real or perceived) of Phase 1. The Flashpoint movie will likely be the culmination of this course correction - literally resetting continuity.

Going by this, I expect Phase 3 to maybe start the revival of the Justice League concept, while maintaining the individuality of the Phase 2 films.

Here are a few films I'd like to see in Phase 3, in the rough order or release:

Batgirl

Spinning off from Matt Reeves' Batman film, albeit with a lighter tone. This is an origin story for the Barbara Gordon Batgirl. I'd have her be a bit of a prodigy - part computer geek and part martial artist. Her one weakness is that she's a bit of a thrillseeker, and she's inspired by Batman to create the identity of Batgirl to protect the people of Burnside. In a nod to her political background in the Bronze Age comics, I'd start her out as a bit of a community organizer, who decides to turn to vigilantism. Pattison's Batman would make a few cameo appearances, and Jeffrey Wright's Gordon would also be a significant supporting character. I'd have Barbara be mixed-race, but definitely red-haired.

Green Lantern Corps

The Flash of Two Worlds

So this spins off from the Flashpoint movie and also Black Adam, which introduces the JSA. Its about Barry Allen meeting Jay Garrick, and teaming up with the latter to save the JSA, who've been lost in time. I'd have the likes of Vandal Savage or Per Degaton be the main villain, along with a bunch of classic Flash villains from the Golden Age and the Silver Age. There will be time-travel, alternate realities and a host of pulpy sci-fi goodness.

Justice League: New World Order

The big team-up film. This introduces Martian Manhunter, who's been living on earth secretely for decades and warns the heroes about the impending White Martian invasion. This will be a new 'origin story' for the League - since in the post-Flashpoint timeline, the League never formally got together after the Steppenwolf incident. The major line-up will be Batman, Superman, Wonder Woman, Aquaman, Flash, Martian Manhunter and Green Lantern (the 'Big Seven' finally united on-screen!). But other heroes like Shazam, Cyborg, Green Arrow, Black Canary, Batgirl, Black Adam, the JSA - maybe even Harley Quinn and the Birds of Prey, might all make cameos in one extended battle scene at the end.

Batman & Robin

Time to reclaim the title! Anyway, this will be the long-awaited reunion of the Dynamic Duo on the big-screen - a sequel to Matt Reeves' Batman which showcases Dick Grayson's origin as Robin.
    I really don't want to see Superman and Lois getting married. I used to be okay with it, but now I just see it as the step right before we get Superdad in film, and I don't want that take spreading. Just my own preference.

I like the Flash of Two Worlds idea though and suggest following that up with a JSA film proper.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Vakanai View Post
    Good movies not trying to play catch up with Marvel and not worried about the shared universe. That should be the theme.
    The folks in the back didn't hear you......

Just do some movies.

My phase idea- we are aiming for decent budget-below $100 million films. Give the folks who are working on Superman and Batman time to get it right or decent.
    Easter eggs for the film would mention them doing this or that in the background of a news cast or news paper or Twitter.

This would be above using lesser properties.

1) Question-Vic version and have Rene pop up to piggyback off of BOP. Rene will NOT take over but work with Victor.

2) Naomi (if it can be decent budget)

3) Firestorm (see above)-I would push for Jason/Ronnie version than Stein/Ronnie. Maybe have Stein get kidnapped and Ronnie get stuck with Jason.

4) Blue Beetle (another budget concern for Jaime)