View Poll Results: Which story focus is your favorite for Wonder Woman?

Voters
49. You may not vote on this poll
  • Adventures relating to Greek Mythology

24 48.98%
  • The Amazons, Hippolyta, & Themyscira

20 40.82%
  • World War 1 or 2 and her relatinoship with Steve Trevor

16 32.65%
  • Her struggles to fight against/reform her (Earthly) Rogues Gallery

27 55.10%
  • Her Humanitarian/Social Change Efforts

16 32.65%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Extraordinary Member Lightning Rider's Avatar

Default Which type of Wonder Woman story is your favorite?

I thought it would be fun to get a sense of what WW fans prefer the focus of her stories to be. Obviously these story elements are often intertwined and don't need to be mutually exclusive, but the primary focus can and does shift around. Which of these elements do you prefer to be the focus and find themselves dominating your favorite WW stories/runs?

EDIT: I made more than one choice selectable
    Last edited by Lightning Rider; 02-05-2020 at 08:09 PM.

Incredible Member

Adventures relating to Greek mythology.

But, ideally encompassing her struggles to fight against / reform her rogues gallery (e.g. potential "villains" with backstories which make them sympathetic if not understandable, like Arachne, Medusa, Circe, etc).

And if that can tie into her humanitarian / social change efforts that would be awesome. For example, when fighting Circe who could have a misandrist view, Diana would challenge it with her own feminist views.

And if we could throw in a personal moral / ethical dilemma for Diana at the same time, that would be event better. The duality of Diana as a "warrior princess" who fights with compassion for peace and understanding is really interesting to me. And I think it's something most writers put in the "too hard basket" in favour of a sword-first approach to Diana. Seeing Diana challenged on a more personal level is, for me, far more satisfying than seeing her challenged solely from a physical perspective. It's harder to change someone's mind than it is to just punch them.

Incredible Member

See, I find this hard because I actually like a variety of all those types of stories happening in the book on a regular rotation. When Brian Azzarello focused purely on the Greek Gods for long stretches of time, that left out so many other aspects of Diana's life. When Diana is purely fighting Justice League bad guys in outer space, that starts to bore me too. But it seems like when we spend too much time with the Amazons, for the sake of drama they start to fight amongst themselves and that can often be disappointing because I like to think of them as a pretty harmonious society. And if you only tell stories about Diana in the modern world stopping Cheetah or Angle Man or Doctor Psycho or whoever, then you're kind of limiting her to being exactly the same kind of superhero as the Flash and Batman and Superman, when her mission is much bigger than that. And very few writers have been allowed to tell stories about Diana trying to broker peace and fight misogyny and damaging societal norms, and not all of those writers have been successful in those stories. They aren't easy to tell without overly simplifying what should be rather complex issues. I absolutely want to see Diana as a feminist icon trying to empower women, for example, but how many stories are we going to tell about Diana making a little girl feel good about herself? That can get kind of old and preachy fast.

So I think all of those things in small doses balance each other out. You need to tell stories about Diana stopping costumed criminals, while still telling stories about her trying to prevent world wars and open people's eyes to their bigotries and fears, while keeping the Amazons as regular supporting characters in the book and the gods a constant threat and source of entertainment.

Truthfully, I haven't really read a Wonder Woman story that I thought did the romance part all that well. I've liked what Rucka has done with Steve Trevor, but then again I also kind of liked what Gail Simone did with Nemesis...and I like what Eric Luke did with Rama and Diana, although that kind of happened rather quickly and then was brushed off. I guess I just haven't seen a story where I'm happy that Diana is in love. It just seems like she has so many other more important things to do.

Have they revisited that girlfriend that Diana had on the island before she left, in Rucka's Year One?
    Last edited by DisneyBoy; 02-05-2020 at 08:56 PM.

Those that deal with the Amazons, Hippolyta, & Themyscira are my personal, followed by those that deal with Greek Mythology.
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

Superheroic/action/adventure/thriller/mystery/space opera/mythological epic/sci-fi/romance/dramedy.

Pretty much agree with DisneyBoy. I want stories with a variety of settings, problems, and relations. Also a greater focus on one-shots.

I do agree that we currently have too many stories based on gods and mythological problems, and would rather see stories focused on "regular" antagonists. I also would like to see the Amazons more. One way to sidestep the Amazons fighting themselves could be to have Diana tell stories about the Amazons (it's a framework that The Phantom has used very successfully). Like that Diana tells the "true" story of Achilles, who happens to be a trans woman and the daughter of an Amazon.

And no, Kasia hasn't reappeared. Not sure why Wilson didn't use her in the return to Themyscira.
    «Speaking generally, it is because of the desire of the tragic poets for the marvellous that so varied and inconsistent an account of Medea has been given out» (Diodorus Siculus, The Library of History [4.56.1])

I like social justice stories but not when they scream "MESSAGE!" and hit you over the head. Give me some subtlety, innuendo and allegories, that was one thing in which G. Willow Wilson excelled. Rucka was good at it too and William Messner-Loebs addressed the intersection of class and race brilliantly.

Preferably Wonder Woman would be a mixture of all these kinds of stories so every element of her fandom gets serviced. However the gods are getting kind of stale. It's time for another shake-up, the last one turned them into pseudo superheroes and villains when they should be forces of nature. They need a measured subtlety and vagueness too.

Spectacular Member

All those mentioned, with Steve Trevor. Why should he be in only one categorie ?

And no, Kasia hasn't reappeared. Not sure why Wilson didn't use her in the return to Themyscira.
    A call this a missed opportunity. Seems recurent in comic books in general, not only in wonder woman.

Quote Originally Posted by Manakel View Post
    All those mentioned, with Steve Trevor. Why should he be in only one categorie ?
    Yeah I guess Steve could fit anywhere, but a sizeable portion of readers associate him with the past, and he's going to feature more strongly in her origin tales.

They LAUGHED at my theory SteveGus's Avatar

I like all of those different types of stories, provided that they are told with the light and whimsical touch and tone that makes her different from other superheroes.
    "At what point do we say, 'You're mucking with our myths'?" - Harlan Ellison

Quote Originally Posted by SteveGus View Post
    I like all of those different types of stories, provided that they are told with the light and whimsical touch and tone that makes her different from other superheroes.
    That's an interesting characterization, I'm not sure I would call her celebrated runs light and whimsical, though they are more inspiring and positive than most others, I find.

Spectacular Member

There is one kind of story i would like to see because it is very rarely done : men abused and beaten by their wife. Since Wonder Woman is such a feminist icon and empowering women, i think it would interesting to see a story were roles are reversed and this time the women do the abuse.

Quote Originally Posted by Manakel View Post
    There is one kind of story i would like to see because it is very rarely done : men abused and beaten by their wife. Since Wonder Woman is such a feminist icon and empowering women, i think it would interesting to see a story were roles are reversed and this time the women do the abuse.
    I think in a broader story that would be a cool inclusion.

WW's main goal in life is to help people, and it's nice to see stories that are focused on that.

Astonishing Member WillieMorgan's Avatar

The first two options are intrinsically linked for me so I opted for both.

I like the 'fantasy' world building elements of Wonder Woman best. Similar with Aquaman actually.
    Lower The Pissing Winch!