Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

I think it's due to the fact he is working on the Black Label. Phil did say there is an issue with him and DC at times.

Where it comes to beginners who want to jump into Wonder Woman. Would you suggest his run?

Quote Originally Posted by AmiMizuno View Post
    I think it's due to the fact he is working on the Black Label. Phil did say there is an issue with him and DC at times.

Where it comes to beginners who want to jump into Wonder Woman. Would you suggest his run?
    I think his run is a little more continuity heavy, so while his run is one I’d definitely recommend as a top tier WW run, Rucka’s Rebirth run is better as an intro to someone who has never read a WW comic imo

Retired

As a Wonder Woman artist, I liked PJ's work. But as a Wonder Woman writer, I can't say I thought it was all that good.

Incredible Member

Phil really took on trying to re-establish all the relationships and character dynamics that had gotten lost in the shuffle with all the previous writers since Perez. So I definitely don't think his run is ideal for someone who doesn't know anything about Wonder Woman. You really want to start with the Perez run in the 80s. It's a solid and thorough examination of her world and characters. From there you can read Phil and Greg Rucka's runs, or you can go back to the Golden Age and see how things were done back then, or skip forward to Rebirth if you'd like.

I think it's difficult to give him a ton of credit on the writing front, firstly because his art is so spectacular and secondly because there was so much editorial interference during his run that none of the stories flowed properly because they were constantly being interrupted by DC events.

...with that being said we all know he pulled off one hugely significant story moment with all of the drama and emotion it deserved. So no one can say he's a bad writer. He also came up with some really good ideas, and again, developped the ones that other writers had left hanging there.

I do wonder what Phil would have done if he had had a second run on the book with less editorial interference and enough time to polish things as he saw fit.

But then I still wish Rucka had been able to continue his original run without the stupid one year later and Omac stuff screwing things up.
    Last edited by DisneyBoy; 02-07-2020 at 01:50 PM.

He's my favorite WW writer after the big three (Marston, Perez, Rucka) and one of my favorite artists in general.

Quote Originally Posted by AmiMizuno View Post

Absolutely! One of the things he (and Rucka later and Byrne before him) did was draw on Diana's then rich, storied, and majestic continuity. I know the first arc is often criticized for its awkward dialogue but it provides an excellent introduction to the Wonderverse (and the Batverse too if we are honest).

Do check it oush!

BANNED
    Themyscira, Wundagore Mountain, Talok VIII

To me, his art always has had that whole George Perez-lite quality that made me love his art.
    I remember some of his writing as clunky.
    But he seems like a lovely guy in real life and he loves WW.

He showed some Historia artD6B0FCC9-2D03-466C-B981-659B4EDCD83A.jpg

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

That seems like it's going to be a spread of all the goddesses.
    I'm wondering if they are only going to be from the Greek pantheon or we will see some others?

All we know is it will be about the Amazons and Hippolyta history

I haven't read too much of Jimenez's stuff, so take this with a grain of salt.

As a writer, he benefits from an immense knowledge of Wonder Woman's history. However, he seems to lean towards highly complex storylines and wanting to include as much lore as he can, and not asking if it's the right lore for the story he is trying to tell, or the most appropriate amount of lore. I'm also unsure how good he is at finding and eliding toxic or unwanted subtexts in stories.

As an artist, he is without a doubt excellent, though his personal style isn't to my taste (which runs towards the more stylised and linework-oriented artists, like Darwyn Cooke or Cliff Chiang).
    «Speaking generally, it is because of the desire of the tragic poets for the marvellous that so varied and inconsistent an account of Medea has been given out» (Diodorus Siculus, The Library of History [4.56.1])

I really enjoyed his run. I think he had a strong grasp of Diana's character and was doing a great job of pulling together all the disparate elements of the mythos into one, cohesive, run while also doing a great job of building up Donna and her relationship with Diana.

That Lois Lane issue is one of my favorite WW stories.

I really enjoyed Jiminez's run on the title.

Wonder Woman's book at the time was suffering from a series of writers who kept coming in and unnecessarily trying to reinvent everything, one after the other.
    Too many disparate stories about seemingly different Diana characters. IMO Jiminez worked hard to pull all the threads and characters into one unified mythos.
    I loved that he made frequent use of Donna and Cassie, and that he pulled Helena/Fury into the fold as well (after a fairly ignored story made the connection in DC Legends).

Great grasp of the character, draws her beautifully to boot. If any writer should get a second shot, its him. For my money better than Rucka, Simone, or pretty much any modern interpreter.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by FutureWonder View Post
    To me, his art always has had that whole George Perez-lite quality that made me love his art.
    I remember some of his writing as clunky.
    I agree on both points. I'll be honest, I never really cared for his characterization of Diana or the direction he took the series.
    Keep in mind that you have about as much chance of changing my mind as I do of changing yours.