View Poll Results: Who is your favourite of the New Xavier students?

Voters
110. You may not vote on this poll
  • GOLDENBALLZ [Fabio Medina]

17 15.45%
  • HIJACK [David Bond]

11 10.00%
  • MORPH [Benjamin Deeds]

13 11.82%
  • STEPFORD CUCKOO [Celeste Cuckoo]

10 9.09%
  • STEPFORD CUCKOO [Irma ‘Mindee’ Cuckoo]

4 3.64%
  • STEPFORD CUCKOO [Phoebe Cuckoo]

3 2.73%
  • TEMPUS [Eva Bell]

41 37.27%
  • TRIAGE [Christopher Muse]

11 10.00%
Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Children of the Revolution; NEW XAVIER SCHOOL APPRECIATION

Located in Alberta, Canada; Cyclops [Scott Summers] opened a new school for gifted mutants in a re-purposed Weapon X facility, adding several new mutants to the roster, and some refugees from the JGS.

So I just finished the Iron Man Special (Part 2 of 3 "No End in Sight"), which started in Uncanny X-men's annual... and it occured to me I really do love these kids. Bendis has actually created some amazing character, with a good balance of personality and powers. You have the "born to be a hero" Eva Bell, you have the loveable coward Goldenballs, the shy chameleon Benjamin Deeds, the bad-boy Hijack, the heart-of-gold Christopher Muse. Each are visually different, each unique and wonderful. And they deserve an APPRECIATION thread.

KEY ISSUES
    #2 - the Stepford Cuckoos join the team, leaving the JGS
    #3 - Eva Bella delivers her class speech on Captain America, meet her mother back in Australia, takes out the Avengers
    #7 - Goldenballz quits team
    #8/#9 - meet Fabio's family, interrogated by Dazzler, Agent of S.H.I.L.D.
    #14 - Benjamin Deeds focused issue, Benjamin comes out as gay
    #15 - the girls go shopping
    #17/#18 - field trip to Tabula Rasa, Hijack kicked off the team
    #20 - Hijack interrogated by Maria Hill
    #21 - Hijack rejoins the team, having stopped Dark Beast
    "No End in Sight" (Uncanny X-men Special #1, Iron Man Special #1 and Nova Special #1)

FULL LIST OF APPEARANCES (outside of Uncanny X-men)
    http://comicbookdb.com/team.php?ID=4595
    A+X (2012) #11
    All-New Doop (2014) #1 - 'The Real Battle of the Atom'
    All-New X-Men (2013)
    #16 - 'Battle of the Atom Part 2'
    #17 - 'Battle of the Atom Part 6'
    Iron Man (2013) Special 01 - 'No End in Sight Part 2 of 3: Faking It'
    Wolverine (2014) #4 - 'Rogue Logan Part 4 of 4'
    Wolverine & The X-Men (2011) #36 - 'Battle of the Atom Part 5'
    X-Men (2013)
    #5 - 'Battle of the Atom Part 3'
    #16 - 'Bloodline 4 of 5'
    #17 - 'Bloodline Conclusion'
    X-Men: Battle of the Atom CHAPTER 1 (2013)
    X-Men: Legacy (2013)
    #9 - 'Judgment Of Diana'
    #16 - 'Wear the Grudge Like a Crown'
    #17 - 'Wear the Grudge Like a Crown: part 2'
    #22 - 'Antibodies'
    X-Men: No More Humans (2014)

Last edited by Kieran_Frost; 08-10-2014 at 04:37 AM.

CHARACTER BIOS
    GOLDENBALLZ
    First Appearance: Uncanny X-Men (2013) #1
    Family: Father, mother (Gloria), sister (Jennifer)
    Bio: Found by Cyclops and his "revolution" mutant team.
    Powers: Can create gold colored "balls"
    Other Information: Quits team end of Issue #6 (after arc w. Dormammu). Rejoining at the end of issue 9.

HIJACK
    First Appearance: Uncanny X-Men (2013) #6
    Powers: ability to control machines
    Other Information: Last name revealed in Uncanny X-Men #8. Cyclops gave David his codename in #9.

MORPH
    First Appearance: All-New X-Men (2013) #3
    Bio: Was discovered by Cyclops, Magneto, Danger and Magik who tried to recruit him. They were interrupted by the time-travelling young versions of the original X-Men.
    Powers: Partial shape-shifter. He makes those around him feel comfortable and as though he can be trusted.
    Other Information: came out as gay issue #14

Last edited by Kieran_Frost; 08-10-2014 at 04:39 AM.

STEPFORD CUCKOO
    First Appearance: New X-Men (2001) #118
    Family:
    Bio: Formerly a member of Cyclops' Corsair Squad before the squads were disbanded. Retained powers following M-Day, along with her sisters.
    Powers: Part of a telepathic hive mind, which allows her and her sisters working together to manipulate vast amounts of telepathic power, in order to read the minds of others, project their thoughts psionically, manipulate perceptions of reality, and assume control of another person’s actions and thoughts.
    Other Notes: It has been hinted that the Stepford Cuckoos were connected to the Weapon Plus program, as Weapon XIV units 1-5.

STEPFORD CUCKOO
    Family:
    Bio: Mindee was romantically involved with a pyrokinetic student named Germaine. He was killed by a mob of angry humans following Xorn I/Magneto’s destruction of New York City and the Xavier Institute. Mindee joined forces with Gambit to help repel the attack of the latest incarnation of the Brotherhood of Mutants led by Exodus. Mindee plays the piano.
    Powers: Part of a telepathic hive mind, which allows her and her sisters working together to manipulate vast amounts of telepathic power, in order to read the minds of others, project their thoughts psionically, manipulate perceptions of reality, and assume control of another person’s actions and thoughts.
    Other Notes: It has been hinted that the Stepford Cuckoos were connected to the Weapon Plus program, as Weapon XIV units 1-5.

STEPFORD CUCKOO
    Family:
    Bio: Formerly a member of Cyclops' Corsair Squad before the squads were disbanded. Retained powers following M-Day, along with her sisters.

TRIAGE
    First Appearance: All-New X-Men (2013) #1
    Family:
    Bio: Found by Magik. Befriended fellow new mutant Eva Bell.
    Powers: healer
    Other Notes: carries a bo staff. Took his codename in Uncanny X-Men #04.

TEMPUS

First Appearance: All-New X-Men (2013) #1
    Family: mother in Australia
    Bio: Australian mutant, found by Cyclops' X-Men, post AvX.
    Powers: Able to stop time for everyone but herself within a sphere she creates.
    Other Notes: travelled to the future and has seen something awful. Captain America was her idol growing up. Codename first revealed in Uncanny X-Men #1 (2013).

Last edited by Kieran_Frost; 08-10-2014 at 04:52 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kieran_Frost View Post
    Located in Alberta, Canada; Cyclops [SIZE=1]

KEY ISSUES
    #2 - the Stepford Cuckoos join the team, leaving the JGS
    #3 - Eva Bella delivers her class speech on Captain America, meet her mother back in Australia, takes out the Avengers
    #7 - Goldenballz quits team
    #8/#9 - meet Fabio's family, interrogated by Dazzler, Agent of S.H.I.L.D.
    #14 - Benjamin Deeds focused issue, Benjamin comes out as gay
    #15 - the girls go shopping
    #17/#18 - field trip to Tabula Rasa, Hijack kicked off the team
    #20 - Hijack interrogated by Maria Hill
    #21 - Hijack rejoins the team, having stopped Dark Beast
    "No End in Sight" (Uncanny X-men Special #1, Iron Man Special #1 and Nova Special #1)
    Great list, I would also add ANXM #01 (is Eva and Christopher first appearance and when they join the team)

Yeah definitely a great list, and I have to agree that they are a really cool group of characters that Bendis introduced. Hell I even like what he is doing with the Cuckoos and I never really cared much for them before. I also really like them interacting with the All-new X-men, some really weird/ fun character interactions happen whenever they meet.

Edit: My vote is Goldballs, he's very funny and it's not to often that we see a competent hero who doesn't have the regular skinny guy, six pack look.
    Last edited by sifighter; 08-10-2014 at 06:34 AM.
    "It's fun and it's cool, so that's all that matters. It's what comics are for, Duh."
    Words to live by.

I voted for Benjamin Deeds. Issue #14 was one of my favourite issues of last year (one of my favourite single issues of the last 3 years, probably). Not only was Emma's training of Morph a joy for any Frost fan to witness, I just love his power. It's so original and fun, both sweet and hilarious at the same time. His personality is great, and I'm loving him in the "Special" annuals. I hope he and Mindee become BFFs

Quote Originally Posted by AnaFrost01 View Post
    Great list, I would also add ANXM #01 (is Eva and Christopher first appearance and when they join the team)
    Oh, excellent point. Will add it now

QUESTION: has Bendis done enough to make people like Triage?

On old-CBR I organised "the definitive X-kid" polls (where every living X-kid got a chance to be voted on) and poor Triage didn't even manage A SINGLE VOTE (you can see the finalist poll here: http://community.comicbookresources....HOWDOWN-Finale). So what is it about Triage that doesn't capture anyone's imagination?

Is it that people like him, but they prefer the others more? It can't be his powers, because Elixir was so popular he made it into the final. So what is it? He real name and code name is cool. Triage has a great visual (the bo-staff is an instant win). He's got some 'steam-punk' costume, which always looks good. He is a black male who is neither drawn as a) bald or b) short no#2 all over (so that's at-least somewhat refreshing from artists). He ties second for me (with Mindee) after Benjamin. Is it just he's "always the bridesmaid"? I hope the next solo issue for one of the kids is focused on him. He needs some love.

I think it's because we don't know a lot about him, all we really know is that he has a crush on Irma and that his healing powers are more then just healing people. But what's his backstory? Where did he come from? Why does he not care about his old life or his family?

The moment he joined Scott's team he does away with his old life, wanting nothing to do with it. This is all just my opinion though.
    "It's fun and it's cool, so that's all that matters. It's what comics are for, Duh."
    Words to live by.

Quote Originally Posted by sifighter View Post
    I think it's because we don't know a lot about him, all we really know is that he has a crush on Irma and that his healing powers are more then just healing people. But what's his backstory? Where did he come from? Why does he not care about his old life or his family?

The moment he joined Scott's team he does away with his old life, wanting nothing to do with it. This is all just my opinion though.
    I think it's pretty much this as well. I like the general set up New Xavier has, but the kids need a bit more fleshing out. All of them have got their time to shine though, except Triage. I'm guessing it's because Bendis is waiting to deal with Tempus and her time bubble incident to reveal his back-story. If you'll recall, she was especially hostile towards him after returning while being very affectionate with Goldballz.

At least I hope that's the case, otherwise he's largely just there to serve as a plot convenience when we need people to heal.

Quote Originally Posted by xhx23x View Post
    I think it's pretty much this as well. I like the general set up New Xavier has, but the kids need a bit more fleshing out. All of them have got their time to shine though, except Triage. I'm guessing it's because Bendis is waiting to deal with Tempus and her time bubble incident to reveal his back-story. If you'll recall, she was especially hostile towards him after returning while being very affectionate with Goldballz.

At least I hope that's the case, otherwise he's largely just there to serve as a plot convenience when we need people to heal.
    Ohhhhhh... that's interesting. I too am excited for the time bubble revelation. I assume it's the next arc after Original Sin.

Quote Originally Posted by Kieran_Frost View Post
    Ohhhhhh... that's interesting. I too am excited for the time bubble revelation. I assume it's the next arc after Original Sin.
    Ditto, I think it's gonna be something big.

I think the problem with all of the kids is that they have been playing second fiddle to everything else going on around them. There have been these big storylines that involve the senior X Men so not really much for them to do except stand around making witty comments though perhaps Triage has had the worst of it since when a kids focused issue happens it's about somebody else. I'd like to know some of his past he seemed to be the most accepting of joining the X Men and leaving his family and i wondered if there was a big reason for that. Maybe he has nowhere to go back to because his family disowned him or is anti mutant? His crush on Mindee seems to be somewhat mutual so I'd like to see that go somewhere it seemed to be his interest in triplets that triggered her hair restyling and trying to become an individual maybe she wanted him to notice her over her sisters?

We might have to wait a while for much development of them though since the senior group have run off again to deal with their crap.

Christopher simply hasn't had his issue yet.
    Tempus has flourished throughout since her inception. Goldballs and Hijack have both played prominent and contraversial roles (one quitting, while the other expelled). Morph was provided his very own focus issue. The Cuckoos have been around for years.

Mr. Triage's time is coming. It will likely be during the Tempus Time Travel arc, when we get to see what got Eva all worked up upon her return, refusing to let him heal her.

What are people's thoughts about The Why to Tempus' reaction after her Bubble Trip?

Should we assume Christopher becomes evil at some point? Or maybe they dated? Or maybe Christopher betrays the team somehow? Or maybe Tempus was having some bad PTSD reaction and didn't want to be touched at the moment and Christopher will continue to just be there.

Ultimate Member

I went with Goldenballz. He's got a fun personality and has a cool visual. Depending on how his power evolves, the speed at which he can generate or expel his 'gold balls,' whether or not he can continue to manipulate them afterwards, or the amount of them he can produce, or whether or not he learns to create them at different sizes (perhaps even creating a giant hollow one as a defensive barrier, or to capture someone?), he's got a lot of potential.

The X-folk have already had two or three time-manipulating ladies and one to four mutant healer-dudes (depending on whether 'healing blood' counts), so Triage and Tempus are just boring copies of pre-existing mutants, about as exciting as yet another mutant who reads minds, or grows claws. Hijack and Morph aren't quite as common on the X-teams themselves (Whiz Kid, Madison Jeffries and Milan, the other mutant machine controllers or technopaths, weren't really ever X-peeps, that I remember), but still, not exactly shaking down the forest with their originality.
    Last edited by Sutekh; 08-11-2014 at 09:19 AM.