Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Wait didn't Jimmy and Clark already had the conversation about his secret identity un Superman 18 ?
    Also what happened to WW being mad about it ?

Extraordinary Member superduperman's Avatar

finally read it. My favorite story is the one about Lois' hate mail.
    Assassinate Putin!

Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Marvel Wars View Post
    Wait didn't Jimmy and Clark already had the conversation about his secret identity un Superman 18 ?
    Yeah, they did. Lois told Jimmy.

Fraction's was way better, and since it comes after, I'm considering it a retcon. All the Fraction stuff (Superman meeting his former teacher, the Booster moment and Jimmy) were my favorites. I admit a lot of that comes from his hilarious way of spoiling them on the Word Balloon podcast, particularly the teacher bit.

Phantom Zone Escapee manofsteel1979's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly View Post
    I hate the cool dad syndrome with Jonathan Kent. The job of a father isn't to be a cool dude, it's to set an example and sometimes be the strong authority figure. Here's Jon dude telling his son that school sucks and he's using foul language not just in front of his wife but directly to his young, impressionable son. We're supposed to believe that Clark got his wholesome values from his parents, but out of nervousness that readers won't like the Kents because they're not cool enough and too square, the writers force them to have some edge and disrespect for mainstream institutions.

And then look at how JK talks, like he's a bumpkin that never learned no good grammar and pronunciation, because he paid no attention in school. But look at how Lois Lane talks so fine, because she's a proper educated lady. Eeyuck!

And I know that Clark and Lois have to look like fashion models, but why can't the Kents look like regular folks--rather than young, unwrinkled hotties?
    Blame Smallville.At least as far as the youth thing goes . As much I liked their versions on that show almost every comics version of the Kent's in Clark's past have been progressively younger with each reboot or retcon. Heck there was a short time there just before Infinite Crisis (around Superman vol 2 #200)where they depicted the Kents in modern day as being almost as young looking as Lois and Clark!

As for how JK is the "cool dad" now....it's probably a bit of Bendis writing himself into it with a bit of how Grant Morrison portrayed him during his New 52 Action Comics run.
    When it comes to comics,one person's "fan-service" is another persons personal cannon. So by definition it's ALL fan service. Aren't we ALL fans?
    SUPERMAN is the greatest fictional character ever created.

Nothing. Rucka went nowhere with it. Instead he made it that Batman was the one who was mad because he's suddenly jealous of Superman being able to live out in the open with a family (stupid because Bruce has a family and has had one long before Superman). Wonder Woman was just there listening to his rant and she's fine with everything. Why the visual teases of her being upset I have no clue.
    Last edited by Sacred Knight; 02-15-2020 at 10:01 AM.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

Astonishing Member

I think the point Bruce was making was Clark having his cake and eating it too. They both have families obviously but Clark is choosing to live out in the open, it's not about family per se but about all aspects of his life suddenly being rolled into one while Bruce's isn't, and by his own choosing. Whatever Bruce was feeling in that moment, it's impossible to miss how "freeing" Clark's decision is for Superman on a personal level. Whatever consequence come, they will not change that and Bruce is self aware enough to acknowledge it is his weir way.
    Last edited by rpmaluki; 02-15-2020 at 10:06 AM.

Fair enough there, there certainly is a difference in how Bruce's family works and how Clark's does. In a meta way though its funny how his jealousy actually encapsulates why this is all such a terrible direction for Superman. He is having his cake and eating it too. There's no conflict anymore, no strong difference between the two sides of his life. Its all blended now, and it all works quite seamlessly. Still so disappointed to see him neutered like this.
    Last edited by Sacred Knight; 02-15-2020 at 10:18 AM.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

Quote Originally Posted by Sacred Knight View Post
    Fair enough there, there certainly is a difference in how Bruce's family works and how Clark's does. In a meta way though its funny how his jealousy actually encapsulates why this is all such a terrible direction for Superman. He is having his cake and eating it too. There's no conflict anymore, no strong difference between the two sides of his life. Its all blended now, and it all works quite seamlessly. Still so disappointed to see him neutered like this.
    This is kind of my problem with it too, but I guess I'm accepting of it because this is probably the end of Clark Kent as Superman so it's his final victory lap.

The Man Who Cannot Die manwhohaseverything's Avatar

What two sides? His act and his real self? Can his act be classified as a side?he was a vigilante. He used the act to fool people. I don't think it's as much complicated as people say it is.

Quote Originally Posted by manwhohaseverything View Post
    What two sides? His act and his real self? Can his act be classified as a side?he was a vigilante. He used the act to fool people. I don't think it's as much complicated as people say it is.
    I think there's a distinction between Clark Kent and Superman even if he plays up certain aspects of Clark Kent to fool people, but I think he projects a little with Superman too.

Quote Originally Posted by manwhohaseverything View Post
    Superman and Clark Kent should always absolutely be two sides. With legitimacy and acting being peppered throughout both. If anything DC has consistently failed for the past 3 decades at making it as complicated as it should be. The more complex the dichotomy is, the more interesting the character is. Its been dumbed down for many years, and now a writer has taken the plunge to just expunging it altogether. Its not good for the character. IMO.

The Man Who Cannot Die manwhohaseverything's Avatar

Superman and Clark Kent should always absolutely be two sides. With legitimacy and acting being peppered throughout both. If anything DC has consistently failed for the past 3 decades at making it as complicated as it should be. The more complex the dichotomy is, the more interesting the character is. Its been dumbed down for many years, and now a writer has taken the plunge to just expunging it altogether. Its not good for the character. IMO.
    If clark or kal(depending on memory) is really the one they call superman. Then, it is an act. they aren't two sides. I could play the idiot. Doesn't mean the idiot became a part of me. Is the joker now a side of Joaquin Phoenix?It isn't complex. It was straight forward.it is true that an actor channels some part of himself into his part. But, that doesn’t the character becomes a side of him.

Dude, superman is about making the complex into simple so that even a kid could understand,without talking down to them.He is like a good joke. More you elaborate him and explain him. He would fall apart. The reason writer find it hard is exactly the same reason.

Quote Originally Posted by Robanker View Post
    Yeah, they did. Lois told Jimmy.

Fraction's was way better, and since it comes after, I'm considering it a retcon. All the Fraction stuff (Superman meeting his former teacher, the Booster moment and Jimmy) were my favorites. I admit a lot of that comes from his hilarious way of spoiling them on the Word Balloon podcast, particularly the teacher bit.

Nothing. Rucka went nowhere with it. Instead he made it that Batman was the one who was mad because he's suddenly jealous of Superman being able to live out in the open with a family (stupid because Bruce has a family and has had one long before Superman). Wonder Woman was just there listening to his rant and she's fine with everything. Why the visual teases of her being upset I have no clue.

Come on, I listened several podcast from those three writers and they always say they are talking to each other almost every day and they still can't be coherent in their work...

Seriously DC makes me crazy lately...

Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

Come on, I listened several podcast from those three writers and they always say they are talking to each other almost every day and they still can't be coherent in their work...

Seriously DC makes me crazy lately...
    There is that old adage that Bendis only worries about his own continuity, and while I like his run, this is one of those times it really showed. Fraction wrote the better scene so that's the one I'm considering canon.

Quote Originally Posted by manofsteel1979 View Post
    Blame Smallville.At least as far as the youth thing goes . As much I liked their versions on that show almost every comics version of the Kent's in Clark's past have been progressively younger with each reboot or retcon. Heck there was a short time there just before Infinite Crisis (around Superman vol 2 #200)where they depicted the Kents in modern day as being almost as young looking as Lois and Clark!

As for how JK is the "cool dad" now....it's probably a bit of Bendis writing himself into it with a bit of how Grant Morrison portrayed him during his New 52 Action Comics run.
    This reminds me of how people complained about the way aunt May was shown in the recent Spider-Man. She's portrayed by Marisa Tomei. Who was in her 50s when the film was made.

this is something I've always found weird. "Aunt" May looks more like Pete's grandmother in most media..

So how old should the Kents have as their in-universe age?