Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default How the Status Quo could change during 5G

With things at DC steadily moving forward towards 5G, I was thinking last night about how the rapid changes in character age could impact titles and relationships within the Batfamily.

Acting with the assumption that additions to the Batfamily during New 52 and Rebirth (like Luke, Harper, and Duke) age differently than pre-Flashpoint members, then:
    • Harper and Duke are probably closer to Damian's age than the rest of the family (late teens to early twenties versus mid-teens)
    • Tim, Steph, and Cass are all somewhere in their mid-twenties
    • Luke is somewhere between his mid-and-late twenties
    • Jason is late twenties/early thirties
    • Kate is younger than Dick, but not by much (and was not present during Thomas and Martha's funeral)
    • Jean-Paul is somewhere between Kate and Dick (though if we assume he sticks around, then we've got some of the dead/rebirth time shenanigans that Jason Todd's timeline deals with
    • Dick Grayson and Barbara Gordon are somewhere in their thirties

Now that will change a lot of relationships, for example, Cassandra and Harper's (especially with DC saying every story matters).

What do you think, hope, or anticipate for the 5G Status Quo?
    I'm currently reading Batman, Detective Comics, DCeased: Dead Planet, Dark Knights: Death Metal, Daredevil, Thor, Nightwing, The Rise of Ultraman and Red Hood and The Outlaws. I'm also trade-waiting the Hickman-era of X-Men comics.

Astonishing Member

Cass,steph, Harper are going to go to the dark place julia pennyworth is being kept aren't they ?

Quote Originally Posted by Dthirds3 View Post
    Cass,steph, Harper are going to go to the dark place julia pennyworth is being kept aren't they ?
    Harper and Steph might (Harper pretty much is already) but Cass has a sizable enough fanbase, inherent coolness of being a ninja fighting machine, plus the ethnic diversity aspect to keep her around. I'm more worried for Duke than Cass, the way DC quickly shelved Luke once Duke fully became Signal has me worried they'll shelf him once Luke becomes Batman and is put front & center.
    Last edited by lemonpeace; 02-07-2020 at 11:33 AM.
    THE SIGNAL (Duke Thomas) is DC's secret shonen protagonist so I made him a fandom wiki

also, check out "The Signal Tape" a Duke Thomas fan project.

currently following:
    • DC: Red Hood: The Hill
    • Marvel: TBD
    • Manga (Shonen/Seinen): One Piece, My Hero, Dandadan, Jujutsu Kaisen, Kaiju No. 8, Reincarnation of The Veteran Soldier, Oblivion Rouge, ORDEAL, The Breaker: Eternal Force

"power does not corrupt, power always reveals."

BANNED

I just wish that Cass and Steph time as Batgirl was restored and respected.

I could care less about Duke as he didn’t really grow on me. Luke Fox however should be backed up by his sister Tana Fox who is also the same age as Tim, Cass and Stephanie.

Have Lucias and family know that Bruce is Batman and have them be like a secondary family to Bruce during his crusade. In fact, having Lucias be like a secondary conscience to Bruce besides Alfred would be an interesting sight to see.
    Last edited by Cmbmool; 02-06-2020 at 02:08 PM.

I don't know how DC handles these characters I question if this status quo will matter.

Quote Originally Posted by AmiMizuno View Post
    I don't know how DC handles these characters I question if this status quo will matter.
    I agree. I wouldn’t put too much merit or weight on this status quo as it’ll be destroyed to go back to the status quo most people prefer.

Quote Originally Posted by lemonpeace View Post
    Harper and Steph might (Harper pretty is already) but Cass has a sizable enough fanbase, inherent coolness of being a ninja fighting machine, plus the ethnic diversity aspect to keep her around. I'm more worried for Duke than Cass, the way DC quickly shelved Luke once Duke fully became Signal has me worried they'll shelf him once Luke becomes Batman and is put front & center.
    Lol, you know the quota "rule of one" just can't have more than one black male hero doing anything cause then it will be considered a "gang"

Harper and Steph might (Harper pretty is already) but Cass has a sizable enough fanbase, inherent coolness of being a ninja fighting machine, plus the ethnic diversity aspect to keep her around. I'm more worried for Duke than Cass, the way DC quickly shelved Luke once Duke fully became Signal has me worried they'll shelf him once Luke becomes Batman and is put front & center.
    I'm optimistic that Duke will still be active during 5G, I can't see anything huge happening to him in Batman and The Outsiders, and I think he's a well-liked character. If Signal is brought back into Gotham, which books would you like to see him in? I'm thinking Detective Comics, Batman, or Nightwing.

In my opinion Steph's utilization in 5G will all depend on whether or not Bendis is using her in the Wonder Comics imprint and Young Justice.
    I'm currently reading Batman, Detective Comics, DCeased: Dead Planet, Dark Knights: Death Metal, Daredevil, Thor, Nightwing, The Rise of Ultraman and Red Hood and The Outlaws. I'm also trade-waiting the Hickman-era of X-Men comics.

Someone in the Bat office has plans for Tim and Steph, so I wouldn't be surprised if those two leave Young Justice when 5G triggers.

The Teen Titans Annual out in April has I WAS ROBIN on the cover... it looks like Damian is either quitting or getting fired. So 5G might have a new Robin to go with the new Batman.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Bluebird

Short of being added back into the comics due to media synergy reasons, I sadly don’t think any writer is going to remember that Bluebird exists.

Savior of the Universe Flash Gordon's Avatar

These 'status quos' and the stories that are made to illustrate a change in them, are my least favourite thing about mainstream comics. Just tell some good stories.

Quote Originally Posted by Flash Gordon View Post
    These 'status quos' and the stories that are made to illustrate a change in them, are my least favourite thing about mainstream comics. Just tell some good stories.
    that would require fans to not flip their **** whenever any major change occurs or for DC to stick to their guns with their creative choices and letting their talent develop their characters and ideas organically.
    THE SIGNAL (Duke Thomas) is DC's secret shonen protagonist so I made him a fandom wiki

also, check out "The Signal Tape" a Duke Thomas fan project.

currently following:
    • DC: Red Hood: The Hill
    • Marvel: TBD
    • Manga (Shonen/Seinen): One Piece, My Hero, Dandadan, Jujutsu Kaisen, Kaiju No. 8, Reincarnation of The Veteran Soldier, Oblivion Rouge, ORDEAL, The Breaker: Eternal Force

"power does not corrupt, power always reveals."

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    Someone in the Bat office has plans for Tim and Steph, so I wouldn't be surprised if those two leave Young Justice when 5G triggers.

The Teen Titans Annual out in April has I WAS ROBIN on the cover... it looks like Damian is either quitting or getting fired. So 5G might have a new Robin to go with the new Batman.
    That's interesting, do you think we'll actually get a new Robin, or another new Not-Robin?

I haven't been following the news about this so I wasn't aware how much time is supposed to pass. Anyone think someone in the family might settle down, maybe we'll see some new bat kids, or is the no happiness rule still in place? I dunno, I just got the impression this was a short term thing. Or maybe it will be if it doesn't do well.

that would require fans to not flip their **** whenever any major change occurs or for DC to stick to their guns with their creative choices and letting their talent develop their characters and ideas organically.
    It felt like Morrison was the one to shake up the status quo with Batman and Robin Reborn, and that Snyder and King (Superheavy and City of Bane respectively) both used changes in the status quo to tell stories about why the status quo should be maintained (Dick becoming Batman versus Jim Gordon and Flashpoint Thomas Wayne).

Quote Originally Posted by E.Marie View Post
    I haven't been following the news about this so I wasn't aware how much time is supposed to pass. Anyone think someone in the family might settle down, maybe we'll see some new bat kids, or is the no happiness rule still in place? I dunno, I just got the impression this was a short term thing. Or maybe it will be if it doesn't do well.
    Depends on whether or not it's a jump-cut to X years later. But if it is, I could see a couple things changing off panel and then writers circling back during their run. Honestly if you had asked me who would be most likely to settle down that during Seeley's Nightwing run I would have said Dick, but I can't really see anyone settling down now as it is. If there are changes, they might be (and I hope):
    • Dick Grayson enters the Bludhaven Police Department
    • Jason Todd continuing to mentor young metahumans in the DCU
    • Tim Drake working cold cases, maybe part-time university student (pickng up from Tynion's Detective run)
    • Cassandra once again being called the One Who Is All by the League of Assassins, while acting as Batgirl
    • Stephanie being a part-time university student, while acting as Batgirl
    • Barbara either coming back to Gordon Clean Energy and acting as CEO, acting as Oracle, or enters the Gotham City Police Department, all while the Birds of Prey are brought back to be a force within the DCU
    • Damian becoming CEO of Wayne Enterprises, though maybe a greater change would him wanting a simpler life maybe?
    • Duke being a university student, maybe see the return of his parent's health
    • Luke's company possibly buying out a portion of Wayne Industry's R&D, Lucius is brought into the fold of Foxtech
    • Jean-Paul becoming the head of Order of St. Dumas
    • Kate marrying Renee (probably off panel)
    • Harper returns in a supporting role (I'm allowed to hope)
    • Jim Gordon retiring, and Bullock actually continuing to be the GCPD's Commissioner.