Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bad Idea

Default Bad Idea

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/he...l-plan-1276969

Any thoughts on the new publishing venture from the guys who rebooted Valiant? (Personally, I think it's short-sighted to neglect the digital market in this day and age.)
    I still miss Renee Montoya. Oh, and I'm a dude.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by armlessphelan View Post
    https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/he...l-plan-1276969

Any thoughts on the new publishing venture from the guys who rebooted Valiant? (Personally, I think it's short-sighted to neglect the digital market in this day and age.)
    That is a failure waiting to happen.

20 Stores will have the books and one per person policy?

Guess what will happen-they put out a book and it ends up on Ebay at blood money prices.

Look at Scout Comics-some of those books go for way too much because not everyone (even stores who ordered them) got copies.

And don't let a book get a movie option-that jacks up the price.

And what happens to the fans in cities where there are no stores that sell the books? That is alienating fans from the jump.

I can understand no trades but do that when everyone can access your products.

They look like they are going after collectors. I would hate to see what happens if someone famous did a book for them.

Gonna be interesting.Wonder if any shops in Houston will be getting any copies.
    "If you look up at me you will see a friend. If you look down at me you will see an enemy. But if you look me square in the eye you will see a God."-Bray Wyatt

Astonishing Member

What about reader in other countries, like Europe? Can I order the books from bad idea?

I guess the books will be very rare and are hitting eBay with prices to the moon.

For many there will be no other option except piracy or not reading the book...

Quote Originally Posted by DanMad1977 View Post
    What about reader in other countries, like Europe? Can I order the books from bad idea?

I guess the books will be very rare and are hitting eBay with prices to the moon.

For many there will be no other option except piracy or not reading the book...
    Europe isnt a country...

But Dinesh was asked about distribution outside of the US on Twitter. He replied that the 20 stores would most likely be in the US, but that there would be 'other ways' of reading the books.

I cant help but feel that they havnt revealed the whole plan, here...

I wonder if they are planning on embracing piracy or something.

They did a big ass interview at Multiversity about it.
    Last edited by Dark-Flux; 02-07-2020 at 07:29 AM.

Embracing piracy? Not without a digital edition. Most of the pirate scanners nowadays just buy them from Comixology, download them, and torrent or reupload them.

Bad Idea picked a good name... because their business model is exactly that, a bad idea.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Dark-Flux View Post
    Europe isnt a country...

But Dinesh was asked about distribution outside of the US on Twitter. He replied that the 20 stores would most likely be in the US, but that there would be 'other ways' of reading the books.

I cant help but feel that they havnt revealed the whole plan, here...

I wonder if they are planning on embracing piracy or something.

They did a big ass interview at Multiversity about it.
    That cracked me up

Reminded me of Rocky, where someone said: I was in Jamaika. And Rocky said to himself: Ah cool...Europe!

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    Embracing piracy? Not without a digital edition. Most of the pirate scanners nowadays just buy them from Comixology, download them, and torrent or reupload them.

Bad Idea picked a good name... because their business model is exactly that, a bad idea.
    Bruh, you think comic piracy only took off when digital hit?

Half the content on Marvel Unlimited is scanned physical books and thats a legit platform.

Comic shop retailers themselves scan and upload issues. Thats usually how stuff leaks early.
    Last edited by Dark-Flux; 02-07-2020 at 08:57 AM.

Before digital, the pirates' scans were MUCH poorer quality. They don't usually bother scanning printed comics nowadays, unless that title doesn't have a digital source. And they'd need the physical copy to do so in that case - which won't be easy to obtain if these comics are so scarce.

Also, I know for a fact that Marvel's comics on the pirate sites are indeed lifted from the official digital editions and are not sourced from shop retailer leaks. The indicia is a dead giveaway. I assume they get the comics from other publishers the exact same way.
    Last edited by Digifiend; 02-07-2020 at 11:43 AM.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    Before digital, the pirates' scans were MUCH poorer quality. They don't usually bother scanning printed comics nowadays, unless that title doesn't have a digital source. And they'd need the physical copy to do so in that case - which won't be easy to obtain if these comics are so scarce.

Also, I know for a fact that Marvel's comics on the pirate sites are indeed lifted from the official digital editions and are not sourced from shop retailer leaks. The indicia is a dead giveaway. I assume they get the comics from other publishers the exact same way.
    Im not disputing that most comics hosted on pirate sites these days are just copies of digital editions. Im saying that the uploaders wont give up on pirating just because they have to scan the issues instead. Thats what they used to do anyway. Scarcity doesnt matter. Theres all kinds of rare books scanned and uploaded already. Again, retailers themselves will probably do it. As they do with other initial non-digital books like FCBD issues.

I like this in that it’s unusual and a good shakeup to the status quo. On the other hand, I don’t like that I won’t be able to buy the books.
    “To the future or to the past. To a time when thought is free, when men are different from one another and do not live alone - to a time when truth exists and what is done cannot be undone: from the age of uniformity, from the age of solitude, from the age of Big Brother, from the age of doublethink - greetings!" - Winston Smith

Astonishing Member

Any idea how to get my hands on a Bad Idea title without even living in the USA? Pre Order through the Previews catalog isn't possible, because they self distribute, right?

Totally ridiculous.

Why would I support a company which doesn‘t want me to get its product?

Here in Europe I‘m in a comics heaven nowadays, so much to choose from, not even having the monetary funds to purchase the barest minimum of what I‘d like to have.

No Sir (or Madam), thanks but no thanks.

Astonishing Member

You are right, of course. Why bother with a artificial scarce made product (can I say it like that?).

The thing is, I like some of their ideas, but they have to overthink it.
    Not doing Trades? Ok, fine. But please, second prints or third prints instead if there is demand.
    Not going digital? No problem, but don't cry about piracy then.
    Only limiting to 20 shops? Biggest **** up.
    Not going to distribute it to foreign countries? What the hell?

I want to read the books! I want to spend money, but not more than cover price.

Oh yes, I like fresh ideas, I give them that.
    That being said, I‘m not into speculating in general.

While I understand collectors, my love for comics is first and foremost reading them. For this I don‘t need variant cover, limited print runs etc.

While this model will surely have some speculators to support it, I for one am out.

Well, not being in the US makes it obvious anyway.