Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Retired

I hate the cool dad syndrome with Jonathan Kent. The job of a father isn't to be a cool dude, it's to set an example and sometimes be the strong authority figure. Here's Jon dude telling his son that school sucks and he's using foul language not just in front of his wife but directly to his young, impressionable son. We're supposed to believe that Clark got his wholesome values from his parents, but out of nervousness that readers won't like the Kents because they're not cool enough and too square, the writers force them to have some edge and disrespect for mainstream institutions.

And then look at how JK talks, like he's a bumpkin that never learned no good grammar and pronunciation, because he paid no attention in school. But look at how Lois Lane talks so fine, because she's a proper educated lady. Eeyuck!

And I know that Clark and Lois have to look like fashion models, but why can't the Kents look like regular folks--rather than young, unwrinkled hotties?

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly View Post
    I hate the cool dad syndrome with Jonathan Kent. The job of a father isn't to be a cool dude, it's to set an example and sometimes be the strong authority figure. Here's Jon dude telling his son that school sucks and he's using foul language not just in front of his wife but directly to his young, impressionable son. We're supposed to believe that Clark got his wholesome values from his parents, but out of nervousness that readers won't like the Kents because they're not cool enough and too square, the writers force them to have some edge and disrespect for mainstream institutions.

And then look at how JK talks, like he's a bumpkin that never learned no good grammar and pronunciation, because he paid no attention in school. But look at how Lois Lane talks so fine, because she's a proper educated lady. Eeyuck!

And I know that Clark and Lois have to look like fashion models, but why can't the Kents look like regular folks--rather than young, unwrinkled hotties?
    I'm pretty okay with the Kents looking young in flashbacks, because most Superman teen flashbacks are like, "20 years ago". They definitely don't have to look like hotties, they don't have to look like the TV Smallville Kents or anything like that, definitely just normal folks, decent looking, primarily because well they're not well off (and god knows, it's hard enough economically to sustain a small family farm this day and age), but they have that nice working-class dignity.

But it's always kind of clear that writers and probably artists in particular didn't grow up on farms. Like, Pa Kent should almost 100% of the time have muck boots on that are filthy with cow ****, and in the house always just be rocking socks. And 90% of his clothes should be dirty because most farmers are their own auto and tractor mechanics, so if it isn't dirt and grit from cows and corn and hay and mud, it's motor oil.

The Kent farm, its Kansas location, and more, are usually played more as a crop farm with a lot of cornfields. Seems like they primarily grow corn. Nowadays probably soybeans, too, and alfalfa, for proper crop rotation. But I feel like I've seen them depicted as having cows. It never seems set up to be a dairy farm so gotta assume those cows are beefers. And it's the Kents, the people who raised Superman, so this day and age I feel like we can assume they're probably raising organic crops and livestock. I'd wonder if maybe one of them might have gone to college for Agriculture.
    Retro315 no more. Anonymity is so 2005.
    retrowarbird.blogspot.com

Retired

All of my relations grew up on Saskatchewan farms--they had livestock, poultry and vegetable gardens, but they mainly grew grain crops like wheat. Yes it was really smelly and dirty--I remember going back there for the first time and being overwhelmed by the smell. One of my uncles (I had about twenty) ran the local store and gas station as well as having a farm, and he took me out in the cab of his oil truck as he delivered oil to all the farms in the area, so I got to see what life was like. The bulk of my cousins went to university and half of them ended up as teachers--compared with them my siblings and I (all raised in a working class section of Vancouvr) felt like morons. The entire family were God-fearing Christians and would never swear in mixed company. I never knew my mother or father to swear in my presence--I'm sure my father could, given he was a lumberjack and a soldier--but swearing was not allowed in our house.

Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    I can tell you that Booster Gold will be in the book lol, Fraction spoiled what he’ll be doing in a podcast episode. It sounds hilarious I can’t wait to read it.
    I laughed so hard when I heard that while working. I need more Fraction at DC.

Honestly, I'd love to see Vic read it in a paper then look over to a wall where he has this MASSIVE string chart trying to link Clark's identity. I'm talking Charlie Day conspiracy meme wall of string and paper. He'll stare at it a second, almost zen, then very tenderly put his newspaper down. Sit silently for a moment and then flip a desk.

One thing I've learned over the years is you can't judge someone's education by the way they talk. There's a lot of people who sound smart, until you ask them a question. Then people who will talk like a dumb hick while accurately describing how a nuclear reactor works.

Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

I think it makes sense if we consider the golden age Clark being in there as well. A little contempt for authority and the status quo had to come from somewhere and Jonathan being a bit rambunctious with an untempered inner youth makes enough sense. It's also as American as it gets. We left the crown because we didn't feel the authority reflected our interests, so screw 'em. I think it's a wise lesson to assume that just going to school isn't going to equate to success and that Jonathan values action more than, perhaps, the safe method of doing things. He's raising an alien-- to hell with what's normal or expected. Moreover, he's not saying Clark can't learn anything in school, just that it sucks. "School" also translates to the people there, i.e., bullies, cliques, etc (which is what he inferred). Jonathan has always been a straight-shooter and salt-of-the Earth kind of guy. I can't imagine he has much patience or respect for some of the petty behavior that is prevalent in public schools, so he'd absolutely agree that school (and work, frankly) can suck. He'd also rightfully tell Clark that change comes from people who do something to make a difference and that he alone can make his and other's situation better through action-- which I feel he did.

I can buy that this guy raised someone to do the right thing even if it's against the rules-- that's Superman. I know Clark is usually on the side of the law, but I've always considered him a champion of the people, and I don't see Jonathan's words here steering him away from that path.

EDIT: I misunderstood what I was talking about; pls to disregard.
    "You know the deal, Metropolis. Treat people right or expect a visit from me."

As a huge fan of Elliot Maggin's work on Superman, it frustrates me to see a Miracle Monday reference in the Superman Heroes issue. Mainly because it shows Bendis either didn't read Miracle Monday or ignored how the story ended. With Superman binding C. W. Saturn into granting him a wish to reverse everything the demon had done, including revealing Superman's secret identity of Clark Kent to the world. Maggin knew that genie had to be put back in the bottle whereas Bendis doesn't seem to have grasped this obvious problem.

Incredible Member magha_regulus's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Lvenger View Post
    As a huge fan of Elliot Maggin's work on Superman, it frustrates me to see a Miracle Monday reference in the Superman Heroes issue. Mainly because it shows Bendis either didn't read Miracle Monday or ignored how the story ended. With Superman binding C. W. Saturn into granting him a wish to reverse everything the demon had done, including revealing Superman's secret identity of Clark Kent to the world. Maggin knew that genie had to be put back in the bottle whereas Bendis doesn't seem to have grasped this obvious problem.
    I'm right there with you. The other thing that irks me about this issue is the part about Superman and his highchool teacher. That was story represents almost everything I dislike in an approach to the character.

THE MARK OF MY DIGNITY Superlad93's Avatar

As a huge fan of Elliot Maggin's work on Superman, it frustrates me to see a Miracle Monday reference in the Superman Heroes issue.
    Ha! Clark did get his identity revealed in that book didn't he? Somehow I totally forgot, and that made Booster calling it that so strange for me, but now it's actually really cool. It's an alternate take on the idea where it's not the end of his world, or even something that needs "fixing". Nice little nod there.
    "Mark my words! This drill will open a hole in the universe. And that hole will become a path for those that follow after us. The dreams of those who have fallen. The hopes of those who will follow. Those two sets of dreams weave together into a double helix, drilling a path towards tomorrow. THAT's Tengen Toppa! THAT'S Gurren Lagann! MY DRILL IS THE DRILL THAT CREATES THE HEAVENS!" - The Digger

We walk on the path to Secher Nbiw. Though hard fought, we walk the Golden Path.

Extraordinary Member DragonPiece's Avatar

Thought for sure Clark's parents would show up in this in present day..

Astonishing Member

I thought this was alright.

The bit with Jimmy was my favorite by a long shot because they played it so low-key. The teacher thing ... a little tougher. I mean it played nice enough but I kind of had a hard time imagining doing that. And I still live pretty local to quite a few of my teachers, am doing well enough for myself, and interact with them once in a while. Also I've been out of high school probably a lot less time than Clark Kent would have at this point and even most of my teachers who were younger are closer to retirement. So for this guy to still be teaching, you'd think he'd have been like, the youngest, coolest teacher at the school, the one all the kids liked, not STRICT-BUT-FAIR-GUY.

But I still thought this was an alright one-shot, better still for having a second-half featuring the villainy angle. Definitely succeeded for me more than the Alfred one-shot.
    Retro315 no more. Anonymity is so 2005.
    retrowarbird.blogspot.com

Yeah, Grant Morrison killed Clark off too, and his Superman used a wish to bring him back as well, though his Kal wasn't outted... what is it about stories where Superman fights the Devil that involve saving Clark?

Maybe we can get Clark back by similar means if this Secret Revealed stuff ever blows over. Which I doubt, but hope for.
    "You know the deal, Metropolis. Treat people right or expect a visit from me."

Quote Originally Posted by Adekis View Post
    Yeah, Grant Morrison killed Clark off too, and his Superman used a wish to bring him back as well, though his Kal wasn't outted... what is it about stories where Superman fights the Devil that involve saving Clark?
    Because it's Superman saving his soul from the devil.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

The Man Who Cannot Die manwhohaseverything's Avatar

Clark is the human. Superman is the god apparently. God saves human soul from devil. Its doesn't get more blunt than that.