View Poll Results: Which story focus is your favorite for Wonder Woman?

Voters
49. You may not vote on this poll
  • Adventures relating to Greek Mythology

24 48.98%
  • The Amazons, Hippolyta, & Themyscira

20 40.82%
  • World War 1 or 2 and her relatinoship with Steve Trevor

16 32.65%
  • Her struggles to fight against/reform her (Earthly) Rogues Gallery

27 55.10%
  • Her Humanitarian/Social Change Efforts

16 32.65%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

I voted for WWI and II stories. Keep in mind I have still only read a relative handful of Wonder Woman comics and by far my favorite is The Legend of Wonder Woman.

Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

Voted all but the first option because I am sick to death of Greek mythology and I'm of Greek descent. It's just beyond played out. Diana has a great Rogues gallery but if all DC is going to do is mine the public domain then the public can be forgiven for thinking she has no rogues gallery.

Step it up, DC. And don't do to Diana what you do to Clark by taking his best and making them Justice League villains. Elevate Diana's villains and keep them her villains.

Extraordinary Member Lightning Rider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Robanker View Post
    Voted all but the first option because I am sick to death of Greek mythology and I'm of Greek descent. It's just beyond played out. Diana has a great Rogues gallery but if all DC is going to do is mine the public domain then the public can be forgiven for thinking she has no rogues gallery.

Step it up, DC. And don't do to Diana what you do to Clark by taking his best and making them Justice League villains. Elevate Diana's villains and keep them her villains.
    Would you throw it away altogether, or are there more interesting ways to use it?

For me I think just using a god as a villain is lazy, but using the moral lesson surrounding a god's particular myth as a theme for the story works better.

All those mentioned, with Steve Trevor. Why should he be in only one categorie ?
    That's what I was thinking. I want Steve and Etta in the present and Diana to be fighting rogues. I also don't want Steve and Etta tied to origin anymore than I want Lois or Commissioner Gordon tied to origin (and fading out later, I mean). They should all be part of present to me. Then again, I'm in favor of a sliding timeline instead of having Diana's debut tied to World War II (or any other specific real-world event). As with others, I'm tired of the mythology aspect (wasn't fond of it as a major aspect to begin with). Social justice is a good thing, but the primary purpose of a story should be to entertain, not to moralize. I don't want to read after-school-special-like comics, even when I agree with the messaging. They're generally either annoying or boring. I will, however, have a caveat here - they can work for a different audience - kids, in particular, I think are good at just enjoying stories that are anviliciously obvious to adults. I mean, I liked Captain Planet as a kid, but I don't think I could handle it as an adult. And I do think having stories that appeal to younger readers as well as adults (and sometimes even instead of adults) can be a good move, if the comics can be made easily accessible/purchaseable by children.
    Last edited by Tzigone; 03-01-2020 at 10:02 AM.

Astonishing Member mathew101281's Avatar

All of the above,
    I enjoy Myth based stories but feel that she shouldn’t be limited to just Greek myths. Myth is a broad subject and their is literally a multitude of cool characters from myths around the world that could be interesting additions to Diana’s world.

The Amazons and their island is cool But kind of over used. The whole point of Wonderwoman is that she leaves the island.

Wonderwoman’s rogue’s are more underdeveloped Rather then bad. They need to clarify why they are Wonderwoman villains rather then generic villains that just happen to fight Wonderwoman.

Quote Originally Posted by mathew101281 View Post
    All of the above,
    I enjoy Myth based stories but feel that she shouldn’t be limited to just Greek myths. Myth is a broad subject and their is literally a multitude of cool characters from myths around the world that could be interesting additions to Diana’s world.

The Amazons and their island is cool But kind of over used. The whole point of Wonderwoman is that she leaves the island.

Wonderwoman’s rogue’s are more underdeveloped Rather then bad. They need to clarify why they are Wonderwoman villains rather then generic villains that just happen to fight Wonderwoman.
    Or cross-pollinated? Imagine if the mythic villains suddenly got power rings. Deva feels like an ideal Yellow Lantern. Circe as Orange feels right.

That would irritate me even more. I'm already tired of the mythological stories we have, I certainly don't want to see more. There is zero reason for a Greek myth-based (in the broadest sense) character to have enemies specifically from other mythologies, IMO. Seems more generic.

During the Lobes-Messner run they had her going to space and that is one of my favorite Wonder Woman stories....I want to see more stuff like that.

Astonishing Member mathew101281's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Tzigone View Post
    That would irritate me even more. I'm already tired of the mythological stories we have, I certainly don't want to see more. There is zero reason for a Greek myth-based (in the broadest sense) character to have enemies specifically from other mythologies, IMO. Seems more generic.
    I don’t understand the desire to remove the mythic element from Wonderwoman. Wonderwoman is a myth based character. She’s not female Superman. I feel that she and Aquaman should be the pillars of a myth based corner of the DCU. I don’t see how just making her another flying brick type is going to help her stand out.

I don’t understand the desire to remove the mythic element from Wonderwoman. Wonderwoman is a myth based character. She’s not female Superman. I feel that she and Aquaman should be the pillars of a myth based corner of the DCU. I don’t see how just making her another flying brick type is going to help her stand out.
    It's possible you misunderstand Tzigone. They seem more opposed to include random characters from other myth complexes than the Greek one as Wonder Woman antagonists and allies, like dropping in Tezcatlipoca in Wonder Woman #52.

To a degree I agree with that. One of the characteristics of mythic stories is that they exist in a context. Dropping in a character named Odin as an antagonist (or ally) isn't going to make a story mythic. You need to bring in an understanding of Odin's signficance in the Nordic mythology, his symbology, the Norse cosmology, and storytelling traditions in order to make the tale "mythic". Otherwise, you just have a cookiecutter character named "Odin".

Two creators who understands that are Liam Sharp and Tynion. Sharp put Batman and Wonder Woman in a celtic mythology in 2018 The Brave and the Bold, and it was clear that he understood the pieces he worked with. And Tynion has been doing a bang-up job of situating Wonder Woman in DC's homegrown horror-and-magic mythology in Justice League Dark.
    «Speaking generally, it is because of the desire of the tragic poets for the marvellous that so varied and inconsistent an account of Medea has been given out» (Diodorus Siculus, The Library of History [4.56.1])

One thing I thoroughly enjoyed about Gail Simones run is that we had adventures in Themyscira with Amazons and Hippolyta and Nazis(!), Wonder Woman fighting, subduing and subjegating Grodds gorrilla warriors, a sword and sorcery story with a demon, a space/gods story, a new powerhouse villain, male amazons, a side adventure with black canary, non myth villains like Queen of fables, green lanterns on another planet. and on and on. This is the type of writing and variety that Wonder Woman needs and deserves.

The Greek Mythology stuff has become very tiresome, the WW2 stories are usually pretty vanilla and the humanitarian stories are god awful and usually exposes a profound geopolitical ignorance. So I voted Rogues Gallery.
    #InGunnITrust, #ZackSnyderistheBlueprint, #ReleasetheAyerCut

Boisterously Confused

I'd rather they not remove the mythic element, but there's no reason it need be the only thing WW does. I'm with those in the camp that say do less of it to make room for a variety of other adventure types. Aliens, supervillains, mad scientists, monsters from earth's hollow core, other-dimensional entities so strange their very existence is antithetical to ours...bring 'em all on! Let's not abandon myth, but maybe spend a bit less time there.

Spectacular Member

I'd rather they not remove the mythic element, but there's no reason it need be the only thing WW does. I'm with those in the camp that say do less of it to make room for a variety of other adventure types. Aliens, supervillains, mad scientists, monsters from earth's hollow core, other-dimensional entities so strange their very existence is antithetical to ours...bring 'em all on! Let's not abandon myth, but maybe spend a bit less time there.
    I dream of an appearence of the endless...

Voted for "Greek myth," "WWII" and "humanitarianism."

The Greek stuff is great, though DC leans on it too heavily for my tastes. Not a lot of characters in comics deal with ancient myth to the extent of Diana, and its a great source of material to pull from.

The World War II stuff.....I like her in that setting but more to the point I like exploring her dynamic with the military industrial complex. Diana's pragmatic while being idealistic; she's a warrior and royal. She gets the need of a strong military but she's also a foreign agent operating on US soil. There's a lot of really cool stuff to do there, a lot of complications and contrasts to pull from. And there's not many DC heroes who work with government authority, so it gives Diana a unique niche.

And the humanitarian stuff I kind of role in with politics. Diana's mission is to convert humanity to the Amazonian philosophy. How she does that, the pushback she gets from it, and the places (perhaps sometimes surprising places) where it takes root is all fascinating stuff to consider.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.