Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Legendary God of Pirates Nik Hasta's Avatar

Default Geralt of Rivia (Netflix) versus Shin of the Hi Shin Unit (Kingdom)

A duel between an old man with a sword versus a young man with a sword.

This is Netflix Geralt with his regular sword and armour loadout. He has a few potions on his person.

This is current Shin as of the start of the current arc, in armour but armed only with his normal sword rather than Ouki's glaive.

The battle takes place in the throne room of the Kingdom Qin but it is deserted.

For the purposes of this thread, Shin is considered too strong willed to be swayed by Geralt's mind magic. All other forms of his magic are in play.

Who wins this duel between practical hard-bitten swordsmen?

nice to meet ya! master of read's Avatar

hmmmm

that is all.

I'm pretty solid on Geralt's stuff. What can you tell me about Shin?
    "At the end of the day, Arby is a pretty prolific poster proposing a plurality of proper posts for us."
    - big_adventure

Quote Originally Posted by The Arbiter View Post
    That it was a Shin to pit him against the Witcher.
    Yeah, but if you... man, we're getting into weird analogy territory, like if you disintegrated Superman's arms he wouldn't be able to go "fool! Little did you know that my arms and I are one and can be remade from me!" and will his arms back into being from pure nothingness. - Pendaran

Arx Inosaan

Friendship's Shockwave BitVyper's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Cthulhu_of_R'lyeh View Post
    That it was a Shin to pit him against the Witcher.
    Shince you think you're so clever, why don't you Rivial your reasoning
    I am a mighty wizard from magic lands

Quote Originally Posted by BitVyper View Post
    Shince you think you're so clever, why don't you Rivial your reasoning
    I'd have to ask Apple's Ciri to make sense of what you've said here.
    Yeah, but if you... man, we're getting into weird analogy territory, like if you disintegrated Superman's arms he wouldn't be able to go "fool! Little did you know that my arms and I are one and can be remade from me!" and will his arms back into being from pure nothingness. - Pendaran

Arx Inosaan

Witcher the words that gave you trouble?

Gonna just try and breeze by your punning.

Quote Originally Posted by The Arbiter View Post
    Shin is an eighteen-ish year old Chinese military commander. He's been fighting with a sword, successfully, since he was about ten.

In terms of strength, he's strong enough that him clashing blades with an opponent broke the legs of the horse his opponent was sitting on. He's got a bunch of feats of carving his way through groups of armoured opponents faster than they can reasonably fight back, taking out squads of assassins alone and the like.

I can get more feats but I'm going out tonight so it might need to wait until tomorrow.

Okay, a more in depth look at Shin.

His strength is a little tough to figure out because he's doesn't really lift or punch stuff that often for that matter. Some indications of how physically strong he is are as follows:

- When striking an opponent on horseback with an overhead slash, Shin hits him with such force that the horse his opponent is sitting on's legs break.
    - Shin striking at an opponent hit with such force that his opponent was sent flying at least two metres and she in turn sent three armoured men flying as well.
    - Once he starts using his glaive, he is capable of sending multiple armoured opponents flying into the air and breaking shield lines by himself.

In terms of speed, there's a really nice one:

- Shin's friend gets wounded really badly and falls to his knees on his way to the ground. In the time it takes him to fall from his knees to the floor. Shin bisects a man, beheads another two, kills a further six men who were surrounding his friend and still manages to catch his head before he hits the ground. All his opponents were in armour but they may as well have been wearing cheese for all the difference it made.

And in terms of skill, Shin is kind of a prodigy. He's primarily self taught but he went from struggling against a single assassin at the age of about 11, to being able to slaughter a group of 9 assassins by himself a little over a year later. He's fought against some of the best swordsman in the lands and managed to win. He is quite the skillful murder boy.

Any thoughts on the match?

With that kind of resume i'd give it to Shin personally. Geralt is tough, but he isnt near as fast or strong from what i've seen.

Well, Geralt has sent people flying, particularly the Striga, which he hurled across a room with a punch, completely stopping and reversing her own considerable forward momentum. He was also wrestling around with her and she was strong enough to snap multiple rows of thick chain links at once. She was winning, but he was coming off as being able to at least grapple with her. He also moved a thick stone (or maybe metal? I couldn't tell) sarcophagus lid on his own while beaten to a pulp and exhausted.

That breaking the horse's legs thing is... weird though. I'm not really sure how superhuman Shin would have to be to do that, and it partly depends on how much gets absorbed by the guy crumpling under the hit.

Speed sounds reasonably comparable to Geralt's arrow time.

So, I was getting the scan of the horse feat to just post it here and discovered that, at some point, I was working on a Kingdom respect thread and have a couple of scans to hand. Most of them are from quite early in the series though.

Anyhow, horse:

Also another feat of him blocking an arrow that I'd forgotten:

And a feat of a young Shin lifting a ton of barrels:

I also found I had a pretty good feat of durability for him:

And a similar feat of taking a hit from Houken:

In both instances he got up and kept fighting.

Yeah okay, if each of those barrels is taking two men to lift, then he should have Geralt beat for strength. Speed still seems about even.

Barrels? Those are bales of rice.

Should be mentioned that the Shin mentioned in the thread start has at least another head of height or so of growth compared to the ones in the pictures.

Surviving the blow from Houken is noteworthy because Houken at that point was doing the "cut through half-a-dozen men with a single swing of my glaive" thing. At that point in the story, Houken was basically the enemy's cheat code - he'd win just about any fight you could get him to show up to.
    ---

Sincerely,

Melchior, the Geddon Knight