Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Spectacular Member

Default WW cited in The Flash 750

For those of you not reading The Flash, a key revelation/confirmation from the stories in #750:

• One story tells that Jay Garrick was inspired by Wonder Woman’s appearance in 1939.
    • In another story, Jay Garrick not only talks about Diana being his inspiration, but a newspaper headline reinforces that Wonder Woman is now the first hero to have appeared in the DCU.

Quote Originally Posted by JackBNimble View Post
    For those of you not reading The Flash, a key revelation/confirmation from the stories in #750:

• One story tells that Jay Garrick was inspired by Wonder Woman’s appearance in 1939.
    • In another story, Jay Garrick not only talks about Diana being his inspiration, but a newspaper headline reinforces that Wonder Woman is now the first hero to have appeared in the DCU.
    I so don't like it. To me it's just trying to hard to make her the most special by making her first and she wasn't. I don't like care for retcons to add specialness. I think it makes it seem like TPTB didn't think the character had enough going for them all along. And yes, it does feel "stolen" to me. And I still thinking tying her to back WWII is a long-term detriment to the character. But, obviously DC doesn't care what I want. And things I don't like have been phenomenally popular in past, so perhaps this one will be, too.

My whole response is "Whooptie doo" I was fine with her being third of the Trinity. If they want to impress me they'd put their money where their mouth is and let her physically beat Superman like he did her in the Justice League movie.
    Last edited by Koriand'r; 03-04-2020 at 10:20 PM. Reason: posting while dodging machine gunfire

La dee da.

Just because DC retconned Diana into being the (in kayfabe) first superhero isn't going to change the fact they treat her like crap. It's just more lip service and will only create more problems.

I'm not really into it either, especially how it retroactively effects the JSA.

Thanks, I hate it.

It'd be really annoying if they do all this build up and then not give her an all Star creative team. I can totally see that happening unfortunately

Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I'm not really into it either, especially how it retroactively effects the JSA.
    Yeah. It feels weird. I get that she's an immortal and it makes sense in that context, but making her a direct inspiration for the JSA is kind of weird.

I thought she was just going to kick of the age of heroes but instead I guess they're trying to make her what Superman is to actual history. Eh, not a fan to be honest, but it's not the end of the world. I still preferred the JSA being the first people in continuity, usually Alan.

Or even the Crimson Avenger.

Diana could work, but this wasn't it.

It's way too forced.

Spectacular Member

I don't really care. If she is the first, good. If she is not, good too. It all depends of what they do after. But i would be really pissed if Steve is in WW2 and not in modern age...

I think having Diana inspire the JSA is a way of fixing a major political correctness problem. In the original golden age stories, Diana was basically the team's secretary! They didn't treat her like the heroine she is.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    I think having Diana inspire the JSA is a way of fixing a major political correctness problem. In the original golden age stories, Diana was basically the team's secretary! They didn't treat her like the heroine she is.
    Why does she even need to be involved with the JSA at all? She's more known as a member of the Justice League.

But then again, I'd say she benefits very little from either of those teams so this change is just pointless.

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    From the way I understand it, Diana became the JSA secretary in order to solve a policy problem. Diana joined the Justice Battalion back in June 1942 (All-Star Comics #11), ostensibly as a full member. But the publisher had the idea that the JSA was only for heroes without their own title, and Wonder Woman started to headline her own title at right about the same time. So instead of removing Diana entirely, they made her the secretary.

Personally, I'd love for any JSA relaunch to include Wonder Woman as the team's secretary-general.
    «Speaking generally, it is because of the desire of the tragic poets for the marvellous that so varied and inconsistent an account of Medea has been given out» (Diodorus Siculus, The Library of History [4.56.1])

Retired

What 750! I haven't bought many comics in the last few years, but how did I miss it when FLASH hit 400, 500, 600 and 700? I'm totally blank on when any of those comics came out and my memory of comics was one of the things I used to pride myself on. Am I going senile? I'd better schedule an appointment with my doctor. Might be time to put me in a home.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly View Post
    What 750! I haven't bought many comics in the last few years, but how did I miss it when FLASH hit 400, 500, 600 and 700? I'm totally blank on when any of those comics came out and my memory of comics was one of the things I used to pride myself on. Am I going senile? I'd better schedule an appointment with my doctor. Might be time to put me in a home.
    Those issues don't exist. Here's how they worked it out.

#1-104 Flash Comics #1-104 (Jay Garrick)
    #105-350 The Flash #105-350 (Barry Allen, pre-Crisis)
    #351-597 The Flash Vol 2 #1-247 (Wally West)
    #598-609 The Flash Vol 3 #1-12 (Barry Allen)
    #610-661 The Flash Vol 4 #1-52 (New 52)
    #662-749 The Flash Vol 5 #1-88 (Rebirth)

Issue 400:

Issue 500:
    Last edited by Digifiend; 03-05-2020 at 09:10 AM.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman