Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Since it's Sony, they would never do it, but I could see a hard-R bloodfest for Kraven as "antiquated great white hunter archetype turned horror movie villain." Maybe if Raimi wanted to go R again, it could be fun.

Quote Originally Posted by Gaastra View Post
    Slingers is in the works with dusk the main hero along with a jackpot movie.
    I loved the Joe Casey/ChrissCross series until it went off the rails with the Mephisto stuff. I hope a Slingers movie would capture some of that "young heroes dynamic" that was so strong in that. Once you take away Spider-Man, it's a fairly blank slate.

Boisterously Confused

Quote Originally Posted by Vakanai View Post
    Because if they don't try to catch the Superhero movie boom they're letting possibly billions of dollars just sit on the table. The only sense this needs to make is dollars and cents. As dumb as making a Kraven movie is, and I agree it is dumb, from a "this is all we possibly have to even attempt making some of that sweet sweet superhero movie money" position it would be an act of sheer and unbridled lunacy to not make a Kraven movie or whatever Marvel property they have. Like legit, if I were a stockholder, and Sony Pictures declared they had no desire to even try and make bank on their Marvel properties, I would flat out demand for them to be fired and replaced asap.

You keep looking from this as a "what makes sense for me the fan" perspective, instead of the "holy freaking shit my only job is too make the stockholders as much gods damned dirty money as I possibly can" CEO/executive position.

I never said we shouldn't be skeptical of it - we should be skeptical as hell about this! I'm only arguing that they'd be foolish in the most extreme for their business if they didn't try to get in on the superhero film biz.
    You make very good points. As for the underlined, well, I can see somebody once saying "Let me get this straight Lucas, you want to make a big budget film about an archeology professor with a whip?"

Now, not for a second do I see a Kraven film as the second coming of Raiders of the Lost Ark, but what works is sometimes surprising.

Quote Originally Posted by Vakanai View Post
    Because if they don't try to catch the Superhero movie boom they're letting possibly billions of dollars just sit on the table. The only sense this needs to make is dollars and cents. As dumb as making a Kraven movie is, and I agree it is dumb, from a "this is all we possibly have to even attempt making some of that sweet sweet superhero movie money" position it would be an act of sheer and unbridled lunacy to not make a Kraven movie or whatever Marvel property they have. Like legit, if I were a stockholder, and Sony Pictures declared they had no desire to even try and make bank on their Marvel properties, I would flat out demand for them to be fired and replaced asap.

You keep looking from this as a "what makes sense for me the fan" perspective, instead of the "holy freaking shit my only job is too make the stockholders as much gods damned dirty money as I possibly can" CEO/executive position.

I never said we shouldn't be skeptical of it - we should be skeptical as hell about this! I'm only arguing that they'd be foolish in the most extreme for their business if they didn't try to get in on the superhero film biz.
    I mean, I don't think I'm just looking at it from a fan perspective because I feel like even objectively it seems like a really desperate, hedging your bets, move when you're desperate for IP's when you've only really got Spider-Man.

I hope they do a lizard movie next.

Astonishing Member

If Sony is brave enough to do solo movies like Venom, Morbius, and Kraven then other franchises should take a page out of their playbook. Make more solo movies out of supporting characters. Keep the budget low enough. Make supporting characters the star. Sulu? Bones McCoy? Tico? Finn? Ben Solo? So many possibilities. Yeah Solo bombed because the budget was out of control. Tighten the leash and watch the profit come in.

Well in a world where this stuff and Joker exists I'd love A Bane film. Story about a genius raised in a Latin prison. Have him end up as a rebellion leader in Santa Prisca. Hint at his darker side and show his addiction to Venom. But framing it that way he's the hero of the story. Or just have the film be about a boy surviving Peno Duro until he finally escapes as a man. Don't really need him to lead a rebellion. Yea nevermind just make Shawshank meets Arham Asylum. I feel like you can do alot with just a prison story. The challenges he faced being raised there. Him being experimented on with Venom and becoming addicted. Then the Climax is the prison break. Now you would need a kid actor and a younger actor. I don't know who you get because I think Bautista is too old for a bane Origin story.

Anyway wonder what they will do narratively to make Kraven the hero of the story. Have him hunt down beasts that are a threat to people. If he's just hunting Lion ans bears it might piss people off. Wonder if you gotta make him hunt mutates. Vermin,Iguana,Armadillo,Lizard etc....

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I mean, I don't think I'm just looking at it from a fan perspective because I feel like even objectively it seems like a really desperate, hedging your bets, move when you're desperate for IP's when you've only really got Spider-Man.
    I think this is where we kind of have a disconnect. You kind of just answered the question of why Sony needs to make movies like this - it IS "a really desperate, hedging your bets, move when you're desperate for IP's when you've only really got Spider-Man" - they have nothing else in this space, they're really desperate, they need to hedge their bets, and they have no other IPs. They've only got Spider-Man and Spidey related characters, and in an era where IP is everything and the superhero film is king and billion dollar blockbusters are a god? Again, if I were a stockholder, and looking to squeeze every god loving dime from them, and they didn't do this I'd make heads roll. I can't imagine any argument from a business "make me money" perspective to not do this. They're not in this just to make good stories and art, they're trying to make as much money as possible, and in today's Hollywood that means they gotta abuse their superhero properties right now.

Quote Originally Posted by choptop View Post
    I hope they do a lizard movie next.
    I was hoping for a Doc Ock film myself. Dan Slott and Christos Gage did a lot recently showcasing Otto as a hero and a villian. So you could reverse engineer that material and have him go from hero to villian or vice versa.

You could pitch it as breaking bad meets Spiderman.
    Last edited by the illustrious mr. kenway; 05-29-2021 at 06:12 AM.

Ultimate Member

So why exactly do villains get these kinds of movies, but not heroes?

Quote Originally Posted by Mik View Post
    So why exactly do villains get these kinds of movies, but not heroes?
    Villian centered superhero movies are a more recent thing. But Hollywood has always done negative change arc movies. If you wanna get technical, the Godfather is a villian protagonist series.

Plus Spiderman villians are the most popular characters sony has besides Spidey himself. I think there were villian spinoff planned during the Webb/Garfield years. So Sony is just exploring that angle.

They do have other heroes like Nightwatch, Jackpot, Dusk from the Slingers, Silk and Silver Sable announced. So it's not like Sony has completely given up on heroes.
    Last edited by the illustrious mr. kenway; 05-29-2021 at 07:47 AM.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by the illustrious mr. kenway View Post
    Villian centered superhero movies are a more recent thing. But Hollywood has always done negative change arc movies. If you wanna get technical, the Godfather is a villian protagonist series.

Plus Spiderman villians are the most popular characters sony has besides Spidey himself. I think there were villian spinoff planned during the Webb/Garfield years. So Sony is just exploring that angle.

They do have other heroes like Nightwatch, Jackpot, Dusk from the Slingers, Silk and Silver Sable announced. So it's not like Sony has completely given up on heroes.
    It just seems to me like Sony is trying to compete with the MCU without the material to back it up. I like seeing Spider-Man's villains actually fight Spider-Man, or even some other Spider-hero. Even though I didn't hate Venom, I still don't get the point of Venom without Spider-Man.

It just seems to me like Sony is trying to compete with the MCU without the material to back it up. I like seeing Spider-Man's villains actually fight Spider-Man, or even some other Spider-hero. Even though I didn't hate Venom, I still don't get the point of Venom without Spider-Man.
    It didn't stir you at all to see Venom fight against the slightly-more-evil Grey Venom at the end, when they turned into an amorphous mass of CGI blobs?

Boisterously Confused

Of course, when Iron Man went into production, it was Marvel Studios that was presumed to lack the material to compete with the Bat- and X-franchises. Where you may have a point is that Sony doesn't have a Feige to manage it's films.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Frobisher View Post
    It didn't stir you at all to see Venom fight against the slightly-more-evil Grey Venom at the end, when they turned into an amorphous mass of CGI blobs?
    Oh, that was the highlight of my life!

Quote Originally Posted by DrNewGod View Post
    Of course, when Iron Man went into production, it was Marvel Studios that was presumed to lack the material to compete with the Bat- and X-franchises. Where you may have a point is that Sony doesn't have a Feige to manage it's films.
    Yeah, but Marvel Studios' problem was more perceived than real. Iron Man and co. have plenty of comic book lore. While characters like Venom also do, they're tied to Spider-Man, especially Venom of all villains. I think you're right about Sony not really having good oversight. But even with that, Spider-Man alone can't create a massive cinematic universe on par with the MCU. In fact, I'd argue Marvel Studios actually had the best properties to more easily create a stable cinematic universe

Essentially the Sonyverse is the Dark Universe 2.0 so I agree with you. I'm curious if they are gonna succeed but I'm not gonna lie about the difficulties.

Ironically the Fox X-men universe felt like a safer bet than the Sonyverse. Even in the comics, the X-men feel like a universe onto themselves

I'd say it's better they create that material for themselves than just relying on canon. Creators are paid to create after all.

Don't get me wrong they should use the canon. But it should be a starting point rather then an end point.

Venom is a popular character that spunoff into his own IP. He had a film in the works for years. They probably were gonna spin him off the Garfield films but those films struggled and Sony started to deal with Marvel. So they just decided to just jump the gun and see if he could work on his own.
    Last edited by the illustrious mr. kenway; 05-29-2021 at 10:01 AM.