Mighty Member

Default theory on the current x-run

This may have been floated by others.

But, my guess is that the current x-books are not set in 616 Marvel. This is not a question of consistency with the other comics (which Marvel really does not give a damn about).

During "House of X" and "Power of X", it was established that McTaggert was a mutant who could re-incarnate backwards, with the chance to re****** and change her life each time. She was able to use what she had learned in one life while living her next life.

In most cases, they bigger changes that she made involved some kind of disaster, which she would work to prevent on her next pass at life.

Many of the current x-books involved the character dealing with a threat that is manifesting in response to Professor X's nation building efforts. The current run(s) are likely to end with yet another disaster (and learning experience) for McTaggert. When she applies that lesson, the changes will result in the X-books being restored to 616 stasis quo.

Thoughts?
    Current pull-file: Batman the Detective, Batman: Legends of the Dark Knight, Marvel Dark Ages, Nightwing, Superman Son of Kal-El, Transformers, Transformers: King Grimlock, Warhammer 40,000 Sisters of Battle
    -----------------------------
    - http://www.theanimalrescuesite.com/

I think they've been public about announcing that Moira's life now is current and accurate 616 Marvel Universe as we have been reading for the last 80 years. What this really means is that a> we've got plenty of options for "alt-universe" and "What If" storytelling that they love to do in order for us to see what happened in those other lives and want to give people breaks from the ongoing stuff. b> if they want to do another "reboot" of the entire Marvel Universe, all they ever need to do is kill Moira and they won't need to lean heavily on some weird mega science or cosmic entity change up that always seems to be the source.
    Team Yana Bachalo Fanboy Cyclops Was Right

Unless Jane Foster: Valkyrie, Savage Avengers, Black Panther, Immortal Hulk, Amazing Spider-Man, Black Cat, and the upcoming ‘Juggernaut’ are all also in an alternate universe, then everything we’ve seen so far is happening in the 616.

I too recall it being publicly said that this is the 616, though I don't remember who said it, Hickman or Jordan. Plus as Tycon mentions, Krakoa and the current mutant status quo has been mentioned in many other Marvel books outside of the X-World. So it's looking pretty solid that this is the 616!
    "Danielle... I intend to do something rash and violent." - Betsy Braddock
    Krakoa, Arakko, and Otherworld forever!

Spectacular Member

Now x-books has had some dramatic crossover with other books. I don't think Marvel is going to let all books play a play with the x-books to fool all readers, not just the x-readers.

Mighty Member

Well, that theory can be put to rest then. (I only read a few series, so the evidence mentioned above just sort of escaped me.)
    Current pull-file: Batman the Detective, Batman: Legends of the Dark Knight, Marvel Dark Ages, Nightwing, Superman Son of Kal-El, Transformers, Transformers: King Grimlock, Warhammer 40,000 Sisters of Battle
    -----------------------------
    - http://www.theanimalrescuesite.com/

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by CentralPower View Post
    Thoughts?
    HoX/PoX made it clear that Moira's 10th Life is in fact 616 Marvel, on a Watsonian level, HoX/PoX and so on takes place in 616 Marvel.

On a Doylist level,
    -- The idea that the current run of X-Men, not only Hickman's but also DoX overall including the satellite X-Books (which are also successful and acclaimed in their own right) are not really happening or don't count runs counter to the effort and hard work and level of conviction on display throughout. It means that Hickman is wasting a bunch of stories rather than actually telling the real story.
    -- Likewise, Krakoa and its happenings are acknowledged in a number of Marvel titles so that means that a number of Marvel titles published in 2019-2020 onwards didn't really happen which is ludicrous and unfair to editorial and all the other writers.
    -- HoX/PoX/DoX are commercially successful and ultimately the marketplace has settled that these stories happen in 616 Canon.

In the long term, will the changes and stuff that Hickman did eventually be undone...i.e. the X-Men return to the mansion, Xavier returns to his wheelchair, and so on...will that happen? Probably. I think Hickman will leave the toys back in the box so to speak when he's done. But at the same time a lot of stuff he introduced will remain and continue to last. Kitty Pryde won't be part of the Hellfire Club and a sea captain of a war-yacht forever, maybe Betsy Braddock won't be Captain Britian for good. Apocalypse and Magneto might go back to being bad guys. That might be what Hickman eventually does with them. But it will be part of these characters' histories going forward and stuff that later writers/editor can choose to use/lose as they please. Will stuff like House Of M and Decimation return? Probably not, since the whole rights' issues which led to that happening isn't there anymore.