Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Apparently, Killing Off Alfred Was DC's Decision Not Tom King's

While appearing as a guest on Word Balloon with John Siuntres, King was asked about the choice to kill Alfred and whether he got push back when it came to ending the hero's life. "I got the opposite of push back. I got push forward. I sort of had this cliffhanger where Alfred, at the end, was gonna, could perish. And I put it in the script, like, of course we'll figure this out later and he's not dead. And DC's like, 'No, why isn't he? Why's he not dead?' And I'm like, 'Well, because he's Alfred and he has to live forever because he's a fantastic character.' And they're like, 'No no no no, he's dead.'"

https://www.cbr.com/tom-king-didnt-w...red-batman-dc/

Spectacular Member

I'm not sure why this is coming out as news now. I thought it was said months ago that Alfred staying dead was DC's call and not Kings. (Maybe it was more of a rumor and speculation back then based on in story clues and previous interviews?)

Alfred was always kinda boring to me Luscious Fox is a much better character and someone who always isn't against Bruce being Batman
    Julia Pennyworth is cool too
    If DC lets this stick then they have my confidence all the way

Quote Originally Posted by Phoenyxx1481 View Post
    I'm not sure why this is coming out as news now. I thought it was said months ago that Alfred staying dead was DC's call and not Kings. (Maybe it was more of a rumor and speculation back then based on in story clues and previous interviews?)
    I thought that it was specifically stated back then that making Alfred really long-term dead was DC's reaction to the enormous fan reaction the death brought. My response then and now is "meh" - because I don't think it's sticking long-term. Also don't care about Luke as Batman, and don't want to see the father/son dynamic repeated with his headquarters guy, even if I did. Not that I expect the dynamic to work the same way, really, since hopefully they'd be at least somewhat emotionally healthier.

And Alfred's death really has nothing at all to do with why I dislike King's run. As I'm not reading the comic anymore, I often forget it even happened. If it lasts three years, maybe then I'll care enough to go back and read this era of stories.

Though, without Alfred's death being intended to be (semi)permanent, what was that change that was supposed to change Batman for 15 years that King was working on?

FTR, I don't have the Alfred-love that's so widespread in the community, though I do generally like him. I don't prefer the parental relationship though, and lately have been thinking of the particular relationship between him and modern Bruce sort of negatively (mostly in terms of the changes in Batman himself - the dynamic is a consequence, not a cause). And I've never been interested in Julia and kind of wish she didn't exist. Moreso when he raises Bruce. More her role and connection that's my issue, not characterization.
    Last edited by Tzigone; 02-07-2020 at 11:54 AM.

Astonishing Member

Alfred is to Bruce what Aunt May is to Peter Parker. Both should be long dead. It got stale years ago. Both characters can thrive better without them...even when Alfred does not feel like a dead weight like Aunt May.

Incredible Member

The problem really wasn't that Alfred died, I was kinda suspecting it would happen because all the Robins had already died at some point (in some cases fake died, but it counts) and killing an important character is very common for final arcs.
    It's the execution that didn't work for me, even when we reached the very end of King's run.
    And if Alfred hadn't really died then we would just have another pointless shock value cliffhanger at our hands, which King already had enough of in his run and especially in City of Bane. So not much better really.

True. Dick faked his death when he joined Spyral, Jason's is one of the most famous comic book deaths of all time, and of course he eventually got resurrected, Tim was mistaken for dead in Joker's Last Laugh, and Damian was once killed and resurrected as well.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

I guess DC must have been in the planning stages of 5G back then, to the point where they would approve taking out major characters like this.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nite-Wing View Post
    Alfred was always kinda boring to me Luscious Fox is a much better character and someone who always isn't against Bruce being Batman
    Julia Pennyworth is cool too
    If DC lets this stick then they have my confidence all the way
    I think Alfred's issue with Bruce being Batman makes for a more interesting and nuanced dynamic then if he was just all-for it, but that's just me.

Not that I don't like Lucius, but he doesn't really have much of a developed dynamic with Bruce in the comics on the level of Alfred.

IMO his death wasn't shocking, his daughter's apparent indifference is the shocking part. Does Julia Pennyworth even know?

Quote Originally Posted by Bat-Meal View Post
    IMO his death wasn't shocking, his daughter's apparent indifference is the shocking part. Does Julia Pennyworth even know?
    The actual question would be, do most of the the writers remember Julia? Because I think that's actually the problem: they don't so they don't show her reacting. It's sad how they're cutting out even well known supporting cast. A year and half Leslie, now Alfred...

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    True. Dick faked his death when he joined Spyral, Jason's is one of the most famous comic book deaths of all time, and of course he eventually got resurrected, Tim was mistaken for dead in Joker's Last Laugh, and Damian was once killed and resurrected as well.
    Even Kara Zor-El was resurrected. It took almost 20 years, but she came back. I suspect it won't take 20 years to bring Alfred back to life.

Quote Originally Posted by Osiris-Rex View Post
    Even Kara Zor-El was resurrected. It took almost 20 years, but she came back. I suspect it won't take 20 years to bring Alfred back to life.
    Kara was rebooted, not resurrected. Her original self ceased to exist after the Crisis (she died during it, but afterwards it was as if she never existed), she re-appeared in the 2000s, then got rebooted a second time with almost everyone else in New 52.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Incredible Member Gotham citizen's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Bat-Meal View Post
    I don't think it isn't shocking, because in this moment she is bringing the Alfred's corpse in one of the Lazarus pits to resurrect him.

Oh my God: I was making a joke, but the story of a daughter who face a long difficult and dangerous journey to resurrect her father, can actually work!

Extraordinary Member thwhtGuardian's Avatar

It really doesn't matter whose idea it was...the execution was terrible. I can take "shocking" deaths in comics with the best of them just as long as the story is good and it just wasn't here.

Quote Originally Posted by Arctic Cyclist View Post
    I call BS. King was the one who suggested it for his story, therefore it was his idea the same as Dick Grayson's amnesia. The fact that the editorial insisted that his story choices have some lasting consequences instead of the hollow one he was writing doesn't mean that it was not King's idea. It just means that someone said "Make it meaningful, Tom. Give Bruce a real reason to be upset as no adult will swallow a grown man over 30 being that upset over an ex dumping him again."

This is called playing the PR machine to try and get readers to forgive his story choices bby passing the blame.
    I kinda have to agree with this, if he didn't want to kill him then he shouldn't have suggested it in the first place.