Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Post Donna Troy: Featuring in Solo

Donna Troy(Prime Earth)
    6203FD04-2589-4CDD-A0C3-6AB0FEB627ED.jpg
    Why doesn't Donna Troy featuring in solo? She seems cool, but why? Starfire and Batgirl have their own, so maybe Donna Troy can have too...

Starfire's solo ended years ago, after 12 issues. She doesn't currently have one.
    You are my favorite thing, Peter. My very favorite thing.

Yeah, Starfire's book ended because of Rebirth - she went to Teen Titans and then Justice League Odyssey.

The problem with Donna is, she doesn't have a codename. Would the book be called Troy?

It is odd that neither of the Wonder Girls has ever had her own series. Look at the other New Teen Titans. Nightwing's had a book since the 90s (the only time there hasn't been a Nightwing book is when Grayson was running and when he was Batman). Cyborg had solos in the 2010s, so did Raven (though hers were limited series), and as mentioned, Starfire. Beast Boy had one in the 2000s. Wally had his own book (as the Flash) from the mid 80s through the late 2000s and has a mini series running currently. But Donna? Nada, zilch, nothing, zero. It's the same for Cassie - Impulse, Robin and Superboy all had solos, but she was exclusive to Young Justice and Teen Titans, her only solo being a one-shot just before the New 52 reboot, which wasn't even entirely about her (since it was the debut of Solstice, the last pre-reboot new member of the Teen Titans).
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

BANNED

Donna Troy is honestly a mess of a character. Like, a train wreck of one. She's confusing. Conflicting. Messy as all get out with her Terry baggage...which NO ONE seems to like. She has no niche in the DC Universe, despite extremely awkward attempts to give her one (a Darkstar...really!?) Some blonde girl from I don't even know where (I'm sorry, I can't be bothered to keep up with all this crap, her relation to Wonder Woman and Donna Troy always seemed tangential to me) usurped her name, and so on.
    Last edited by Vampire Savior; 02-06-2020 at 06:20 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    Yeah, Starfire's book ended because of Rebirth - she went to Teen Titans and then Justice League Odyssey.

The problem with Donna is, she doesn't have a codename. Would the book be called Troy?

It is odd that neither of the Wonder Girls has ever had her own series. Look at the other New Teen Titans. Nightwing's had a book since the 90s (the only time there hasn't been a Nightwing book is when Grayson was running and when he was Batman). Cyborg had solos in the 2010s, so did Raven (though hers were limited series), and as mentioned, Starfire. Beast Boy had one in the 2000s. Wally had his own book (as the Flash) from the mid 80s through the late 2000s and has a mini series running currently. But Donna? Nada, zilch, nothing, zero. It's the same for Cassie - Impulse, Robin and Superboy all had solos, but she was exclusive to Young Justice and Teen Titans, her only solo being a one-shot just before the New 52 reboot, which wasn't even entirely about her (since it was the debut of Solstice, the last pre-reboot new member of the Teen Titans).
    Not having a code name wasn't an issue with Luke Cage and Jessica Jones.

Donna Troy is better than any code name they could come up with.

I really doesn't like the way they treat Donna Troy and Cassie Sandsmark, because they don't give them a solo feature. So unfair for them like Batman Family is always the star, too much favoritism...

Quote Originally Posted by ExoPink View Post
    I really doesn't like the way they treat Donna Troy and Cassie Sandsmark, because they don't give them a solo feature. So unfair for them like Batman Family is always the star, too much favoritism...
    Batman and his family are generally better sellers. It's not favoritism.

I have always liked Donna and I wish they would fix her for good. I think one of the issues with her post-crisis is being divorced and having had kids adds the notion of age that DC does not want to tack on to her generation.
    Pulls: Batman, Detective Comics, SiKtC, Catwoman, Nightwing, Titans, Godzilla, Wonder Woman, Batman & Robin, Brave and the Bold, No/One, Kill your Darlings, and Deviant.
    My runs: Batman #230-, and Detective #420-

Retired

It was nice to see Shakira's back-up dancers paying tribute to Donna Troy in their outfits for the Super Bowl halftime show.

I see what you mean (can't post the image here though, the two images I found on Google images can't be accessed - part of the urls for Billboard get swear blocked when I copy the link to here and Chicago Tribune is blocked in Europe).

Quote Originally Posted by SixSpeedSamurai View Post
    Batman and his family are generally better sellers. It's not favoritism.

I have always liked Donna and I wish they would fix her for good. I think one of the issues with her post-crisis is being divorced and having had kids adds the notion of age that DC does not want to tack on to her generation.
    Probably doesn't help that Terry Long was much older than her. She was still a teenager when they got married.

But the big problem is that Crisis negated her origin (as well as Lilith's) due to Wonder Woman getting rebooted, but Titans not. They should've either not restarted any characters at all, and just had the Earth 2 characters and Shazam inserted into the main Earth's continuity, or rebooted everyone.
    Last edited by Digifiend; 02-06-2020 at 07:52 AM.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    It's the same for Cassie - Impulse, Robin and Superboy all had solos, but she was exclusive to Young Justice and Teen Titans, her only solo being a one-shot just before the New 52 reboot, which wasn't even entirely about her (since it was the debut of Solstice, the last pre-reboot new member of the Teen Titans).
    Actually, Cassie has a 6-issue miniseries by J. Torres. I don't know that it did especially well, but it was collected in TP format.

Wonder Woman barely holds her own in sales much of the time, and is largely only published to keep the rights.

Yet you expect Diet Wonder Woman to front a solo?
    Every day is a gift, not a given right.

Astonishing Member

The Donna Troy mini-series sold well in the past, as did her GirlFrenzy one-shot special.

Could a long time series featuring her sell well enough for the long term?

Probably not--but that doesn't stop DC from giving a bunch of other unpopular randoms their series. (Some obvious "can't sell" properties get multiple attempts even)

Retired

These days how many books sell that well to justify their existence, based solely on floppy hard copy sales? It seems counter-intuitive to me that DC produces so many titles with such low print runs when they used to produce far fewer titles when they had larger print runs and bigger sales for floppies. But I reason that they get their money in the end because the comics are sold digitally and then offered on other services like DC Universe and appear in collected editions and anthologies. So a single story doesn't have to pay for itself in one print run, because DC can exploit the same content over and over again. They probably would make enough money eventually on a Donna Troy title of some sort.

The other benefit is that they can work out the right approach to the character through a comic book. Which is far cheaper than producing cartoons, movies, games or dolls. I mean, I'd like them to eventually figure out the character. She'd make a good heroine for a movie--but first they need to settle on who she is. Remember when Sandra Bullock almost played Donna Troy? At the time, I thought that was a bad idea--but in hindsight it probably would have generated a lot more interest in the property.

DC seems gun shy to publish a lot of books lately. The Wonder imprint seems to be the only one that will put out a book for a lesser character.
    Pulls: Batman, Detective Comics, SiKtC, Catwoman, Nightwing, Titans, Godzilla, Wonder Woman, Batman & Robin, Brave and the Bold, No/One, Kill your Darlings, and Deviant.
    My runs: Batman #230-, and Detective #420-

Donna Troy is not "Diet Wonder Woman" but the fact people have that impression means DC hasn't done enough with her. She's far more flexible than Wonder Woman because she's not an icon, can make more mistakes and doesn't have to be written as constantly having the moral high ground. To use a sorry "Friends" analogy, if Diana is a Monica, then Donna is a Rachel. She's still the girl next door but with more flaws and an edge. That's why DC seems to be always trying to darken her, but the question they should be answering is "What can Donna Troy do that Wonder Woman can't?".